A22 missing (7 June 2018)

What your instructor never taught you. Continuing your education and learning from others. Flight safety topics and accident/incident discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL

Re: A22 missing (7 June 2018)

Unread post by homebuilt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 pm

A bit early for whales in Durbs area me thinks but the first sardines passed EL about a week ago. Now if he went out to sea to photograph these it would not be too difficult to get into trouble if one was trying to photograph and fly at the same time. Eyes out of the cockpit, banking for the better shot, stall because of bank angle / slow speed, etc. Just some more thoughts to throw into the mix.
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread post by happyskipper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm

homebuilt wrote:A bit early for whales in Durbs area me thinks but the first sardines passed EL about a week ago. Now if he went out to sea to photograph these it would not be too difficult to get into trouble if one was trying to photograph and fly at the same time. Eyes out of the cockpit, banking for the better shot, stall because of bank angle / slow speed, etc. Just some more thoughts to throw into the mix.
I sighted whales myself, today - just off Amanzimtoti....
:roll:
"There are no new ways to crash airplanes"
WagAero
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by WagAero » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 pm

Maybe get the sent home pics up here and maybe some recognition from avommers may follow . Who can assist in getting this done.?
Deanw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 am

WagAero wrote:Maybe get the sent home pics up here and maybe some recognition from avommers may follow . Who can assist in getting this done.?
I suspect the family and SAR have already covered this and have identified the coastline.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB

Unread post by AJW » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am

happyskipper wrote:
homebuilt wrote:A bit early for whales in Durbs area me thinks but the first sardines passed EL about a week ago. Now if he went out to sea to photograph these it would not be too difficult to get into trouble if one was trying to photograph and fly at the same time. Eyes out of the cockpit, banking for the better shot, stall because of bank angle / slow speed, etc. Just some more thoughts to throw into the mix.
I sighted whales myself, today - just off Amanzimtoti....
I've seen photos of them in St Lucia and Umdloti area this week.
Be safe
Abrie
homebuilt
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAEL

Unread post by homebuilt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Whales on south coast. Sorry guys. My bad. We have only just seen the first bird activity and sardine shoals off EL last week. Maybe I missed them. Keep your eyes open then for the sardines. They are on their way.
frikie
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by frikie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Any news?
Alpha1
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Alphaville-Hluhluwe

Unread post by Alpha1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

No news yet, only speculation. No debris found until this morning. The photos was taken of the norther part of Lake Sibaya in line with Mabibi. This is North of Sodwana Bay. It seems that the aircraft was flying towards the sea when the photos was taken.
Dragon
Steep Turn Left
Closest Airfield: Morning Star

Unread post by Dragon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Are these photo's external only? No sneaky peaks of gauges or reflections or aircraft structure?
Bugs
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FAPE

Unread post by Bugs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Alpha1 wrote:No news yet, only speculation. No debris found until this morning. The photos was taken of the norther part of Lake Sibaya in line with Mabibi. This is North of Sodwana Bay. It seems that the aircraft was flying towards the sea when the photos was taken.
What photos. I see nothing posted?
The Sky is not the end, it is just the beginning of your adventure.
Real Aeroplanes Have Propellers.
Deanw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Deanw » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 am

Bugs wrote: What photos. I see nothing posted?
It was mentioned on page 5 that the pilot took photos whilst in flight and sent these during the flight.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
flatprop
Incorrect Read back of ATC clearance
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread post by flatprop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:05 am

As a Foxbat owner I can confirm that the aircraft is extremely easy to handle at low speeds of 60 mph. When whale watching you have to be on your toes not to let the airspeed bleed off too much during turning maneuvers. At 60mph the slipstream noise is very low and if you are not monitoring your ASI you can land up too slow without hearing the change in speed.

Also, the Foxbat does not have a header tank and if you do continious medium turns and not keep the ball centered, you run the risk of unporting a tank, especially if the higher tank when turning is not selected.
Gustav Jansen
PPL(A), NR
V5 - LEO
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 am

flatprop wrote:As a Foxbat owner I can confirm that the aircraft is extremely easy to handle at low speeds of 60 mph. When whale watching you have to be on your toes not to let the airspeed bleed off too much during turning maneuvers. At 60mph the slipstream noise is very low and if you are not monitoring your ASI you can land up too slow without hearing the change in speed.

Also, the Foxbat does not have a header tank and if you do continious medium turns and not keep the ball centered, you run the risk of unporting a tank, especially if the higher tank when turning is not selected.

...this is great info right from an owner operating one!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
AJW
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FARB

Unread post by AJW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am

flatprop wrote:As a Foxbat owner I can confirm that the aircraft is extremely easy to handle at low speeds of 60 mph. When whale watching you have to be on your toes not to let the airspeed bleed off too much during turning maneuvers. At 60mph the slipstream noise is very low and if you are not monitoring your ASI you can land up too slow without hearing the change in speed.

We have done a lot of whale watching. My wife filming with mik&druk. Must say, I always found that as great practice for medium and steep turns. But I concentrate myself to a headache. Won't be able to do filming at same time.
Be safe
Abrie
BigglesSA
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by BigglesSA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 pm

flatprop wrote:When whale watching you have to be on your toes not to let the airspeed bleed off too much during turning maneuvers. At 60mph the slipstream noise is very low and if you are not monitoring your ASI you can land up too slow without hearing the change in speed.
Thinking of the very experienced bush pilot spinning in with his Cub (think it was) in Alaska while whale watching.
Groetnis
Francois Gouws

Return to “Academy & Flight Safety”