Back problems

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

lodge
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: fabb

Re: Back problems

Unread postby lodge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:17 pm

but I still owe a lot to the swimming,has helped me a great deal
cage
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread postby cage » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

lodge wrote:How is yor back now cage ?

Much, much better. Nerves take a long time to heal.
My pilates twice a week has made a huge difference.
No aches and even the torture chair that is a Bell seat doesn't bug me.
Looking up :smt023
lodge
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: fabb

Unread postby lodge » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Great news Cage,nice to hear,my kee is giving me problems at the moment.
nugpot
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: MBL

Unread postby nugpot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm

cage wrote:My pilates twice a week has made a huge difference.

I know this is quite an old thread, but I haven't visited the site for a while.

Glad that you are improving cage. I have had back problems for many decades (courtesy of Mssrs Martin and Baker) and have taken career decisions based on it, turning down two great opportunities which involved long-haul ops. In fact, my back might be the single biggest reason why I am gusting 10000 hrs on the CRJ2.

I my case, I have had a disc replacement in my neck and had been able to manage the lower back stuff with biokinetics (like pilates, just different ..) and other small lifestyle changes. Lately, age has caught up and I have had more problems, but I'll try and avoid the operation for as long as I'm able.

My small contribution to your continued recovery is to make sure that you maintain the curve in your spine while flying. Even if you have to take a lumbar support cushion or adjust the seat's lumbar support to force your belly button forward relative to your hips and shoulders. You can thank me later. :wink:
cage
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread postby cage » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:56 pm

nugpot wrote:
cage wrote:My pilates twice a week has made a huge difference.

I know this is quite an old thread, but I haven't visited the site for a while.

Glad that you are improving cage. I have had back problems for many decades (courtesy of Mssrs Martin and Baker) and have taken career decisions based on it, turning down two great opportunities which involved long-haul ops. In fact, my back might be the single biggest reason why I am gusting 10000 hrs on the CRJ2.

I my case, I have had a disc replacement in my neck and had been able to manage the lower back stuff with biokinetics (like pilates, just different ..) and other small lifestyle changes. Lately, age has caught up and I have had more problems, but I'll try and avoid the operation for as long as I'm able.

My small contribution to your continued recovery is to make sure that you maintain the curve in your spine while flying. Even if you have to take a lumbar support cushion or adjust the seat's lumbar support to force your belly button forward relative to your hips and shoulders. You can thank me later. :wink:

Thanks nugs. I need to introduce you to the torture device that is a Bell seat.. Adjustment? Foreign concept.
Still, the 407 is infinitely better than the jetranger..
(That's not saying much)
nugpot
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: MBL

Unread postby nugpot » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

cage wrote:Thanks nugs. I need to introduce you to the torture device that is a Bell seat.. Adjustment? Foreign concept.
Still, the 407 is infinitely better than the jetranger..
(That's not saying much)

I have a small cylindrical cushion which I leave in my locker at work for the one aircraft on the fleet with the stuffed lumbar support. Try and find something which works for you. Without (extreme) lumbar support I find it difficult to walk after long sectors. With it, I'm just a little stiff.
Fransw
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria

Unread postby Fransw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Some of the exercises I do to help strengthen the core. Not easy if you do it right..
attachment(252).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”