Overhaul Cost For A Continental O-170 65Hp Engine

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

Overhaul Cost For A Continental O-170 65Hp Engine

Postby bullet » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:42 am

What would the approximate cost be for the overhaul of a Continental O-170 65hp engine and who would you recommend for such an overhaul?
At this stage I unfortunately don`t have further details about the engine except that it is nearing TBO.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.
bullet
1k poster
1k poster

Postby Pete » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 am

Bullet you must be looking at a Taylorcraft or old J3 Cub :?: :wink:

The O-170 is basically the same as the A65-8 (no starter or jenny on rear case)

Parts are all still available from a number of sources in the US like Fresno Airmotive in CA. They also carry stock of the parts for that old Stromberg NAS-3 carb.
I would go with new cylinder kits which include all valves pistons etc as to overhaul the old ones normally opens a can of worms. The complete kit of 4 cyls costs around $3800 from Superior.
The bottom end is fairly straightforward and as long as the crank and cam is good you should have no major surprises.

I would also fit new mags (complete right hand rotation kits are available with sheilded harness and plugs from Unison, IIRC the part # is K4334) To mess with those old Eisemans or Bendix bricks will cause you headaches :wink:

There are a number of good shops here locally that I am sure would undertake such an overhaul but dont expect to get away with much under R100000 :shock: for a decent job :!:

PS: here is a good website with lots of gen for those little Conti mills :smt023 http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby bullet » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:57 am

You guessed correctly Pete!
Thanks a lot for the info. :)
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.
bullet
1k poster
1k poster

Return to General Aviation Chatter