Moderator: Moderators

RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: The Coves

Re: Rudi’s Fokker E-III ‘Eindecker’ Build

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Improving the Aileron and Elevator controls:

I did not like the aluminum bellcrank sandwich rotating on a bolt, which the plans specified so I asked a friend for help and he laser cut and welded a new belcrank which can now rotate on a brass bush instead. Thank you Mr. Alan!

Here it is installed again, with a Delrin spacer to stop it from potential going over center.

Then I could install the control stick and connect the elevator push rod.

Once again I did not like one long elevator push rod as the plans specify because it flexes, so once again research and manufacturing an improvement creating a bellcrank aft fuselage midway to eliminate flex.

Once again my friend Mr. Alan came to the help and turned a couple of new bushes for me to make the push rod modification

Here is a tempory assembly of the pushrod bell crank

Then, most of these airplanes come in nose heavy, so then people add weight to the back. If I had to add weight I was going to make it functional. So I balanced out the Elevator with adding just enough metal rods inside the front leading edge, to compensate for the mass in the rear and in balances perfect. This will mean lighter elevator controls

These rods will be fiberglassed into place with a couple of wraps of cloth where the masking tape is currently.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Building a Seat:

Start by marking seat frame gussets in raw sheet to attache the seat to the airframe.

Cut and deburred and pilot drilled. One of them are bent to shape.

Cut and bend some tubing and fish mouth the joins. Lots of fitting and tweaking to get it to this stage.

Drill and fit the seat frame into the fuselage. Using straps to hold everything together.

Drill the seat platform

Rivet everything together

Take the airplane for a ride! Airplane noises mandotory!
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Build floor pans and rudder pedals:

Start by marking out the parts in raw sheet.

Cut and debur the parts

Here the floor pans are riveted into the fuselage and I made 3 positions to make the rudder pedals adjustable.

Assemble and drill the rudder pedals together. Here you can see how they fit together. It is basically a lightweight aluminum sandwich that makes it strong.

Rivet them. That big hole is to fit the rudder cable attach bolt and the sandwich is riveted together.

Fit the rudder pedal in the center position and attach the rudder cables. The rubber bands are just temporary until I can buy some springs.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GeraldNagel
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread postby GeraldNagel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

FANTASTIC =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Building a firewall:

Start the firewall by planning the cowl nose cone fitment because the firewall matches that exact shape.

Mark out the firewall in raw sheet and cut it

Drill the firewall to the front of the fuselage

Mark out the cowl breather/air bypass holes on the sides

Start to cut and debur the breather holes

Cut cowl attachment strips from flat aluminum, bend it 90 degrees and flute them to the contour of the firewall

Backrivet the cowl attachment strips all around the firewall.

Cut and do the same for the instrument panel.
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudiGreyling
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Modify the Engine and Build a FW mock up:

I bought a low hour HKS engine. It is a true aviation engine based on modern motorcycle technology. Its a 60HP, 4 valve per cylinder, 4 stroke, boxer engine with integrated gearbox.

This is how it came out the box.

The first task was to modify and put the carbs on top of the engine (its an option for this engine) to make the engine more compact for fitment and less weight that far out on the nose.

The second task was to modify and change the gearbox from the up position to the down position so the engine sits higher in the cowl. This give me more space in the cowl below the engine to fit the exhaust and the oil cooler.

Taking off the gearbox cover, inspecting as I go, this engine is in very good condition. Wonders of modern synthetic oils.

Taking off the front engine cover and flipping everthing 180 degrees to re-assemble.

I decided to re-use the engine mounting plate that came with the engine and then I planned the thrust line offset on a piece of plywood. I am using 3 degrees to the left, and the firewall has 3 degrees down built in with reference to the wing and tail cord line.

Fitting the engine mount plate on threaded rod to adjust the height perfectly.

Now I hoisted the engine into position and I created a mock firewall at the correct distance. Here you can also see the engine with the Gearbox in the Down position. Notice also the red line the 3-degree engine thrust line offset.

Another view from the side. I will now use this setup to manufacture an engine mount to fit the firewall.
Euro Flyer
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Closest Airfield: Country side grass strip

Unread postby Euro Flyer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Outstanding, loving this build as much (maybe more than) your RV one's ... perhaps as you say it's because there's a lot more 'real' building work involved.

EF
Pete
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKR

Unread postby Pete » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Awesome Rudi! =D> =D>

Thought it was quiet and you were having a nice holiday.. but you have been whittling away very nicely, cant wait for the next pics on the progress :smt023
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Barberon and Pyramid

Unread postby PJL » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 am

Rudi, I love the precision and attention to detail that you put into your work, as an engineer I also admire the way you tackle upgrading parts where you deem necessary!! This displays workmanship of the highest order, well done mate I am so impressed!!

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
ColdFingers
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FADU Walkersons

Unread postby ColdFingers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks rudi for the updates. Amazing work. I enjoy your thinking and design modification.
Andy Mills
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
richard C
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FASY

Unread postby richard C » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:03 am

=D> =D> =D>

I am floored ! Beautiful job !!!
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
pietmeyer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAWB

Unread postby pietmeyer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am

I am amazed at this build. It is unbelievable what you can do. I tried to build a circuit board using two aa batteries, wire and a flashlight light bulb for our daughters grade 4 science project. It envolved a small piece of wood, copper wire and a glue gun. I failed misserably. I can do some science but if i touch any tools ( normally a screwdriver or hammer), my wife calls the handyman as well as the fire brigade and hands me a box of bandaids... all in that order

I love watching this build. I would love to be just an assistant to such a project one day when i have time. Truly amazing Rudi. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
ZU-DUU Jabi J400 (FAWB)
Multirotordronepilot
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch

Unread postby Multirotordronepilot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 am

World class absolutely world class =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Airdrome Aeroplanes”