Katana, Zlin or Stephens Acro plans

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Katana, Zlin or Stephens Acro plans

Postby Touch-n-go » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Can anyone please help me with plans for a Katana, Zlin 45/50 or Stephens Acro? Want to scratch build one for scale competitions. My 5 year project... :idea:
Last edited by Touch-n-go on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As geweld nie werk nie, dan gebruik jy nie genoeg nie!
Touch-n-go
Flaps set for Take off

Re: Katana plans

Postby BalsaPilot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 pm

What Size (motor) do you want? I can Draw some up for you!!
BalsaPilot

Postby Touch-n-go » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:50 pm

hey thanks. was thinking along the lines of a 30% size. know the t30 katana has a wingspan of 7,7m. as long as i can enter scale competitions. wanted to go for a Pitts Special, but maybe later.
Touch-n-go
Flaps set for Take off

Postby BalsaPilot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm

jish ok thats way bigger than what im capapble of, i can go up about 2.5 meter wing span thats it!!!
BalsaPilot

Postby mikestark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Touch-n-go wrote:Can anyone please help me with plans for a Katana? Want to scratch build one for scale competitions. My 5 year project... :idea:

Have you seen pictures of the full-size Katana.

Quite different from the models :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you are still interested I have some 3 views and some pics of the full size, some of which are attached.

BTW I have the Sebart Katana 30, Sebart Katana 50 and the 40% Krill Katana, and they are way prettier than the full size but as a result will not win any scale competitions. :roll:
Attachments
KIF_13.jpg
Prototype - note the elevators
KIF_13.jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 726 times
KIF_52.jpg
Prototype Katana
KIF_52.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Katana&Sukhoi_8-1.jpg
Prototype Katana standing next to a Sukhoi
mikestark
Frequent AvComer

Postby Touch-n-go » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

BalsaPilot wrote:jish ok thats way bigger than what im capapble of, i can go up about 2.5 meter wing span thats it!!!

30% =2.31m. full size =7.7m

Mike thanks i got the same pics from Pietro Terzi website including a video of maiden flight, thanks again. do you think a scale katana will be difficult to fly?
Touch-n-go
Flaps set for Take off

Postby Dobo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm

A Zlin 50 or a Stephens Acro would be nice subjects for scale competition. They will fly nicely as well. The models of the Katana are so different to the full size, that I can only imagine a direct copy may not perform too well.

I do have a set of 1/4 scale Pitts plans. They will cost you R 2500.00 but I will throw in a brand new Zenoah 20 cc petrol motor with electronic ignition :D :D :D :D
Dobo - "Just Plane Crazy"
Dobo
1k poster
1k poster

Postby Touch-n-go » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Dobo wrote:I do have a set of 1/4 scale Pitts plans. They will cost you R 2500.00 but I will throw in a brand new Zenoah 20 cc petrol motor with electronic ignition :D :D :D :D

i do have plans for a Pitts, but thought i would start with something "less" challenging as a first project.
Touch-n-go
Flaps set for Take off

Postby mikestark » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:11 am

Agree with Dobo on the Katana issue.

Would also recommend a Zlin as it has classic model lines. Again if you are interested I have a complete set of 3 views in various scales that I could let you have.

Also there are a number of them around for documentation purposes. The quality of the documentation as well as ready access to a full size example always makes the project easier. Choose a particular airframe and use that as your base because when you start looking closely, you cannot believe how different each plane is.
mikestark
Frequent AvComer

Postby SYBOT » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:08 am

Dobo wrote:A Zlin 50 or a Stephens Acro would be nice subjects for scale competition. They will fly nicely as well. The models of the Katana are so different to the full size, that I can only imagine a direct copy may not perform too well.

I do have a set of 1/4 scale Pitts plans. They will cost you R 2500.00 but I will throw in a brand new Zenoah 20 cc petrol motor with electronic ignition :D :D :D :D

She looks mean and lean - I think you may experience difficulty in knife edge flight, but looking at extras, yaks and edges - all have +- 10% deviations from the real ones, be it moment arm, deeper fuzz's, control surface size and even putting 34% wings on 33% fuselages. I think this can be built to fly nicely, if 3d is not an issue.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
100cc Sbach :111CC DLE
100cc Yak 54 : 111cc DLE
1.20 Christen Eagle : OS 95 AX
1.20 MX S-R : SAITO 1.25
1.20 Acro Wot soon :
Super Stearman busy :
Nieuport 28c - later :
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Postby edge540 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 am

Without having read the entire post, here are some plans.

regards
Andreas
Attachments
Wing.zip
(194.38 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Parts.zip
(52.39 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Fuse.zip
(166.05 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
edge540
Fuelling up

Postby morneh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:54 am

What program do you need to open those plans?
morneh
Radio Call

Postby mikestark » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:00 pm

SYBOT wrote:
Dobo wrote:A Zlin 50 or a Stephens Acro would be nice subjects for scale competition. They will fly nicely as well. The models of the Katana are so different to the full size, that I can only imagine a direct copy may not perform too well.

She looks mean and lean - I think you may experience difficulty in knife edge flight, but looking at extras, yaks and edges - all have +- 10% deviations from the real ones, be it moment arm, deeper fuzz's, control surface size and even putting 34% wings on 33% fuselages. I think this can be built to fly nicely, if 3d is not an issue.

Sybot, touch-n-go stated in his original post that he wants the Katana to compete in scale competitions. A 10% deviation as allowed under Large Scale rules is not going to cut it in a scale comp. :wink:

It would have to look exactly like the pics :shock:
mikestark
Frequent AvComer

Postby edge540 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:16 pm

The plans are saved in a DXF format, you would need a DXF viewer or alternatively CAD, to modify the plans.

They are not going to be able to be used in scale comp :shock:

regards
Andreas
edge540
Fuelling up

Postby morneh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Can anyone scale those down to a 40 or 60 size?

Where can i get them printed ?
morneh
Radio Call

Next

Return to General Model Aircraft Chatter