UK renewal

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Acrossthepond
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: EGSX

UK renewal

Unread postby Acrossthepond » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm coming up on the end of my first year living in the UK, which means that I need to renew my SA PPL Medical and do my flight test.

Any pointers on where or how I find a SA CAA approved AME and Instructor to do this ?

I'm based just outside London (North East) closest airfield is North Weald or Stapleford Aerodrome.
stefanlfouche
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: UK renewal

Unread postby stefanlfouche » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 am

Acrossthepond wrote:I'm coming up on the end of my first year living in the UK, which means that I need to renew my SA PPL Medical and do my flight test.

Any pointers on where or how I find a SA CAA approved AME and Instructor to do this ?

I'm based just outside London (North East) closest airfield is North Weald or Stapleford Aerodrome.

Stapleford will be able to help with the flight test but you will have to go to the UKCAA for the information on which paperwork to do. Its a massive hassle and alot of paperwork.
Ask to speak to a Woman called Lyndsey at Stapleford. she will help you.
If you want it........ Go and Get IT :D
Euro Flyer
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Supper.
Closest Airfield: Country side grass strip

Unread postby Euro Flyer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 am

My reading was that the poster was asking about how he could renew his SA license here in the UK ... don't think the UK CAA can help.

You could try getting a hold of Irv Lee on here, sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

EF
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby heinrich » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 am

Irv definitely the person to help with flight test renewal. (It's a drive/flight to Popham though, but that is also a good experience to fly from there.

I did my medical at Stansted airport (so it's close to you) and they do SA and UK medicals.

http://www.aviation-medica.co.uk/index.php

Hope this helps.
stefanlfouche
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread postby stefanlfouche » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 am

Euro Flyer wrote:My reading was that the poster was asking about how he could renew his SA license here in the UK ... don't think the UK CAA can help.

You could try getting a hold of Irv Lee on here, sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

EF

According to my knowledge of being in the process of obtaining the EASA conversion and traveling between the UK and ZA, you need to hold a validation in the UK on your ZA license to be able to renew from there. for that you need the UKCAA and the appropriate paperwork from SACAA. Unfortunately the SACAA is currently on skeleton staff and it takes ages to get anything out of them if ever. SFC at stapleford will be able to help with the process.
Roger
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread postby Roger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:05 am

Irv is your man. He does many SA renewals for Algoa FC trained guys now residing in UK.
Latest info as of Nov 2017:
• Foreign non-EASA PPLs (e.g. FAA PPL, SA PPL, NZ PPL) are no longer valid in 'G' registered EASA aircraft until the pilot follows new process with
instructor/examiner and submits a new CAA form. FAA PPLs should use the process outlined in CAA form SRG2140. Other foreign non-EASA PPLs
flying fewer than 28 days per year, their process is described in CAA form SRG2141, or form CAA SRG2139 if flying 28 days or more each year. All
should apply for licence verification via form SRG2142. Foreign PPLs must not fly in G registered EASA aircraft until this process has been completed.

Contact him here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6
If ever in doubt about flying - drink a beer.
That will give you at least 8 hours to think about it some more.
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby heinrich » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

stefanlfouche wrote:
Euro Flyer wrote:My reading was that the poster was asking about how he could renew his SA license here in the UK ... don't think the UK CAA can help.

EF

According to my knowledge of being in the process of obtaining the EASA conversion and traveling between the UK and ZA, you need to hold a validation in the UK on your ZA license to be able to renew from there. for that you need the UKCAA and the appropriate paperwork from SACAA. Unfortunately the SACAA is currently on skeleton staff and it takes ages to get anything out of them if ever. SFC at stapleford will be able to help with the process.

