Converting from LSA to PPL

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

RussellBrown
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Converting from LSA to PPL

Unread postby RussellBrown » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 am

Hey guys I'm not sure if this topic has already need covered but I wanted to just get a quick bit of info from fellow aviators.

I have been told by numerous pilots that it is possible to do my LSA license then convert over to my PPL which works out a lot cheaper.
Now this is rather inviting because if I have done the maths correctly then this is a cheaper way of doing it.

The main question I have is !!!!!!

Once o have completed my LSA license what do I still need to do in order to get my PPL. Could someone please give me a detailed breakdown of what I would still need to do and if they think this is a good idea or rather just go straight into doing my PPL and not doing my LSA first.

Thank you guys.
Rotor kop
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Re: Converting from LSA to PPL

Unread postby Rotor kop » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:13 am

I would not even go that route. Just do PPL straight. It is not as simple as just converting- my brother inlaw did it and now no longer flies because of the requirements to "convert". As far as I remember he had to pretty much do the exams again or something to that effect.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
caliber
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread postby caliber » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm currently working on my LSA license with the intention of upgrading to PPL sometime after that.
As it's been explained to me the practical requirement is an extra 15 hours in a PPL plane (i.e., LSA counts towards 30 hours for PPL).

With regards to the exams I was told you'd only need to redo them if you'd done the the actual LSA syllabus exams, I'm however doing the PPL syllabus exams right from the start so once I have the LSA NPL I should only need the extra practical hours.

Also, PPL requires medical class 2, whereas NPL only requires class 4 so if you're gonna be upgrading before your first medical expires just go for the class 2 up front.

This is what I've been informed and from all the info I could gather online or elsewhere (such as the "red" aviation law book) it seems to be correct, I've not however completed it yet (only 3 hours practical, long way to go still) so if any of it is wrong I'm probably only gonna find out along the way, if you'd care to wait 2 years or so I'll let you know how it worked out. :twisted:
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread postby paulw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:21 am

Just go straight PPL on light sport aircraft (LSA) like Jabiru at Rhino Park or Tecnam's At Kitty Hawk, etc. instead of doing NPL on LSA aircraft.
Just check with school on Instructors ratings and aircraft registered for PPL training.

As far as I know the costs will be the same for aircraft and tiny bit more per exam doing NPL vs PPL.
No need to do PPL on more expensive aircraft like Cessna or Pipers especially at the more busy airports with landing fee's, etc.

Thats what I did. With the money I saved I did a conversion to Cessna and Night rating and a Bush and Mountain flying course with CC Pocock which I did in succession immediately after PPL skills test. Only then did I start to fly for enjoyment and PAX.
Then Aerobatics course.
I think the money I saved probably paid for the 6 hours aerobatics course on a Cessna Aerobat as well.(Not sure)

They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
heisan
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park

Unread postby heisan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:50 pm

paulw wrote:Just go straight PPL on light sport aircraft (LSA) like Jabiru at Rhino Park or Tecnam's At Kitty Hawk, etc. instead of doing NPL on LSA aircraft.
Just check with school on Instructors ratings and aircraft registered for PPL training.

What he said...

NPL is a minimum of 35 hours, but realistically, many people will take 40-45 hours, so for the same number of hours (and very similar cost), you could have completed your PPL.
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani

Unread postby excolonial » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 am

Is that you - ex London citibank rusty?

PP - no question about it. The structure of the training is better than NPL, and this structure is very important from a habit forming perspective imo.

My 2c
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Leon le Roux
Steep Turn Right

Unread postby Leon le Roux » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

If you have any ambitions of flying bigger than LSA then don't stuff around and go straight to PPL. The cost saving is minute against the aggravation of re-doing exams and the time it takes.
Laughter does cure depression.

ZU For Your Entertainment
ZU Enough Beer Reserves
Cornell Blok
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread postby Cornell Blok » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Leon le Roux wrote:If you have any ambitions of flying bigger than LSA then don't stuff around and go straight to PPL. The cost saving is minute against the aggravation of re-doing exams and the time it takes.

You don't have to re do the exams just do PPL exam first time :D
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
Leon le Roux
Steep Turn Right

Unread postby Leon le Roux » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks. Diluted exams whilst you're clever then intense subjects when your hard drive is old and full is hell.

Does Ladysmith have avgas?
Laughter does cure depression.

ZU For Your Entertainment
ZU Enough Beer Reserves
Cornell Blok
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Unread postby Cornell Blok » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 am

Leon le Roux wrote:Thanks. Diluted exams whilst you're clever then intense subjects when your hard drive is old and full is hell.

Does Ladysmith have avgas?

You can PM flybynight here on Avcom for Avgas

There is not a big step from LSA to PPL exams
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”