Re: Airport ILS calibration

Unread post by b-rad » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:34 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:03 pm
Only wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 am
ACE MAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am

Correct , but is it a dedicated equipped and crewed for calibration or is it a charter aircraft?
Does it matter? If it is charter aircraft they could've required it for calibration. This proof to me that there is a South African company that could've done it a year ago.

My question is, did this company saw opportunity and loaded the price so much that it was better to get a foreign operator in.
It would be interesting if they priced themselves outside the market - in typical SA fashion I am sure someone would be looking for palms to be well greased in a tender.
Maybe the amount of grease on offer/potential amount of grease from the overseas operator turned out to be a bit more attractive. Randelas aren't always as appealing as other varieties.
These users liked the author b-rad for the post:
ACE MAN
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 884 times
Been liked: 305 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Wrt all the talk about a South African company being able to do the calibrations. Have a read at his

http://aerossurance.com/news/building-s ... a-airport/

You will see that although it was a South African registered aircraft that was chartered to do the calibration in St Helena, It was actually a UK calibration firm that did it in compliance with British air regulations. I say again I do not believe there is a SA firm capable to do it with the capable equipment. In order to do what was done in ST Helena the same British firm would have needed to be contracted to do it - I am sure the cost would’ve been cheaper going the Ukrainian route, irrespective until a South African firm meets the approval and equipped requirements.
These users liked the author ACE MAN for the post:
Only
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Only
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Only » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 am

ACE MAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Wrt all the talk about a South African company being able to do the calibrations. Have a read at his

You will see that although it was a South African registered aircraft that was chartered to do the calibration in St Helena, It was actually a UK calibration firm that did it in compliance with British air regulations. I say again I do not believe there is a SA firm capable to do it with the capable equipment. In order to do what was done in ST Helena the same British firm would have needed to be contracted to do it - I am sure the cost would’ve been cheaper going the Ukrainian route, irrespective until a South African firm meets the approval and equipped requirements.
Thank you Ace, very interesting.
EDP
Rotating
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by EDP » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:04 am

Only wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 am
ACE MAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you Ace, very interesting.
I find the post quoted above contradictory. It was a SA firm that flew the calibration missions in St. Helena. The fact that it, and several subsequent visits to the Island resulted in successful calibration proves that the SA firm was capable? The equipment is available, and can be installed in the same aircraft at short notice. The antennas remain in place on the aircraft. A UK technician operated the equipment. The equipment/technician was available for the SA calibration.

Costs of the St. Helena exercise were borne by UK government. SACAA covers costs of local calibration. SACAA received a number of local bids, all were unsuccessful with the exception of one which 'met the requirements'! An argument about 'costs' would require details of all costs involved, otherwise it is pure speculation.....

The application to be registered as a calibration company continues to gather dust....
These users liked the author EDP for the post (total 2):
jimdavisThermalator
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 292 times

Unread post by Deanw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Whilst I have no insight into this tender, I'd imagine that SACAA is subject to the PFMA. As such, there are a number of requirements and pre-qualifications that bidders must adhere to. Price is the very last step (and subject to 80/20 preferential pricing if below R50m).

Thus, a local tenderer may have the lowest price, but if they did not meet a minimum requirement, they forgot to include critical information in their tender, did not complete a specific form, etc, then they would be deemed non-responsive.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
EDP
Rotating
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by EDP » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:31 am

Deanw wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:36 pm
Whilst I have no insight into this tender, I'd imagine that SACAA is subject to the PFMA. As such, there are a number of requirements and pre-qualifications that bidders must adhere to. Price is the very last step (and subject to 80/20 preferential pricing if below R50m).

Thus, a local tenderer may have the lowest price, but if they did not meet a minimum requirement, they forgot to include critical information in their tender, did not complete a specific form, etc, then they would be deemed non-responsive.
This is from the judgement on the recently decided court case dealing with the above (judgement give on 3 November 2020)
It is declared that the Preferential Procurement Regulations, 2017 are inconsistent with the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act 5 of 2000 and are invalid.
Sadly too late for those who tendered in the calibration case, and I don't know whether it would even have rung a distant bell at SACAA?
opsmike
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by opsmike » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:37 am

Our experience was that the team was professional and did what they had to do. They flew a hour longer than we normally experienced but the total bill was 35% cheaper than in the past
These users liked the author opsmike for the post (total 2):
sweptwingSegg
Airports are where it happens
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 292 times

Unread post by Deanw » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:35 am

EDP wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:31 am
This is from the judgement on the recently decided court case dealing with the above (judgement give on 3 November 2020)
It is declared that the Preferential Procurement Regulations, 2017 are inconsistent with the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act 5 of 2000 and are invalid.
Sadly too late for those who tendered in the calibration case, and I don't know whether it would even have rung a distant bell at SACAA?
Did the SACAA tender require a minimum BEE level?

The PPPFA still stands, only the Regulations were set aside. Thus, the preferential pricing points formula (90/10 or 80/20, depending on contract price) is still valid, but the option to have pre-qualification criteria (ie, a minimum BEE level) as contained in the regulations was set aside.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by Snitch » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:47 am

They are busy in Botswana today.

Maybe they gave a very good price to do multiple African countries ???
Zambia and Botswana now also done by them.
Wonder where is next
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 112 times

Unread post by Snitch » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am

Anyone know who Zambia and Botswana usually use ?
RAArmstrong
Priming
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by RAArmstrong » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:08 pm

I suspect Namibia next. I see a bunch of their procedures are suspended pending calibration as well.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”