How much Instructors make On Average

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
KingManuel
Flight Planning
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm
Closest Airfield: wonderboom

How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by KingManuel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Hello Goodday,Out of curiosity i wanted to know how much a flight instructor makes on average per month
User avatar
FAKRMike
Avionics Master On
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 pm
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by FAKRMike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:55 am

On average they make decent pilots... dont think they earn a great deal of money though but its not really the point i dont think.
LongRangeCruise
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 5:03 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo Intl
Location: Johannesburg

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by LongRangeCruise » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am

you can budget between 9-12 k net per month. That's for a grade 3. Grade 2 is marginally more.
They are usually paid a low basic salary and then around R150-R200 per hour for flying or briefing.
User avatar
Mike Gough
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:36 am
Location: home, airport, hotel..

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by Mike Gough » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

LRC pretty much has it...

The fling-wing guys get a lot more, but then its probably danger pay. :shock: :lol:
User avatar
747TDR
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:19 pm
Closest Airfield: EICK
Location: County Cork, Republic of Ireland

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by 747TDR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

FAKRMike wrote:On average they make decent pilots... dont think they earn a great deal of money though but its not really the point i dont think.


You're right on both accounts.

To be an effective instructor, your mind has to be on more than just money. If I had my time over again, I would start instructing a lot sooner and for a lot longer. It was, by far, the most rewarding time of my life. Unfortunately though, it was my poorest too :lol:

Some schools will only take you on as part time and not give you a basic, whereas others will put you on the payroll for a small basic and then a decent hourly rate on top of that. Back when I was a Grade III, the hourly rate was R120, and R150 for a Grade III. Don't know how much that has changed since.

Even with the maximum 100hrs of flying per month, there isn't a lot of meat on that bone. Some may argue that briefings and lectures would help, which they do, but it might be difficult when you start to factor in rest days, social lives, family pressure etc.

It's a hard way to make a living, but it's an incredible "job" and certainly a huge notch in your belt when it comes to CV's.

One of the local flying schools here in Cork are offering something to similar to what Mike is offering at the moment, and it is taking a huge amount of willpower to not splurge on the €16-20k to get EASA current and take them up on the offer.
yesbhobho
Avionics Master On
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 am
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Gaborone

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by yesbhobho » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:32 pm

747TDR wrote:
FAKRMike wrote:On average they make decent pilots... dont think they earn a great deal of money though but its not really the point i dont think.


You're right on both accounts.

To be an effective instructor, your mind has to be on more than just money. If I had my time over again, I would start instructing a lot sooner and for a lot longer. It was, by far, the most rewarding time of my life. Unfortunately though, it was my poorest too :lol:

Some schools will only take you on as part time and not give you a basic, whereas others will put you on the payroll for a small basic and then a decent hourly rate on top of that. Back when I was a Grade III, the hourly rate was R120, and R150 for a Grade III. Don't know how much that has changed since.

Even with the maximum 100hrs of flying per month, there isn't a lot of meat on that bone. Some may argue that briefings and lectures would help, which they do, but it might be difficult when you start to factor in rest days, social lives, family pressure etc.

It's a hard way to make a living, but it's an incredible "job" and certainly a huge notch in your belt when it comes to CV's.

One of the local flying schools here in Cork are offering something to similar to what Mike is offering at the moment, and it is taking a huge amount of willpower to not splurge on the €16-20k to get EASA current and take them up on the offer.


