Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: SA Flyer magazine

Unread post by Snitch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

I believe many magazines have also been killed by video.

Why read about a flying adventure when you can watch it on a well made youtube channel ?
Same with training videos, Airline reviews, Aircraft reviews, Airport reviews etc etc
Even breaking news, weekly news, monthly news is available

Same why motor magazines have gone down, why read a manufacturer paid for review in a magazine a month or more after a car is released when you can watch one of the top quality impartial video reviews within hours or days of the cars release.

Some things are still better in magazines, but they have to up their game to stay alive
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 180 times

Unread post by Fransw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Snitch wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Why read about a flying adventure when you can watch it on a well made youtube channel ?
Same with training videos, Airline reviews, Aircraft reviews, Airport reviews etc etc

Same why motor magazines have gone down, why read a manufacturer paid for review in a magazine a month or more after a car is released when you can watch one of the top quality impartial video reviews within hours or days of the cars release.

Some things are still better in magazines, but they have to up their game to stay alive
True, but why not include a couple of good videos in the magazine..

Nothing like a good magazine, hard/soft
alpha-mike-tango
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 25 times

Unread post by alpha-mike-tango » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 pm

Some things might work well (or even better) in video format but some things will always be better by far in the written word. A well-written, informative and/or lighthearted column is much nicer to read than watching some talking head - especially one with an awful American accent.
One of the main reasons those mindless American reality series so loved by DSTV are to me utterly unwatchable.

IMHO people have become lazy - it is easier to sit in front of the gogglebox than make the effort to actually read and let your imagination run with it. I often read and re-read certain sections of text that I particularly relish. Jim Davis or Hugh Pryor's articles would just not be the same nor would rewinding a video ......
Even books - one of life's simple pleasures is curling up with a good book. A Hollywood-style bastardized version will never be as good.
I have a library at home filled with aviation-related books and magazines - some dating back to the 1930s. It gives me much pleasure to simply page through them when the mood takes me or look for a particular piece of information. To have to do that via a external hard drive would sadden me no end - even slowly kill my interest in the subject.

I agree, magazines might need to up their game in this (not always better) world we now live in - I sincerely hope that there will always be a place for decent printed media.
These users liked the author alpha-mike-tango for the post (total 3):
Ugly Ducklingflysouthapollo11
While it is important to be able to laugh at oneself, it is equally important not to be armed with an overwhelming amount of material.
C Africa
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by C Africa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Snitch wrote:

To each his own, I know this is a big thing with the new generation, but I simply hate video. Just write the information down for me and let me read it.

I don't buy any magazines (with the exception of one hunting magazine). My main complaint is that the journalists seem to strive to cover as much paper as possible. If some-one brought out a service where they summarise the articles, I might be interested. Take CR's speech the other night. There are 50 articles which covers pages of what this political party had to say about it, or how that person reacted to it. Who cares, give me a short concise summary of what he said and allow me to make up my own mind?

C
These users liked the author C Africa for the post (total 2):
alpha-mike-tangoLeo Theron
African Flyer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by African Flyer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm

GL wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 am
Thanks for missing the printed mag everyone - I admit that I too prefer print.
Problem is - the General Aviation industry is completely screwed. People are just not spending money, many companies have staff on half pay - and there is no way they can then justify spending money on advertising when they cannot pay their staff. Needless to say, advertising is what keeps the magazines alive.
Bottom line is we don't have enough income to cover a print bill. It cost us about R150,000 to print the mag. I suppose we could get it down to about half that - but then many outlets would no longer get copies - or they would not get enough to give us shelf space. Also the unit cost goes up even higher. It cost around R25-30 to print a copy and we only got 50% of the cover price from the shops (RNA) - so every copy we sell at a loss.
Printing is a luxury we just cannot afford until the industry begins to turn around.
And the reality is the digital platforms provide far more value to our advertisers in terms of links to their websites - embedded videos of their business and latest products etc. etc. Plus we are able to provide daily news - just spend a few minutes on our great new website - www.saflyer.com
Thank you for the free copy sir
These users liked the author African Flyer for the post:
jimdavis
Positive rate! :D
alpha-mike-tango
Straight and Level

Unread post by alpha-mike-tango » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 pm

87Juliet wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:26 pm
Guy's editorial pretty much explains it all. Sad but true.

