Moderator: Moderators

scanavphoto
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: ENGM
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 120 times

The Corona Diaries

Unread post by scanavphoto » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm

I'll readily admit to being a hoarder. But I'm particular as to what I hoard. Slides - definately. Well, and some other stuff too. I have been digitizing my collection over the past many years. Trouble is; the collection grows and I keep moving stuff in and out #-o So this will remain work in progress for the remainder of my life (and probably my grandchildren's - not that they're interested...).

Here close to the 60th parallel, we are in the third week of "extreme measures" with schools, kindergartens, shops, dentists, optometrists , etc closed. Those who can are expected to work from home. For some of us that is business as usual with the exception of having a full house of people suffering the same fate. So we need to do something with cabinitis. The joys of slides and noise-cancelling headset 8)

I thought I would go through some of the slides from far and wide (not only Africa this time) and share them here with the usual caveats. They are mine and don't share. You can link to them, but not nick them [-X

Let's start at the permanent airport second furthest away from South Africa if you fly more or less due North. Located at 78° 14′ 46″ N, 15° 27′ 56″ E, Svalbard Airport lies on a point along the Advent Fjord outside Longyearbyen (Longyear City until 1926 as it was named after the founder John Longyear). Since 1975 it has been the lifeline of the small island community. This photo was taken around 14:30 on 5 October 1994. As you can see, the sun is already setting. Three weeks later, it would set and return on 16 February the following year.

The 737 belonged to Braathens SAFE, now absorbed into SAS, and provided almost daily flights from Oslo via Tromsø - all in all three and a half hours flying, the last leg is over the Arctic Ocean with Iceland and Norway as alternates. UK's Defence Research Agency (formerly RAE and A&AEE and a few more) frequently used the airport for their research flights with an ancient BAC One-Eleven.

These users liked the author scanavphoto for the post (total 5):
MarsMGRMadMacsEuro Flyerantonkr
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: The Corona Diaries

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:47 pm

.......txs for the bonus Kjell, looking forward to some interesting storypics! Keep safe!
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
nic weskus
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
nic weskus
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: st Helena bay
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by nic weskus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:30 am

If you live in Norway I would like to ask you a favour.

To please surprise someone.
Please send a message from your phone.

"Jeg savner deg datter min og elsker deg."
She is in Harams-oý.

Struggling with my new phone .
It cannot write in Nynorsk.

And she refuses to talk to speak the old language.

Her name is Aurora.
The lady of the dawn

Will send pm.
Mange takk
Nic.
LEALDADE
scanavphoto
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by scanavphoto » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 am

This is the ill-fated Yoke Peter. DeHavilland Comet 1 G-ALYP was the aircraft that introduced the jet age to the traveling public when it on 2 May 1952 departed London Airport (as Heathrow was known then) for Rome, Beirut, Khartoum, Entebbe, Livingstone, and Johannesburg where it landed at Palmietfontein the following day. In these Corona times one can reflect on the situation in those cities today and compare to 1952...

This slide was taken at Palmietfontein (I believe given the BOAC truck and SAA stairs) in October 1952. Fifteen months later Yoke Peter disintegrated while flying over the Mediterranean Sea en-route to Beirut. A few months later, G-ALYV crashed in India and the last was SA201 operated by G-ALYY with a South-African crew. All three aircraft disintregated in flight. It was later determined that metal fatigue in the corners of the square windows was the cause leading to design changes and round windows in all future designs.

These users liked the author scanavphoto for the post (total 3):
Ray WACE MANHorace Blok
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 244 times

Unread post by Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Scanav, you are a beauty. Something to look forward to during our lockdown. :D Thank you Sir!
These users liked the author Roger for the post:
Horace Blok
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
scanavphoto
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by scanavphoto » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 am

My middle daughter studied at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth. For that reason alone, I have an affinity for that somewhat windy city - and, in all fairness, it is a nice place. When you work with old slides, you get interesting result. This is a mess, but a good scanner, great software and some Photoshop tweaks - this is where you end up. I try not to be overly courageous as that takes away the sense of the slide, in my opinion.

ZS-BOJ is an Erco 415C Ercoupe (c/n 4040) and was at PE on 5 March 1969. She was written off in an accident not far away at Uitenhage 28 January 1982.