+1 =D>
To know Him
User avatar
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by rare bird » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:54 pm

instructors get very little money. (usually in it for the hour-building and while doing ATPL subjects etc)
I did an informal survey at a few schools & clubs about 2 years ago. At that time the average pay was a tad over R250 per hour plus av R 200 per hour for briefings. Evening lectures could bring in from R400 to R4000 (eg Radio, and dependant on attendance numbers in class).
Some clubs even charged a "fee" that the instructors had to pay to the club for the privilege of being an instructor there! and having to "share" with other instructors (students get allocated by CFI who is influenced by the admin lady and his favourite instructors).
Some clubs & schools did not cover insurance excess cover - instructors had to take their own out - particularly if a/c are leased in and not owned by the club or school. (insurance is sometimes one of the reasons instructors will get the student to fill in accident report forms! - the other reason is to keep a "clean" record ).
The big problem is you will never use all the hours in a day, and you can't put time in a bottle. (most schools & clubs limit flying hours to 5 hours per day max anyway) because of weather, unserviceable a/c, licence renewal not returned from CAA in time, other assistance, bookwork, travel (even just being sent to check on the a/c at the AMO workshop, which you will not get paid to do), currency & recency on particular type (eg student brings own a/c - instructor needs to do familiarization first and then get the a/c on the ATO books & certificate - which also costs time & money), students that don't pitch / not ready (have not prepared properly, medical expired etc), students that don't pay / fallen behind and get grounded, illness, fatigue from training students for night ratings etc - the list goes on. Point is, an optimistic estimate is R250 x 3 hrs + 200x 2 per day = R1150 per day if you are lucky, times av 4 days per week x 4 weeks if you are lucky = R 18 400 in a good month, less tax, fines for student going home with keys in pocket, not handing in fuel slip on same day, not folding seat strap neatly, ensuring paperwork done, losing a bet, buying a round of beers for all etc etc, you will be lucky to come out with R 7000 odd cash in hand in a month
User avatar
KingManuel
Flight Planning
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm
Closest Airfield: wonderboom

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by KingManuel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 pm

rare bird wrote:instructors get very little money. (usually in it for the hour-building and while doing ATPL subjects etc)
I did an informal survey at a few schools & clubs about 2 years ago. At that time the average pay was a tad over R250 per hour plus av R 200 per hour for briefings. Evening lectures could bring in from R400 to R4000 (eg Radio, and dependant on attendance numbers in class).
Some clubs even charged a "fee" that the instructors had to pay to the club for the privilege of being an instructor there! and having to "share" with other instructors (students get allocated by CFI who is influenced by the admin lady and his favourite instructors).
Some clubs & schools did not cover insurance excess cover - instructors had to take their own out - particularly if a/c are leased in and not owned by the club or school. (insurance is sometimes one of the reasons instructors will get the student to fill in accident report forms! - the other reason is to keep a "clean" record ).
The big problem is you will never use all the hours in a day, and you can't put time in a bottle. (most schools & clubs limit flying hours to 5 hours per day max anyway) because of weather, unserviceable a/c, licence renewal not returned from CAA in time, other assistance, bookwork, travel (even just being sent to check on the a/c at the AMO workshop, which you will not get paid to do), currency & recency on particular type (eg student brings own a/c - instructor needs to do familiarization first and then get the a/c on the ATO books & certificate - which also costs time & money), students that don't pitch / not ready (have not prepared properly, medical expired etc), students that don't pay / fallen behind and get grounded, illness, fatigue from training students for night ratings etc - the list goes on. Point is, an optimistic estimate is R250 x 3 hrs + 200x 2 per day = R1150 per day if you are lucky, times av 4 days per week x 4 weeks if you are lucky = R 18 400 in a good month, less tax, fines for student going home with keys in pocket, not handing in fuel slip on same day, not folding seat strap neatly, ensuring paperwork done, losing a bet, buying a round of beers for all etc etc, you will be lucky to come out with R 7000 odd cash in hand in a month



