Instructor Rating sponsorship available *Positions Filled*

Jobs relating specifically to fixed wing aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section is provided for individual organisations to post their positions available or for job seekers to place their CVs. Recruiting agencies are not permitted to post in this section and should make contact with ads@avcom.co.za in order to make use of the Professional Recruiting Agencies section found at the top of the Job Centre section.
Mike Gough
Frequent AvComer

Instructor Rating sponsorship available *Positions Filled*

Unread post by Mike Gough » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 am

The industry appears to be at the same cyclical uptick that we saw around 11 years ago. In between, a lot of aspiring commercial pilots ceased training towards their instructor's rating due to the general mood that subsequent employment was not possible.

So we find ourselves with a busy training industry, and not a huge amount of instructors available. Just looking at this forum confirms that.

Skyhawk is looking for two current CPL holders to join us to train as Flight Instructors, sponsored by us. This will result in full time employment on successful completion with us here at Lanseria. There will be a lock-in period, and the details of which will be discussed during the interview process.

Should this appeal to you, please send a one-page CV to mikegough (at) mweb.co.za. Due to the nature of the intended full time employment, this can only be available to SA citizens, with their own transport and residing within a reasonable distance from Lanseria.
Last edited by Mike Gough on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aspen20
Rotating
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo

Re: Instructor Rating sponsorship available

Unread post by Aspen20 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 am

Offer of a lifetime Mike, certainly wish I could have had this when I did my instructors.
Urgently Seeking Employment: B190, BE20, BE F90, BE90, C208, BE58/55, AC50, various other's.
Caravan Driver
Lining Up - unmanned

Unread post by Caravan Driver » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Good on you, Mike! =D>
"Pilots are a rare kind of human being... They take to the skies to purify their souls and only return to earth once they have received the communion of the infinite!"
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread post by Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Very nice initiative from Skyhawk. As you mention Mike 11 years ago there was massive uptick in recruitment within the industry, and no one was interested in instructing. A year later there were huge retrenchments, and suddenly a lot of guys (especially those without instructors ratings). In this current climate a lot of guys with not much experience are aiming exclusively for the right seat of a jet. Getting an instructors rating, and a year or two of instructing behind you really does assist further on in your career. Hopefully guys take advantage of this very generous offer.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
Incher
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by Incher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am

A fantastic opportunity! Would of killed for this chance a year or two ago.

Burner wrote:Very nice initiative from Skyhawk. As you mention Mike 11 years ago there was massive uptick in recruitment within the industry, and no one was interested in instructing. A year later there were huge retrenchments, and suddenly a lot of guys (especially those without instructors ratings). In this current climate a lot of guys with not much experience are aiming exclusively for the right seat of a jet. Getting an instructors rating, and a year or two of instructing behind you really does assist further on in your career. Hopefully guys take advantage of this very generous offer.

Burner you bring up some interesting points and I hope I'm not detracting from the original post but I've also noticed a huge desire from +-200 hour pilots to jump straight onto a jet and they are willing to drop the cash on the ratings to get there. Now I would of thought that their low time would of excluded them from these positions? But I hearing more and more stories of low time pilots successfully getting these jobs. How does a pilot like myself with modest time compete with this?
CPL Multi IF with a Tow Rating
Class two test pilot.
CRM and DG current

C 150
Jabi
PA18
PA28 -140
PA28 - 236
PA23-250
Aspen20
Rotating

Unread post by Aspen20 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Incher wrote:A fantastic opportunity! Would of killed for this chance a year or two ago.

Burner wrote:Very nice initiative from Skyhawk. As you mention Mike 11 years ago there was massive uptick in recruitment within the industry, and no one was interested in instructing. A year later there were huge retrenchments, and suddenly a lot of guys (especially those without instructors ratings). In this current climate a lot of guys with not much experience are aiming exclusively for the right seat of a jet. Getting an instructors rating, and a year or two of instructing behind you really does assist further on in your career. Hopefully guys take advantage of this very generous offer.

Burner you bring up some interesting points and I hope I'm not detracting from the original post but I've also noticed a huge desire from +-200 hour pilots to jump straight onto a jet and they are willing to drop the cash on the ratings to get there. Now I would of thought that their low time would of excluded them from these positions? But I hearing more and more stories of low time pilots successfully getting these jobs. How does a pilot like myself with modest time compete with this?

I too have noticed this happening more and more. I find it hard to understand how some of the students I personally trained 5 or so years back are now well established airline pilots (some even captains), stories of people getting airline jobs with 600hrs TT and 100 Hrs right seat in a King Air 200 and I'm sitting unemployed again.

I slogged it the hard way, it's taken 8 years since achieving my CPL to crack a 1900 job (after financing my own rating) only to do 1 tour and get retrenched :roll: Now I struggle to even get invited for an interview.

For those who don't know, I am 32 years old, have 2300 hard earned hours and 780 (740 PIC) on twin turbine...clearly not good enough to crack a jet job interview, so I struggle on trying to get my butt back into any sort of twin now.