These users liked the author scanavphoto for the post (total 4):
ACE MANHorace BlokRogerOldlae
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 567 times

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:04 pm

ZS-CXC in the photo is currently for sale here on Avcom! :D

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
scanavphotoBD
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Jaco-P
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Jaco-P » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Video by Steve Winterton on Youtube.
These users liked the author Jaco-P for the post (total 4):
Bearcatscanavphotovictorylapboneman
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 670 times
Been liked: 210 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Christmas in Mar/Apr :) interesting spread in the photo with the two PA22, and then what must have been a brand new PA28 and then two other PA types , possibly 18’s, then the glamorous Gooney bird to the left - nice
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
stoney727
Changing Underwear
Closest Airfield: Where the aircraft is par
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by stoney727 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:42 pm

I must also try and get the program running digitizing my Dad's slides. We have a big suitcase full of slides. And lots of slides of aircraft in the 60's and 70's.

Some interesting stuff might come out of it.
Somewhere out there!
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive.
BD
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAGC+FALA+FAGM
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by BD » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:54 pm

In the late 1970's and early 1980's, I had a share in ZS-CXC, the PA22.
Brian Davidson.
Last edited by BD on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users liked the author BD for the post:
ACE MAN
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 693 times
Been liked: 839 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 pm

scanavphoto wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 am
My middle daughter studied at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University in Port Elizabeth. For that reason alone, I have an affinity for that somewhat windy city - and, in all fairness, it is a nice place. When you work with old slides, you get interesting result. This is a mess, but a good scanner, great software and some Photoshop tweaks - this is where you end up. I try not to be overly courageous as that takes away the sense of the slide, in my opinion.

ZS-BOJ is an Erco 415C Ercoupe (c/n 4040) and was at PE on 5 March 1969. She was written off in an accident not far away at Uitenhage 28 January 1982.

OH! WOW!!!! Scanavphoto - this really brings memories flooding back. I have owned a bunch of Colts, but CXC was everyone's favourite.

BOJ - the Ercoupe either belonged to Kieth Acton or Schalk vd Merwe - or perhaps both of them at different times. Can't say I loved it, but hell, all aircraft are wonderful - just some are more so than others. :lol:

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post:
ACE MAN
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
scanavphoto
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by scanavphoto » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Saturday and skiving from house cleaning. Well, not really. I'm waiting for the kit I need to clean the windows. Actually a very good excuse to bring in a boat. For those of us who have flown on these creatures, they will always remain a great memory. Landing on a body of water and all you see is water speeding at you is frightening, trust me.

Z-CAT is a Canso built by Canadian Vickers for the Royal Canadian Air Force. After what most probably was an adventurous life, she ended up with the Catalina Safari Company in Harare for tourist flights on the Nile. I believe that was the subject of a story in Propliner back in the day. This photo was taken on the Nile.

I have to add a few more - sorry, but I can't help myself. In 1993 she was chartered for what today would be described as a reality TV show (heaven forbid). Michael Prophet wrote about that here:http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_arti ... ravel.html.

Z-CAT was ferried to New Zealand where she still thrives as ZK-PBY. I believe there is a Rhodie involved in that operation so the connection to her past is maintained.

This shots are from Amsterdam and over the polders of Flevoland in 1993.

These users liked the author scanavphoto for the post (total 3):
Horace BlokRay WOldlae
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 693 times
Been liked: 839 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:39 pm

scanavphoto wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm
Saturday and skiving from house cleaning. Well, not really. I'm waiting for the kit I need to clean the windows. Actually a very good excuse to bring in a boat. For those of us who have flown on these creatures, they will always remain a great memory. Landing on a body of water and all you see is water speeding at you is frightening, trust me.

Z-CAT is a Canso built by Canadian Vickers for the Royal Canadian Air Force. After what most probably was an adventurous life, she ended up with the Catalina Safari Company in Harare for tourist flights on the Nile. I believe that was the subject of a story in Propliner back in the day. This photo was taken on the Nile.

I find this a very interesting shot. Although the aircraft appears to be digging its nose into the water the pilot has the elevator fully forward. Seems very strange unless there was a strong tailwind.

Anyone any ideas why this would be?

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 pm

scanavphoto wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 am

And know too, in those days at Algoa Flying Club, there was one hangar which housed the AMO. (Ian Ritchie was the AME). Those aircraft really did stay outside come hail wind rain or snow. Mike St Quintin and Cookie von Gerlach (Sp?) were the instructors there at that time - 1969. Phil Gutchie had one of the first Barons in SA - a B55 - and I don't quite recall where he hangared it? Jim??
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”