Is Emigration from South Africa at its Highest Ever

Aviation Trivia, Jokes & Humour

Moderator: Moderators

vanjast
Returning to aircraft
Closest Airfield: 200

Re: Is Emigration from South Africa at its Highest Ever and is the Rand Going South Again

Unread post by vanjast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

The Thunder of Silence is deafening.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUy9ePyo6Q
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: Is Emigration from South Africa at its Highest Ever and is the Rand Going South Again

Unread post by paulw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:21 am

:lol: :lol:

They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by savas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 am

Quite a few reasons:
Weather
Freedom to Fly
Red meat is cheap
Big 5 within an hours flight
Lots of opportunities
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:18 am

savas wrote:Quite a few reasons:
Weather
Freedom to Fly
Red meat is cheap
Big 5 within an hours flight
Lots of opportunities

Hhmm, I am not convinced

1. Weather = Also in other countries. No cyclones here though. Fiji was hit twice in a row last week.
2. Freedom to Fly = Also in other countries especially USA. Japan and Hong Kong is bad for GA. Lots of flying in NZ, AUS, Thailand and other countries.
3. Red meat is cheap = depends on the country, some expensive , some cheap. Bad for your health in anyway
4. Big 5 within an hours flight = for those who are interested and can afford to go and visit a game reserve and not scared they will be killed on their way there or back either robbed or bad drivers or pot holes.
5. Lots of opportunities = that is true. In some countries you get bogged down by red tape, but then in those same countries they also assist you a lot. Services ie getting permissions licenses etc is also a lot faster. Chances of getting robbed in a store or some business is higher though in SA so if you have a business and making money.....

On this last one, my brother-in-law had to retrench people. not even his company. He was held at gun point for a few hours as the people wanted their job back. My sister-in-law is a Real Estate agent. They had to meet someone somewhere. The people held them at gun point. She had to go into the bank and withdraw money while her husband (both agents) was held at gun point in the car.
I just read yesterday someone advertised a car. Perpetrators came to view car and attacked them and stole some stuff.
I wouldn't want to have the type of business where I deal with local people who visit my business.

I need more to convince me, but keep coming with the positive comments, I'd like to hear more positive comments. :D
I do understand some would never leave SA and are totally happy. I think longer term.

Marius Schrenk
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 am

paulw wrote:
I do understand some would never leave SA and are totally happy. I think longer term.
Its precisely my long term thinking that stops me from leaving. Statistically I should be pushing daisies in the next 10 to 20 years. Who wants to start a fresh in such a late stage ? I would much rather stay and try my best to enjoy it here.....and survive long enough to see how the cANCer implode. :wink:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
savas
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by savas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 am

I need more to convince me, but keep coming with the positive comments, I'd like to hear more positive comments. :D
I do understand some would never leave SA and are totally happy. I think longer term.[/quote]

Im not trying to convince you Paul, simply stated My Positives, without dissecting each of my pointers.
Dont get me wrong im not naive, but certainly the countries that you referred to eg USA - generally are not safe sending your kids too school as a start.

A lot to do with my age offcourse, in fact my daughter finished 2017 with Honors and we parents offered her the opportunity to go abroad and try it out as we believed she does not have to start her adult life in SA cause of parents- she chose to stay.
For now, i have a better hope with CR than with Zumbo- although reserved.
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am

savas wrote:
PaulW wrote:I need more to convince me, but keep coming with the positive comments, I'd like to hear more positive comments. :D
Im not trying to convince you Paul, simply stated My Positives, without dissecting each of my pointers.
Dont get me wrong im not naive, but certainly the countries that you referred to eg USA - generally are not safe sending your kids too school as a start.

A lot to do with my age off course, in fact my daughter finished 2017 with Honors and we parents offered her the opportunity to go abroad and try it out as we believed she does not have to start her adult life in SA cause of parents- she chose to stay.
For now, i have a better hope with CR than with Zumbo- although reserved.

