Steve Galinetti and Paul Scully 1998

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

Caponord
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Bethlehem

Steve Galinetti and Paul Scully 1998

Unread postby Caponord » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:20 am

Please could we spare a thought for Steve Galinetti and Paul Scully who were killed on this day in 1998. In what was an appalling twist of fate both these extremely competent pilots were killed in a Piper Supercub (180 hp) opposite Diepsloot. I was the owner of the aircraft and business at that time. I had left Paul and Steve at the hanger whilst Paul was briefing Steve on the Cub and banner towing. My parting words were 'less talking more flying guys.'
Being closely associated with the caliber of pilots they both were, never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that a Supercub would be their demise.
This is the first time in twenty years I am making known my personal opinion known about this accident.
The engine was fully operational (tested and confirmed)
There was rising ground at the scene of the accident.
There was a fairly high ant heap where I found glass from the right hand green nav light. CAA never got to walk that far.......
There was a tail wind of about 14 knots (I had checked with Lanseria)
They had made several passes over the same open field, pitching up as is done with banner towing. I found witnesses which CAA didn't....
I had Paul's dental records couriered up from Bloemfontein as it could not be verified who was sitting in the front of the aircraft. It turned out it was Paul in front.
Conclusion from CAA was 'error of judgement'
In deep reflection I believe it was a case of sloppy low speed controls (cables), enthusiasm about Steve getting to fly the Cub and the geographic locale.
I lost a very good squash partner that day (Paul) and shareholder (Steve).
The day before this I had told Paul that I was going to make him a shareholder in the business which would have put him on a par with Steve and a few other ex SAAF pilots also involved.
RIP
4Holer
Engine Cranking

Re: Steve Galinetti and Paul Scully 1998

Unread postby 4Holer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am

Sad story, can’t believe it has been 20 years!

I have used Steve (and Paul)’s sad demise as an illustrator many times since - “A Piper Cub is a very safe airplane. It can just barely kill you.” This statement is attributed to Max Stanley, a Northrop test pilot.

Never forget this, as I shall never forget Steve and his ebullient smile.
87Juliet
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread postby 87Juliet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am

Yes Richard, this was a horrible day, as bad as the day that Dominic died at FAGC in the C210T in '94. I flew with both those guys when I ad-hoc'd as ground crew for your business and knew them to be very competent.

RIP Chaps.
Jacques Taljard: Zero-Ate-Two Niner-4-Wun Seven-Zero-Sex-Two
Vorsprung durch Technik!
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread postby Whirly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm

Steve was a great guy and a very good pilot. We were together at 17 Squadron and Steve introduced me to the Alo II. Today I still own and fly one. :D

RIP my friend. :cry:

Whirly.
Jacobus Adriaan
(FSS,SSAW,NSC)
Of all things in life I have lost,I think I miss my mind the most!!
One of very few people never to have posted anything under the "NO" topic!!
I live by Hook's law........he said Murphy was an optimist!!
Richard Smit
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Stilbaai

Unread postby Richard Smit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Paul and I were on Pupe’s course, etc, together.

He was the epitomy of an officer, and gentleman. Also, the most precise, studious, and dedicated pilot among us. Paul approached each, and every flight as though it was the most important thing that he’d ever do.

I don’t know what happened that day, but I’m pretty certain that Paul and Steve weren’t playing silly buggers. It wasn’t their way.

Also, if the control rigging was sloppy, I think Paul or Steve would have had it seen to.

I have however wondered whether there was confusion about who had control? I never asked at the time, but I wonder how effective the intercom was in that particular Super Cub. On a low-level banner snatch, the flight profile wouldn’t have looked strange to the “non-flying” pilot(s), until it was too late. Just my thoughts on this baffling accident.

Rest In Peace Gentlemen.
Spool-Up
Brand
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: ORTIA

Unread postby Brand » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 pm

I think I met Steve on the Border during 1984 - gunship pilot at the time? What did he look like?
Attitude determines Altitude - in Flying and in Life........

Brand Wessels
micmaq
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: fash

Unread postby micmaq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:28 pm

I met Steve when he was a salesman/pilot with the company that were agents for the PZL Wilga aircraft

I was interested in buying a Wilga to put on amphib floats and Steve was finding out all the information for me and then everything went quiet - It turned out the agents went belly up and the three aircraft they had in inventory belonged to the manufacturer PZL - I contacted PZL and bought the three Wilgas from them - Steve sold one to Santon for traffic patrol which soon crashed injuring the lady observer but the pilot came out relativly unscathed - I bought the wreck from the insurance company to use for spare parts for my Wilgas

RIP Steve
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread postby Whirly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

Brand wrote:I think I met Steve on the Border during 1984 - gunship pilot at the time? What did he look like?

Brand,

Yes, he was there in 1984 flying gunships. Tall, blondish fellow with a huge boyish smile on his face most of the time. Will see if I can get a picture somewhere. :D

Whirly.
Jacobus Adriaan
(FSS,SSAW,NSC)
Of all things in life I have lost,I think I miss my mind the most!!
One of very few people never to have posted anything under the "NO" topic!!
I live by Hook's law........he said Murphy was an optimist!!
Caponord
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Bethlehem

Unread postby Caponord » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you to all the comments and acknowledgements to both these fine men.
My own very private thoughts on this echo what Richard Smit said in his post.
The comms were fine on the aircraft which I had flown quite a few hours. This was however solo but whilst doing my conversion I can't say there were any hassles. CLive (can't remember his surname had his avionics business rightnextdoor to us at Grand Central) and I often had the radios/intercom checked.
I honestly think it was a case of 'you have control', 'I have control', actually nobody has control. The cub also drops its right wing in a stall (I stand to be corrected) hence the green nav light on the anthill.
Paul was extremely precise with speeds, if for instance if my speed was 2 miles and hour out on initial and I didn't correct it Paul was an unhappy camper. Speed readings took on a whole new meaning with Paul's instruction and exactly the same on the 182 (MZE). I did however manage to fly to Potch once in the 182 and he didn't comment once on anything. Man I don't think I have ever concentrated so hard. Excellence begets excellence. Funny it was a perfect landing..........
The SAAF certainly taught you guys well.
Respect to you all.

Return to “We will remember them”