Glen Dell (12 October 2013)

A place to remember our fallen friends, colleagues and aviators that shared our passions for the skies.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wings Park

Glen Dell (12 October 2013)

Unread postby Steve » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 am

AvCom username(if was a member):
Born: 1962
Passed away date: 12 October 2013
Details of passing:
JacoS wrote:Just a first hand account on what I witnessed: Glen was performing an inverted flat spin. Seemed to initiate recovery very late, just managed to roll the a/c over before impact. Could hear the prop rpm run away for a second or two before the CSU caught up as power was applied (normal occurance). A/c impacted ground with high nose attitude and near vertical flight path. Wing might still have been stalled. First point of impact probably no more than 10m away from wreckage.

Pictures:

Extract below from: http://www.glendellaerobatics.com/page/about_glen
While many of you might be scared of flying, some people can manipulate an aeroplane with great skill and beauty! Imagine travelling at extremely fast speeds while doing twists, rolls, loops and turns in an agile and lightweight aerobatic aircraft...

Glen Dell was born in Johannesburg, but at an age of four, his family moved to Queenstown, where he grew up on a farm. His passion for flying started when he was very young. Being the son of an airline pilot, he always wanted to be like his father.

“From very young, when my mom and I fetched my dad from the airport, I wanted to become a pilot,” smiles Glen. Although he says he wasn’t the ideal student at school, he was good in English, Art and sport. He played a variety of sports, from rugby and athletics to swimming. This clear enthusiasm for sport is what made Glen fight for his dream and caused him to be where he is today. “I have a passion for anything sport wise,” says Glen.

Glen started flying in 1978, when he was 16 years old and trained with Ted Baines. In 1980, he joined the Air Force, where he officially received “his wings” on 3 December 1981, and flew helicopters for eight years. For six months after leaving the Air Force, he participated in air shows and gave flying lessons, before joining a commercial airline in 1988. “Flying became a passion,” says Glen.

Glen has numerous achievements, with over 30 years of flying experience under his belt. He started doing aerobatics in the 1980s and started competing in 1985. As an experienced aerobatics pilot, Glen won 20 titles at the South African Championships between 1985 and 2005. In 2004, he won the Advanced World Aerobatic Championship title in Sweden, which helped secure his invitation to the Red Bull Air Race training camp and became the first South African to compete in the Red Bull Air Race World Championship.

One of Glen’s most amazing achievements is the fact that he has totalled 27 000 hours in various types of aircraft, including Boeing 747s, 767s, 737s and Airbus A340s. According to Glen, if you have a passion you will get whatever you dream of achieving: “Passion leads to perseverance. The harder you work, the luckier you get”.

As a unique role model in the world aviation scene, Glen’s advice to all young and upcoming pilots: “You just need to push forward and find an inspiration. Incorporate dedication with passion to get there, almost anyone can achieve anything.”

Glen’s own expectations as a professional career and aerobatic pilot: “My expectations are clearly defined by myself for myself.” “You need to do your own thing and not live up to an image people expect. People respect you for doing your own thing.”

He is also the driving force behind the successful South African designed and developed Slick aerobatic aircraft and hopes to develop a streamlined, lightweight and more powerful model in the near future.

Speaking about aerobatics, competition and display flying: “There’s a huge element of danger in this sport. A mature attitude and safety must be your first priority. Representing Red Bull on the African continent is a huge privilege and signifies my passion for extreme sports.”

Glen has paid his dues in his sport and was reaping the rewards.

He said that flying is like music and ballet – you have to see the beauty of it to see the art in it. “The true beauty of flying is the art of it”.

Sadly, on 12 October 2013, Glen had an unfortunate accident during an airshow in South Africa, and passed away later that day. He will be missed by his family, friends, and the aviation community across the world.

TRIBUTE:
Steve Onions

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
Club of One
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Himeville

Glen Dell - RIP friend

Unread postby Club of One » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:45 pm

I am a local Himevillan RC aviator and we have a commemorative bench at our Himeville Airfield dedicated to the memory of Glen and I sat yesterday under an adjacent tree planted ( large enough now to cast a shade ) in memory of Trevor Emanuel, who also lost his life doing what he enjoyed most.
Long live the aviators.
'Till later. :(
Flying is no longer a drug, there is turning back.
Beware of e-mail scams, NEVER, click onto something you are unsure of.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.
AlphaNovemberTango
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Cape Town

Remembering Glen Dell

Unread postby AlphaNovemberTango » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Today commemorates the passing of good flying friend and legend Glen Dell.

To my knowledge there has not yet been a definitive outcome explaining what went wrong and why he was neglected in the critical minutes after impact (or maybe it just isn't publicly available?).

R.I.P. Glen
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Re: Remembering Glen Dell

Unread postby bullet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 am

He was simply a decent and sincere human being. One realised that and he earned one`s respect within 60 seconds of meeting him for the first time.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.
lodge
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: fabb

Re: Remembering Glen Dell

Unread postby lodge » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:50 pm

bullet wrote:He was simply a decent and sincere human being. One realised that and he earned one`s respect within 60 seconds of meeting him for the first time.

I agree Bullet,met Glen a good few times

may he RIP
CLFO
Forgot to remove the chocks!

Re: Glen Dell (12 October 2013)

Unread postby CLFO » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:03 pm

I had the privilege to fly with Glen and his kindness will not be forgotten.
Flaps Takkies Runway
ACE MAN
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH

Unread postby ACE MAN » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Can’t believe if is 4 years , remember that Saturday morning 11am like it was yesterday when my girls called me from Secunda, I spoke with Glenn the Tuesday before , RIP
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
bullet
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby bullet » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:13 am

The world is definitely a much poorer place without him...RIP. Thanks again Justus for your assistance in getting him out of the aircraft.
Life is too short for cheap wine or slow cars.

Return to “We will remember them”