Also, if I remember correctly from 2 odd years ago, this UK validation on your SA license is only valid for 1 year. Don't ask me why, it was never like that back in the 2000's. In fact there was no formal 'validation' in my SA logbook for flying in the UK at all. They changed the rules since then and now I believe it's valid for 1 year only. Contact Irv, he knows exactly what is going on as he deals with this regularly so will be on top of the latest regs.
I never bothered with the validation as I wanted to move away from the SA license onto EASA anyway. Much better in the long term as I can now get ratings on my license which I wasn't allowed to use on my SA license while flying here.
stefanlfouche
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread postby stefanlfouche » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

heinrich wrote:
stefanlfouche wrote:

EF

Also, if I remember correctly from 2 odd years ago, this UK validation on your SA license is only valid for 1 year. Don't ask me why, it was never like that back in the 2000's. In fact there was no formal 'validation' in my SA logbook for flying in the UK at all. They changed the rules since then and now I believe it's valid for 1 year only. Contact Irv, he knows exactly what is going on as he deals with this regularly so will be on top of the latest regs.
I never bothered with the validation as I wanted to move away from the SA license onto EASA anyway. Much better in the long term as I can now get ratings on my license which I wasn't allowed to use on my SA license while flying here.

Do you fly commercially in the UK and if you do are you on a South African Passport?
Its difficult these days to convert regarding paperwork I guess. Even though having all the ICAO state ATP subjects in south africa, you still have to write all 14 again in the UK. its annoying as they all use the same type of questions.
heinrich
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby heinrich » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:12 pm

No not commercially, private only. (I naturalised in 2006, so have dual citizenship - UK & SA.)
Irv Lee
Incipient Spin

Unread postby Irv Lee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Using small screen phone, forgive any obvious fat finger keyboard errors!
Two things-
First, my ability to do it: when there was a large swap of S.A. personnel a few years ago my official sa caa issued exemption to do such flights outside SA was withdrawn mid term as the new officials didn't understand why it was needed. I had paid lots of fees to the sa caa every 6 months and done everything they wanted check wise but the new sa caa staff first denied the exemption existed then when I sent them proof they withdrew it immediately with (paid for) months to run. I had forgotten the basic rule, never prove anyone in power in SA wrong, you win the battle and lose the war.
So that has made a HUGE problem since for quite a few sa ppl holders in the uk as easa and therefore our uk CAA will not convert a sa ppl unless all aspects are valid (ie the ppl could theoretically be used in SA on the day they are ready to issue the easa licence). The trouble with this "every aspect must be valid" rule is (a) it is not what it appears to be what easa originally intended but the rule was loosely worded so it can be gold plated by gold plating officials- but easa has no appeal process (for obvious reasons, they never admit to being wrong)
(b) when easa came in, our uk CAA got rid of most staff so licence issue for all has taken around ten weeks for about the last 5 years, and if the conversion has been in the caa in-tray for 9.5 weeks and then the sa licence goes invalid in ANY way (even SA medical expires), conversion refused when they take it out of the inbox to process the next day. So with conversion requirements and a completely undefined "in box" time of months before the big issue day, some have spent big money and had conversion refused as they were not valid on day of issue - and if they have expired on the annual/biennial competency I can no longer fix that.
Now enough of my rant. The other aspect:
we now have two sorts of aircraft similar in a way to SA zs and zu but not the same exactly. We call them "easa" and "non easa" aircraft. The latter are officially called Annex ii (pronounced annex two). If the sa ppl is valid at home on a non-easa type (e.g. RV7) then no validation is needed to fly a uk registered one in the UK. If the aircraft is an easa aircraft (e.g. c172, pa28, etc), the pilot must now first follow one of two processes depending on whether he or she wants to fly fewer than 28 days per year, or 28 and more. These processes are best described by the forms to be filled in, and plans to convert must start. Google "uk caa form srg 2139" for one and 2141 for the other to see what needs to be done. I think form 2142 is also now required to get the home CAA to say licence is not suspended.
Irv Lee
EASA / UK Approvals http://www.higherplane.co.uk
Irv Lee
Incipient Spin

Unread postby Irv Lee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Ps:
Easa will not convert under 100 hours total time. So new "ace of base" brand new sa ppl with minimum hours, conversion refused, "randomly skilled" ( ;-) ) brand new ppl with 100 hours, welcome!
Irv Lee
EASA / UK Approvals http://www.higherplane.co.uk

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”