Thanks have got a fair idea now
African Flyer
Circuit re-established
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by African Flyer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:23 pm

rare bird wrote:instructors get very little money. (usually in it for the hour-building and while doing ATPL subjects etc)
I did an informal survey at a few schools & clubs about 2 years ago. At that time the average pay was a tad over R250 per hour plus av R 200 per hour for briefings. Evening lectures could bring in from R400 to R4000 (eg Radio, and dependant on attendance numbers in class).
Some clubs even charged a "fee" that the instructors had to pay to the club for the privilege of being an instructor there! and having to "share" with other instructors (students get allocated by CFI who is influenced by the admin lady and his favourite instructors).
Some clubs & schools did not cover insurance excess cover - instructors had to take their own out - particularly if a/c are leased in and not owned by the club or school. (insurance is sometimes one of the reasons instructors will get the student to fill in accident report forms! - the other reason is to keep a "clean" record ).
The big problem is you will never use all the hours in a day, and you can't put time in a bottle. (most schools & clubs limit flying hours to 5 hours per day max anyway) because of weather, unserviceable a/c, licence renewal not returned from CAA in time, other assistance, bookwork, travel (even just being sent to check on the a/c at the AMO workshop, which you will not get paid to do), currency & recency on particular type (eg student brings own a/c - instructor needs to do familiarization first and then get the a/c on the ATO books & certificate - which also costs time & money), students that don't pitch / not ready (have not prepared properly, medical expired etc), students that don't pay / fallen behind and get grounded, illness, fatigue from training students for night ratings etc - the list goes on. Point is, an optimistic estimate is R250 x 3 hrs + 200x 2 per day = R1150 per day if you are lucky, times av 4 days per week x 4 weeks if you are lucky = R 18 400 in a good month, less tax, fines for student going home with keys in pocket, not handing in fuel slip on same day, not folding seat strap neatly, ensuring paperwork done, losing a bet, buying a round of beers for all etc etc, you will be lucky to come out with R 7000 odd cash in hand in a month


Gheez :? Didn't know there were so many deductions from what you get to what you end up going home with :? . Would this R7000 be for a grade 3 or 2?
Positive rate! :D
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 14246
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by jimdavis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Rare Bird, a question if you please - do they get paid for signing out solo students?

Another question - do students usually get, and pay for, at least an hour briefing & debriefing for each hour they fly.

KingManuel there are four other massive rewards. Instructing hours are VALUEABLE.

1. They stand you in good stead for almost any future job.
2. They teach you more about flying than anything than any other form of aviation.
3. They will bring you in contact with folks who may be able to influence your future career.
4. They are huge fun - the most rewarding form of flying I can think of.

If instructing is something you are thinking of. Give it a FULL GO. You will quickly find that the more you put into it the more you will get out - tenfold!

Jim
"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE - Flying Accidents Analysed". This book will be available soon. It asks: "Can Smart Pilots See Accidents Coming - And Avoid Them?" Get this and other Jim Davis books on Kindle at: http://www.jimdavis.co.za
User avatar
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by rare bird » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 pm

