Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

steverowe
Mags On
Closest Airfield: FAFK

Homemade Electric Airplane

Unread postby steverowe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 am

:shock:
'If a black cat crosses your path, it signifies that the animal is going somewhere!' - Groucho Marx
Mauler
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: Vans

Re: Homemade Electric Airplane

Unread postby Mauler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am

I watched most of the series of videos yesterday.

He has quite a few very interesting design and construction ideas that seem to work very well. Congrats to him!

This is where regulations like the FAA's part 103 create the opportunity for a lot of innovation that is within the budget and other resources of the ordinary guy.
V5 - LEO
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread postby V5 - LEO » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

......great, RC motors, RC batteries and probably ESC as well - the Cri - Cri with the Jet motors was also RC motors - maybe a lot of work has already been done in RC, only need to scale it up and make it bulletproof???? =D> =D> =D>
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
richard C
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FASY

Unread postby richard C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am

Brilliant little Vickers Vimy that !!!

Quite a fire-cracker that youngster.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
MadMacs
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: GRJ

Unread postby MadMacs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Mauler wrote:I watched most of the series of videos yesterday.

He has quite a few very interesting design and construction ideas that seem to work very well. Congrats to him!

This is where regulations like the FAA's part 103 create the opportunity for a lot of innovation that is within the budget and other resources of the ordinary guy.

That's what I had in mind for the blimp that you went on, Mauler.
“The hardest thing to give away is kindness, because it always comes back to you.”

Ride The Restless Wind -free
Dead Men's Gold

http://novelbooks.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/120022681351417/
Mauler
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread postby Mauler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm

richard C wrote:Brilliant little Vickers Vimy that !!!

The real Vickers Vimy replica has Chevy 502 cubic inch engines. More my style!

Mauler
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread postby Mauler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm

His wing construction method is one that I have sometimes ruminated about (but never gotten off my butt to do it!) where he hot-wires the cores out of cheap styrofoam, sticks in wooden spars and skins it with fibreglass. Nice!

excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread postby excolonial » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 pm

I came across this guy and his "electric aeroplane" a little while ago. I must confess that I discounted him as an enthusiastic fool at first. His final product worked out quite well, and seems surprisingly robust.

I think he could have picked a simpler, and prettier design, but that is just nitpicking really. Also a little concerned at his flying technique.

All in all hats off to him, he took a fairly outlandish looking idea and made it work. A bit of fun for round the patch on calm evenings.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
GeraldNagel
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread postby GeraldNagel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I enjoyed his explanation and his acceptance of failures but rectifying it later.

Seems like a nice clever chappie.
Thermalator
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby Thermalator » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

I also think it would be easier to build a cantilever monoplane with modern materials. Obviously based on model construction techniques. The batteries are suitable for model scale, but Li-Po's are wrong for this scale - Li-Ion 18650s would be 60% lighter. Was quite amused with a feature I have thought about - jettison able Undercarriage.
info junkie
SaraLima
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Morning Star [FAMX]

Unread postby SaraLima » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Thermalator, I tend to agree with the monoplane idea, but would think that a parasol arrangement (a la Pietenpol) with struts would have provided stability and less weight than the bipe.
I must confess that this laatjie has got me thinking. It could be a fun project. I wouldn't use model airplane parts though.. :wink: :D
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
Airspeed, altitude or brains.. you always need at least two. - Volo ergo sum.
Mauler
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread postby Mauler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Thermalator wrote:I also think it would be easier to build a cantilever monoplane with modern materials. Obviously based on model construction techniques.

Yes. Construction would be simpler with a monoplane cantilever wing using Rutan-style laid-up spars rather than wood.

His choice of a strut n wire biplane configuration did surprise me.
Wingnutter
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Chek Lap Kok VHHH

Unread postby Wingnutter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 am

Very impressive achievement - have to admire his 'can do' attitude and getting off his arse and doing it.

I do find his cavalier, model aeroplane approach a bit concerning though (taped on pitot tube for instance, flight testing at night). I wonder what happens if he loses a motor - will he (and the rudder) be able to handle it? - they are model aeroplane motors after all, being pushed to the limits of their capabilities.

A very talented young chap though - he has some really interesting videos that display his talents from metal casting to laser cutting. I want that workshop!

Have to love the part 103 approach though - you're welcome to do what you want, just don't blame us if you kill yourself. Not many countries left where you have that freedom nowadays, especially in Asia.
Last edited by Wingnutter on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.
Mauler
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand

Unread postby Mauler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Wingnutter wrote:Have to love the part 103 approach though - you're welcome to do what you want, just don't blame us if you kill yourself. Not many countries left where you have that freedom nowadays, especially in Asia.

It makes sense, though. The authorities are not responsible even if you are a paying passenger. The Diane Berwick case established that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowie
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: FALA Lanseria

Unread postby Bowie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:52 am

Mauler's, Chevy 502 engines comment in the replica Vimy has reference.
The original Orenda engines were problematic and they put BMW M73 V12's in eventually go overcome the problems.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”