IMG_0005.PNG
I assume Guy's editorial is in response to what was said in an email sent to Avcom members by another local aviation magazine?
While it is important to be able to laugh at oneself, it is equally important not to be armed with an overwhelming amount of material.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 622 times

Unread post by Whirly » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Got it too, but I am not interested in reading either online.

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
alpha-mike-tango87Juliet
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
alpha-mike-tango
Straight and Level

Unread post by alpha-mike-tango » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Whirly wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm
Got it too, but I am not interested in reading either online.

Whirly.
Ditto here.
I guess its "That's All Folks" for me and local aviation magazines then ............ :(
Overseas magazines too expensive and other local ones still in print for now not really up my alley. Will have to find my fix somewhere else then.
Planemad
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Cape Radio Flyers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Planemad » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks Snitch.

Will heed your advice and have a look at those options.

Regards
moosp
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 56 times

Unread post by moosp » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:05 am

I prefer the feel of a paper magazine, not just an aviation one. But I understand the situation.

What I particularly like about SAFlyer online is the size it has become. I am sure if it was in paper form it would make a door stop. Many more articles and video adverts if you want to click through to them.

I think Guy has done a good job under the circumstances.
These users liked the author moosp for the post:
87Juliet
Cessna Cardinal C177RG
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 842 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 am

Snitch wrote:

Snitch, pretty much all writing is either to give info or entertainment - often both.

If you are looking for info then Google is the place to go - but for entertainment you probably need a magazine.

jim
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Dawlish
Incipient Spin
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Dawlish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 am

Message to Guy....

Hey, Guy - would it be possible to produce an on-line version of SA Flyer that is pre-formatted to allow for full-color duplex printing in A4?

That way, those who don’t like reading on-line could - if they had a decent printer and good quality paper - print a hard copy and, with a couple of well-placed staples, produce their own “real” SA Flyer.
jimdavis
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGG
Has liked: 842 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Unread post by jimdavis » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am

GREAT NEWS

I think I have managed to bully the Gleitch into producing two digital formats:

1. This ghastly page-turner thing which pi$$es everyone off because if you want it to be a readable size you have to shuffle the content all over the screen.

2. A PDF version which puts up a single page at a time, and you just gently scroll down. Apparently this will be downloadable so you you will be able to keep the articles you enjoy.

I think this is a huge breakthrough for those of us who are fed up with the stupid page-turner.

jim
These users liked the author jimdavis for the post (total 5):
Jean CrousVoloflysouthStill_Learningheisan
"PPL Manual"
"Flight Tests"
"So Others May Live"
"Flying in Africa" Vol 1
"Flying in Africa" Vol 2
Look inside these books, or buy them at: www.jimdavis.co.za.
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 109 times

Unread post by Snitch » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:46 am

jimdavis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am
GREAT NEWS
2. A PDF version
I think this is a huge breakthrough for those of us who are fed up with the stupid page-turner.

jim
Great. A PDF version is the best. Just like most other large international publications
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 1249 times
Been liked: 422 times

Unread post by Ray W » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:14 am

jimdavis wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am
GREAT NEWS

I think I have managed to bully the Gleitch into producing two digital formats:

1. This ghastly page-turner thing which pi$$es everyone off because if you want it to be a readable size you have to shuffle the content all over the screen.

2. A PDF version which puts up a single page at a time, and you just gently scroll down. Apparently this will be downloadable so you you will be able to keep the articles you enjoy.

jim
To quote Mr Burns (from The Simpsons) "Excellent" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”