I agree 100% with Jim that instructors will learn more than their students! and if teaching is a passion, I am sure it will be rewarding (other than the remuneration). oddly enough, I did observe a couple of instructors who seemed very negative, frustrated and unfulfilled - don't ask me why - I am not a psychologist (luckily most instructors seemed positive and seemed quite ambitious to get into an airline - which seemed to keep them motivated).
to answer your question - no - I did not find any who appeared to be specifically paid extra to sign out a solo student - the "normal" rates applied. Some instructors booked the time at the same rate as briefings while the solo student was flying under their supervision - the rules at all ATOs were that the instructor had to be available - some more strictly so than others.
as I say, it was an informal survey about 2 years ago, of ATOs (both clubs & schools in GA, not airline) - those that were willing to share. I had access to full details for 3 clubs (financial statements, committee meeting minutes etc) and managed to view some of the inside info of 7 schools, and there were 3 additional clubs and 1 school that did not appear to keep comprehensive records, or were unwilling to share the details (or the members who had kept records had left, stopped flying, whatever - for example, one of the ATOs still had their CFI listed as an elderly gentleman who had lost his medical a year previously, and the last paperwork he had signed off was just prior to his medical emergency, ie a year with no paperwork - and yes, they did close down - just prior to their CAA audit. They had a few ab-initio students that were left high & dry and had to re-do a lot of their exercises with other ATOs).
The highest earning CFI earned R 25k basic plus extras for signing out renewals, checkrides, lectures etc. The highest an instructor had earned was R26 k in one month. Some of his other months were disastrous though. Certainly the grade 2s earned a little more, mainly from signing out PPLs, night ratings etc. Grade 3s were mainly "first job" / picking up the crumbs that were allocated to them. Most schools prioritised students who had come up through the ranks in their own school and done their instructors rating at that same school. I did look at 2 simulator training facilities, but did not have access to their financials - by my estimation (based on their booking occupancy) they did seem much busier than "real" flying, (and obviously did not have the weather factor, and far less down time / unavailability), so would probably have been more profitable. There did seem to be more individuals using the facilities, though, without being accompanied by an instructor - so not sure how much an instructor in that environment would really earn).
in addition to what I mentioned above, the additional problems related to work permits for foreign students - there were a couple of guys who had done PPL, night rating, CPL & instructors, but were then unable to do instruction because their residency permits / visas were for study only and precluded them from working. Likewise, there were students who dropped out/ ran up a tab but did not pay because of visa problems & returned home suddenly (without paying). There was even one guy who's papers turned out to be refugee papers! Some of the students who had TETA (transport sector seta) bursaries also ended up with empty promises / sukkel to get the money from the Teta.
So the long & the short of it is: some guys can earn R 7000 in a few hours (doing non-aviation stuff, like IT, legal, medical etc), compared to the poor instructor who took a whole month.
Airline pilot salaries seemed to have a much broader range. I did not manage to get much info there - I also found it difficult to compare
User avatar
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 14246
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:46 am
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Location: Wilderness

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks so much RB. Wow! there is a lot of info there for those thinking of going that route.

jim
"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE - Flying Accidents Analysed". This book will be available soon. It asks: "Can Smart Pilots See Accidents Coming - And Avoid Them?" Get this and other Jim Davis books on Kindle at: http://www.jimdavis.co.za
Wlotzkas
Flaps set for Take off
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Location: Nelspruit

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by Wlotzkas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:33 pm

We are looking for one of those passionate full time instructors at the Lowveld Aeroclub in Nelspruit, and can beat most of the numbers above, given we get the right person!
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. – Jim Elliot
ZU-ORG
User avatar
Piggy-Hawk
Rolling
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:48 pm
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Where I train you are offered a job at the flight school when you complete your CPL.

You start off with R180k p.a., basically R15k per month before tax.

All you get to do is vehicle tracking as you are alone in the aircraft and put no passenger lives at risk

All revalidations etc. are then paid for be the employer.

Once you reach 500 hours the employer sponsors your instructor rating and you start at R600 an hour and get to fly at least 3 hours per day.

As you level up to better instructor ratings, the hourly rate increases to R800 max.

Once you get there, the employer sponsors a couple of turbine ratings or an instrument rating if you don't have one yet.

You are then placed on a roster varying duties between instructing, vehicle tracking and collecting platinum etc. at mines and occasionally fly passengers.

Once you reach 1000 hours, depending on your track record, you get to do your sling rating.

There after, once your hour commitment is settled at the employer, the pilots leave for higher paying jobs in remote parts of Africa.

On what Jim said, I have always had a thorough briefing before and after flight and the instructors are well informed on the subject and even better when it comes to the flying part.
morne75
Flight Planning
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 am
Closest Airfield: graaff reinet

Re: How much Instructors make On Average

Unread post by morne75 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 am

for the number of years that I trained.. well what I can say.. hard times boet!!

the school pockets the money,best that I cab say or what I did 5 years ago.. I left the flying instruction bit,went overseas and is earining R50 000 a month doingsomething way diffrent...

my 2 cents worth!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”