I 100% agree with you and if you for what ever reason choose to stay, then you have to look at the positives and enjoy that and make use of it ie opportunities. Of course being realistic is also a good thing knowing the dangers out there.

SA is not just doom and gloom.

Each country do have its pro's and con's. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on all kinds of countries and comparing it to SA and SA is a good country to live in if it is possible to look past and live with some of the negatives.

Looking at other countries then I see in each positive and negative. One country cheap but medical not as great, etc.
Some countries I am interested in ie NZ and Vanuatu and Japan are all on the Ring of Fire earthquake line and there is an expectation of the Big One coming now very very soon. Lots of smaller quakes in past 2-3 weeks. Basically Slope slipping and some swarms.
Also cyclones in the pacific area is a bit of a damper.

Just BTW, as I typed this, I spoke to a colleague who is also planning in going that there was an Excel spreadsheet distributed of his matric class of about 25 years ago. Of about a 100 pupils, only about 10 are left in SA.

Skymaster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by Skymaster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:25 pm

This thread made me do some sums.
The result was 24 families gone in the past 5 years.
All of them friends of our family of two sons and a daughter.
Most young professionals and small business owners.
Most just up sticks and left without emigrating officially.
All doing quite well
Seems like there is another "great trek" underway
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO

Unread post by cabeng » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 am

Its a personal choice to leave/stay and every person will find reasons to justify their descision , often the reasons will will be closer to fiction than fact but that does not matter as long as inner peace has been achieved
Haven never lived off the african continent we made the move 2 yrs ago to NZ and so far for us has been the best descision for our family. Well that is what we as a family believe so that is now a fact! ( See we have inner peace now and sleep well)
I doubt there are any official stats as to the numbers of immigrants here from SA but what i do know is there are a heck of a lot Saffers in the small town that we live in and litterally bump into more on a weekly basis , the sad part about this is every one of them is a skilled trades person or degreed profesional that NZ is very happy to give resadence to to keep those skills here
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
hugo_visser
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by hugo_visser » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:29 am

Language test center takes 200 test every weekend, 5 centers fully booked, so around 4000 tests every month and not cheap.

Hugo.
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 am

cabeng wrote: I doubt there are any official stats as to the numbers of immigrants here from SA but what i do know is there are a heck of a lot Saffers in the small town that we live in and litterally bump into more on a weekly basis , the sad part about this is every one of them is a skilled trades person or degreed profesional that NZ is very happy to give resadence to to keep those skills here
Good to hear from you Cabeng and glad you are happy there. I believe most are and very small percentage want to come and then usually due to family.
The census might give a hint. I know the Australian census indicate even the number of Afrikaans speaking people in a town.
http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census ... t/SSC30621
http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census ... navpos=220

Yes, the test centres are busy I heard as well. And I believe the tests are not easy either and that you really need to study for it.

flyinghighno2
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: clacton

Unread post by flyinghighno2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 am

nope ielts B1 is easy if you speak English .
Current stats of people applying for England Ancestral and Settlement Visa for Uk alone stands at 11000 pm .
People who qualify for ancestral visas and or Bps are ensuring they obtain them asap .
Ukvi is increasing fees for such visas
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 pm

flyinghighno2 wrote:nope ielts B1 is easy if you speak English .
Current stats of people applying for England Ancestral and Settlement Visa for Uk alone stands at 11000 pm .
People who qualify for ancestral visas and or Bps are ensuring they obtain them asap .
Ukvi is increasing fees for such visas
*Colleague of mine is busy with UK emigration now.
*Another two for Aus.
*Another one for USA.
*One went to Denmark last year and one might follow this year to Denmark.
*One is also looking at getting his Dutch passport (ancestral) but don't know if he will manage. He is busy with the paperwork.
*Another one who was a happy a to stay a year or two ago and thinking of setting up an after school centre is now rather looking at emigrating to USA. His daughter already in Dubai for a number of years and thinking of going to USA. His son busy looking at going to USA so he think its better to go as well.

All at my place of work.

The demographics of the country will look a lot different in 20years time. I already saw the difference in the past 10 years.

Return to “123.45”