Not trying to be negative here, I'm just being realistic in how things seem now days. Is it possible that the airlines and operators think they can no longer train me there way?
Urgently Seeking Employment: B190, BE20, BE F90, BE90, C208, BE58/55, AC50, various other's.
Goffel
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Goffel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Mike.. is there an age limit on the canditate.... anotherwords wud u consider older guys who are now just interested in giving back
yesbhobho
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by yesbhobho » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Aspen20 wrote:
Incher wrote:A fantastic opportunity! Would of killed for this chance a year or two ago.

I too have noticed this happening more and more. I find it hard to understand how some of the students I personally trained 5 or so years back are now well established airline pilots (some even captains), stories of people getting airline jobs with 600hrs TT and 100 Hrs right seat in a King Air 200 and I'm sitting unemployed again.

I slogged it the hard way, it's taken 8 years since achieving my CPL to crack a 1900 job (after financing my own rating) only to do 1 tour and get retrenched :roll: Now I struggle to even get invited for an interview.

For those who don't know, I am 32 years old, have 2300 hard earned hours and 780 (740 PIC) on twin turbine...clearly not good enough to crack a jet job interview, so I struggle on trying to get my butt back into any sort of twin now.

Not trying to be negative here, I'm just being realistic in how things seem now days. Is it possible that the airlines and operators think they can no longer train me there way?

I wonder if this post will help you get an job/interview. I suggest that you tread carefully especially on public forums like this because those who can potentially give you a job/interview could be reading this and your other previous posts and think twice about calling you in. Just my opinion/advice.
To know Him
grounded
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by grounded » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 pm

nice initiative Mike

how much do your instructors (GRD 111) earn basic and per hour ?
Aspen20
Rotating

Unread post by Aspen20 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 pm

yesbhobho wrote:
Aspen20 wrote:

I wonder if this post will help you get an job/interview. I suggest that you tread carefully especially on public forums like this because those who can potentially give you a job/interview could be reading this and your other previous posts and think twice about calling you in. Just my opinion/advice.

Thanks Yesbhobho.

Certainly understand that, of everyone I personally know...Only 3 people on Avcom actually know who I am. Not to say that there is no potential for employment through this Forum and I have received the occasional PM regarding this. My comment in no means reflects my attitude,

I am still just as motivated and dedicated as the day I started this and will make it work for me and my young family. I was simply looking for an opinion to something that has sincerely started confusing me.

Thanks once again for the input to my comment, I certainly appreciate it and I never meant it in a negative way...a little thought popped up in my head when I read this thread. I would never intentionly try to hamper with my chances of employment, not just for myself, but for my family.

Your advise is appreciated and I will consider this in the future.

Aspen
Werner.B
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Ellisras

Unread post by Werner.B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:30 am

Mike Gough wrote:The industry appears to be at the same cyclical uptick that we saw around 11 years ago. In between, a lot of aspiring commercial pilots ceased training towards their instructor's rating due to the general mood that subsequent employment was not possible.

So we find ourselves with a busy training industry, and not a huge amount of instructors available. Just looking at this forum confirms that.

Skyhawk is looking for two current CPL holders to join us to train as Flight Instructors, sponsored by us. This will result in full time employment on successful completion with us here at Lanseria. There will be a lock-in period, and the details of which will be discussed during the interview process.

Should this appeal to you, please send a one-page CV to mikegough (at) mweb.co.za. Due to the nature of the intended full time employment, this can only be available to SA citizens, with their own transport and residing within a reasonable distance from Lanseria.

Wish I was completed with my CPL... That is a very nice opportunity!
ZU-NRC
ZU-CIM
Mike Gough
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Mike Gough » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for the positive comments.

My April article in SAF looks at possibly where we should be going with instructor training...believe me, what should be happening is a paradigm shift of note and I'm not sure I have the energy right now to start re-defining instructor training.

This is where we need the age / experience of those grey beards, but specifically after having been through some EBT (Evidence Based Training) at airline level...which therein lies the problem.

Similarly, such an incredibly competitive and cost sensitive industry cannot, right now, afford the salaries deserved by such experience.

Chris - to answer your question, these positions are pretty much junior instructor level. I am working on a major project at present, and when unleashed on the unsuspecting public in around 4 months time, may well introduce scope for more senior involvement... 8) 8)

Thanks to all who have replied and come in for interviews. If I have not personally got back to you by email, I'll get there...the odd Airbus gets in the way.
jameshi2lowcarefulgo
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: EGNM

Unread post by jameshi2lowcarefulgo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm

This is a fantastic opportunity! =D> =D> =D>
747TDR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: EICK

Unread post by 747TDR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Mike puts way more back into aviation than he has ever taken out, and anyone fortunate to avail of this opportunity is certainly setting themselves up in an awesome organisation with some incredible expertise at the top!
KingManuel
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: wonderboom

Unread post by KingManuel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Aspen20 wrote:

You have a B1900 type rating,have you tried other places..Air-tecm,Solenta,theres a lot of companies flying the b1900 in south africa..
Just asking though

Return to “Aeroplane”