Moderator: Moderators

• Advertisement

Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Serious Cirrus SR22 Question

Unread postby Wonko the Sane » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Looking at cockpit photos, there is a distinct LH RH configuration. (Left seat left hand control, right seat right hand control)
https://www.google.co.za/search?q=Cirru ... 3882303472

On which side would one train?

Which side is seen as standard PIC seat?

What movement on the control? (in out, left right) or "loose" as a joystick

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
WilliamBooysen
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Lanseria FALA

Re: Serious Cirrus SR22 Question

Unread postby WilliamBooysen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm

I’ve flown a SR20 and SR22 (it is what I did my PPL on and have only ever flown Cirrus’s as PIC, the only other flying I did was flying a caravan from the right seat with my dad so that is what I am comparing it to) and the control movement is in and out & left and right on the “side yoke” much the same as on a conventional yoke just on the side of the cockpit.

Standard PIC is on the left (also evident by the 3/4 glareshield on the left hand side of the cockpit). So needless to say I learned to fly it from the left with the instructor on the right.

I have done a touch and go from the right seat and didn’t find it more difficult than flying from the left seat except that you have to look to the other side of the cockpit to see the instruments.
William Booysen
final_approach
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: East Africa

Unread postby final_approach » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi W,

You would train and fly from the left. I would call it a Side Yoke as you move it in, out, left and right, definitely not a side-stick. Takes 3 circuits and then you are used too the plane.

From Wikipedia
"In the case of Cirrus SR22, although the control looks like a side stick, It works like a yoke handle (referred to in the industry as a "side yoke")"
JSB
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread postby JSB » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

[quote="final_approach"]Hi W,

You would train and fly from the left. I would call it a Side Yoke as you move it in, out, left and right, definitely not a side-stick. Takes 3 circuits and then you are used too the plane.

"Takes 3 circuits and then you are used too the plane."

Utter BS - ask any instructor at CDC if they have ever signed off on a conversion after just 3 circuits.
Multirotordronepilot
Man found at unmanned airfield-What now?
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch

Unread postby Multirotordronepilot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

JSB wrote:
final_approach wrote:Hi W,

Utter BS - ask any instructor at CDC if they have ever signed off on a conversion after just 3 circuits.

Come on that's a million miles away from what the gentleman said.......... you should know better than that :shock:
Commercial pilot
Instructor
Responsible Person Aircraft
Grease monkey
VLOS/RVLOS/BVLOS operator
29 years of aviation and still Love everything about flying !!!!
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread postby happyskipper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Quite frankly, having flown everything from yokes, side-sticks, central Y sticks and standard sticks, a la Cubs etc.. it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get used to any control system..... either you have a "feel" for the required movements after a half an hour, or you should seriously stick to something less challenging. The same goes for flying from either seat.
:roll:
"There are no new ways to crash airplanes"
SaraLima
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread postby SaraLima » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm

happyskipper wrote:Quite frankly, having flown everything from yokes, side-sticks, central Y sticks and standard sticks, a la Cubs etc.. it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get used to any control system..... either you have a "feel" for the required movements after a half an hour, or you should seriously stick to something less challenging. The same goes for flying from either seat.

+ 1 - Bingo! :smt023 Happy.. you got that one dead to rights. :smt045

central Y sticks - Like in a Beaver? - Or the old Beechcraft "flip 'n fly" system?
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
Aviation is for real men - Because Rugby, Football, Tennis, Golf etc. only need one ball.
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread postby happyskipper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 pm

SaraLima wrote:
happyskipper wrote:Quite frankly, having flown everything from yokes, side-sticks, central Y sticks and standard sticks, a la Cubs etc.. it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get used to any control system..... either you have a "feel" for the required movements after a half an hour, or you should seriously stick to something less challenging. The same goes for flying from either seat.

+ 1 - Bingo! :smt023 Happy.. you got that one dead to rights. :smt045

central Y sticks - Like in a Beaver? - Or the old Beechcraft "flip 'n fly" system?

No - central Y stick as in modern and very light Jabi - yes, I admit to having 5 or so hours on a little jabiru... :?
:roll:
"There are no new ways to crash airplanes"
Backmarker
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof

Unread postby Backmarker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm

JSB wrote:

poster was referreing to getting used to the plane, not doing a convesion. eish
Greenie
SaraLima
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread postby SaraLima » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 pm

happyskipper wrote:No - central Y stick as in modern and very light Jabi - yes, I admit to having 5 or so hours on a little jabiru... :?

Aaah.. Thanks. :smt023
There are three simple rules for making a perfect landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
Aviation is for real men - Because Rugby, Football, Tennis, Golf etc. only need one ball.
final_approach
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: East Africa

Unread postby final_approach » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 pm

JSB wrote:

Well you are correct I doubt they will sign you out after 3 circuits but I was refering too the “feel” of the side yoke.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”