SAAF Credit

Questions for the South African Civil Aviation Authority.

Moderator: Moderators

SAAFNAV
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: FAWK

SAAF Credit

Unread postby SAAFNAV » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Good day,

I'm hoping someone in the know could assist me.

In the 'olden' days, a SAAF Navigator got exemption for all subjects except for Air Law and Procedures.
I was aware that the law was being changed to include Flight Planning and Performance so was prepared to accept that and plan accordingly.

However, when I went through CATS 61.01.9 CREDITING OF FLIGHT TIME AND THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE (1. Recognition of prior learning and experience by South African Air Force (SAAF) pilots) NO mention is made of navigators anymore.

Why is there no crediting for Navigators anymore? Is there a possibility that I can use that pilot exemption as a navigators, or must I just bend over and accept that I must now go write all the subjects?

I would appreciate any help or contact details of anyone able to help me sort this out.

Regards,
Erich
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Re: SAAF Credit

Unread postby heisan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Not sure CAA answers this any more... This is the current regulation, as per the CAA web site:

(23) (a) A South African Air Force pilot or navigator may request to be fully or partially credited for theoretical knowledge requirements as detailed in Document SA-CATS 61 for individual licences or ratings issued in terms of Part 61.
(b) In the case of South African Air Force pilots—
(i)flight time shall be credited in full towards the issue of South African civilian pilot licences and ratings specified in this Part as detailed in Documents SA-CATS 61;
(ii)the applicable licence requested shall be endorsed with the classes and types of aircraft entered in the South African Air Force logbook of the applicant at the time of the request; and
(iii)the applicable licence requested shall be endorsed with the night rating in the category of licence requested.

Navigator can apply for credit towards theory, but gets no hours or ratings.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
SAAFNAV
Engine Cranking

Unread postby SAAFNAV » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks.

Would you mind telling me where you got that on the website?

That paragraph refers me to CATS 61.01.9 which now states ONLY PILOTS can get exemption for theory, and need to write Air Law, IR Procedures and Flight Planning Performance.

I'm afraid if I do the test now (I have the needed hours, as I know navigators never got the hour exemption), they will refuse me since I need to write all the subjects.
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Unread postby heisan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

heisan wrote:Not sure CAA answers this any more... This is the current regulation, as per the CAA web site:

(23) (a) A South African Air Force pilot or navigator may request to be fully or partially credited for theoretical knowledge requirements as detailed in Document SA-CATS 61 for individual licences or ratings issued in terms of Part 61.
(i)flight time shall be credited in full towards the issue of South African civilian pilot licences and ratings specified in this Part as detailed in Documents SA-CATS 61;
(ii)the applicable licence requested shall be endorsed with the classes and types of aircraft entered in the South African Air Force logbook of the applicant at the time of the request; and
(iii)the applicable licence requested shall be endorsed with the night rating in the category of licence requested.

EEP! Run, quickly - new regs come into effect on 1 March which remove the navigator from this.

Go to 'Information for the Industry' -> 'Legal' -> 'Aviation Legislation' (on the right).

Dig down to regs->CARS 2011 and CATS -> CATS 61. The version of CATS on there comes into effect on 1 March. The old CATS-61 is here:
http://www.caa.co.za/Legal%20Documents/SA-CATS%20Full/SA-CATS%201-2011.pdf

New CATS and inception date:
http://www.caa.co.za/Legal%20Documents/SA-CATS%201-2018.pdf
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
SAAFNAV
Engine Cranking

Unread postby SAAFNAV » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

heisan wrote:
heisan wrote:Not sure CAA answers this any more... This is the current regulation, as per the CAA web site:

EEP! Run, quickly - new regs come into effect on 1 March which remove the navigator from this.

Go to 'Information for the Industry' -> 'Legal' -> 'Aviation Legislation' (on the right).

Dig down to regs->CARS 2011 and CATS -> CATS 61. The version of CATS on there comes into effect on 1 March. The old CATS-61 is here:
http://www.caa.co.za/Legal%20Documents/SA-CATS%20Full/SA-CATS%201-2011.pdf

New CATS and inception date:
http://www.caa.co.za/Legal%20Documents/SA-CATS%201-2018.pdf

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thanks. I planned to get it all sorted out very soon, but will now push to fly my test and apply before the end of the month - even if it is only for VFR CPL.

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Erich
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo

Unread postby Whirly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Don't put your hopes too high as they rarely grant you any credit, it is still subject to approval by the Commissioner if I remember correctly. Many tried, a few succeeded but just as many never received any credit. :?

Whirly.
Jacobus Adriaan
(FSS,SSAW,NSC)
Of all things in life I have lost,I think I miss my mind the most!!
One of very few people never to have posted anything under the "NO" topic!!
I live by Hook's law........he said Murphy was an optimist!!

Return to “CAA General Questions”