UNMANNED AND NO WINDSOCK LANDING

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Re: UNMANNED AND NO WINDSOCK LANDING

Unread postby apollo11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Ting ting ting, that is the bell for Jim, mention accident Wx, IAS and GS and Jim is on your back for good reason and cause... say "Jim get off my back." Jim will go "but I have not got on your back yet!"
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp

Unread postby JCA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Four indicators to assist you if they are relatively close to your runway.
1. Any body of water of reasonable size. The upwind surface is calm and smooth for up to 3 m from the shore/bank
2. Cows. They stand with their butts into wind when they munch the grass.
3. Smoke. nearly always something burning somewhere especially if your runway is close to a service delivery protest.
4. Dust and or whirlwinds. Whirly's (Not the Helo kind) leave a track along the ground which is reasonably easy to see.

PS none of the above will suffer from battery failure nor the input of duff coordinates.
rb
Man found at unmanned airfield-What now?

Unread postby rb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 am

JCA wrote:Four indicators to assist you if they are relatively close to your runway.
1. Any body of water of reasonable size. The upwind surface is calm and smooth for up to 3 m from the shore/bank
3. Smoke. nearly always something burning somewhere especially if your runway is close to a service delivery protest.
4. Dust and or whirlwinds. Whirly's (Not the Helo kind) leave a track along the ground which is reasonably easy to see.

PS none of the above will suffer from battery failure nor the input of duff coordinates.

and if you near the coast anchored ships/boats - the anchor line will point into the wind
ACE MAN
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH

Unread postby ACE MAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

All the above but also time taken (seconds) at a given IAS (say 80kts) threshold to threshold will give you the shorter distance for the longer time the direction into wind - plus flying that you will see which way the nose weather cocks and you will know the crosswind condition. This was part of my precautionary landing training as a PPL or CPL , can't remember now.

Edit- hope that makes better sense , that’s why Jim should do the explaining here
Last edited by ACE MAN on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Airlou
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: FAFB

Unread postby Airlou » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am

Its simple like ACE are suggesting....in my valley its most of the landings,,,plan it as a precautionary.
happyskipper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread postby happyskipper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

rb wrote:
JCA wrote:Four indicators to assist you if they are relatively close to your runway.

and if you near the coast anchored ships/boats - the anchor line will point into the wind

Sorry to burst your bubble rb - that is only applicable if the wind effect is stronger than/or in the same direction as any current or tidal flow. So if the wind is strong, it may apply - but not if winds are gentle..... :mrgreen:
richard C
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FASY

Unread postby richard C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm

The quality of the ground rush on short final ? 8-[

On the few occasions I have done a downwind landing, there has been a palpable ground rush before the flare and a crazy float. Take power, do a teardrop, come back and land on the other side ! Saves mucking about up and down fiddling with a stopwatch, sextant and whizz wheel.
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
nrm
1k poster
1k poster

Unread postby nrm » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Fly across the runway at 90 degrees. Drift will give you a good indication of wind direction.

Now fly into wind overhead and along the runway. Drift will give you an indication of crosswind component.
Last edited by nrm on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville Matthews
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread postby jimdavis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

nrm wrote:Fly across the runway at 90 degrees. Drift will give you a good indication.

That's by far the best answer so far =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D

Jim
WOW! Volume 2 of Jim's new book "FLYING IN AFRICA" is out already. Get it on Kindle. http://www.jimdavis.co.za
cage
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread postby cage » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

How about glance down at the wind vector display on the G1000 and take it from there ;)
pafuri
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread postby pafuri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 pm

jimdavis wrote:
nrm wrote:Fly across the runway at 90 degrees. Drift will give you a good indication.

That's by far the best answer so far =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :D

Jim

+1 nrm, my destination is nowhere near civilization, cows are buffaloes and no harbors nor boats. Jim, where have you been all along ?
flypiper
< than 500' looking for landing in case

Unread postby flypiper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 am

Hi Cage.

No G1000 in my Super Cub :D
Flying!!!
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Swartkops

Unread postby PO » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:10 am

cage wrote:How about glance down at the wind vector display on the G1000 and take it from there ;)

Two turns and I have wind speed and direction on my Colibri, for my altitude at least. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pieter Oosthuizen
Kranskop Gliding Club - Brits Airfield (FABS)
http://www.facebook.com/KranskopGliding
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread postby jimdavis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 am

The OP said there were strong upper winds and the strip is surrounded by ugly hills, Electronic gadgetry is unlikely to be much help.

This was an interesting thread about the sort of thing we seldom encounter.

Jim
WOW! Volume 2 of Jim's new book "FLYING IN AFRICA" is out already. Get it on Kindle. http://www.jimdavis.co.za
Learjet
Phew!!!
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread postby Learjet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 am

Doing a fair bit of x-country flying in a gyro and having had to to do jerry-can refueling stops at an assortment of unmarked "bush strips", I've encountered this scenario a couple of times. I always try to maintain a sense of wind direction at all times throughout my flight, but when joining overhead on the "cross runway" leg I will also let the gyro "wind vane" naturally (i.e no rudder input) - letting the yaw provide confirmation of the wind direction. Not sure if this works as well in fixed wings as in gyros which "hang" under the rotor and weather vane quite nicely.
Dave Lehr
Magni M22 Voyager ZU-EPZ

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”