Jim-J
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: VMMC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: SA Pilots Killed in Kabul Blast

Unread post by Jim-J » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am

Flymecpt agreed!

IOL - HIGHLY distasteful photo's posted even before NOK notified.
Alan Robertson
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGC or front garden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Alan Robertson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 am

Pictures are downright tasteless. It is just not necessary to show the bodies.

I am looking forward to condemnation from the local Muslim community to this despicable act which pales in comparison to some stupid video by a few individuals who happen to live on the other side of the world. My guess is that the local mullahs will either stay silent or deflect.

And as for the same old observation when someone from the Muslim community does open their mouth that '...it is just a tiny minority that do this sort of thing'. Really? And when is the claimed majority who disapprove going to open their mouths and do something?

I think there are going to be a lot of explanations required by the Creator.
Snoopy

Unread post by Snoopy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 am

Hizb-e-Islami Profile:

Afghanistan's second-biggest armed group after the Taliban.

Not aligned with the Taliban, but is against what it calls the US "occupation".

Led by Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, 65, a former warlord.
Hekmatyar is a former Afghan prime minister and one-time US ally during the war against the Soviet occupation

Listed by US State Dept as an international terrorist.

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar believes “jihad” alone could resolve their country’s crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbi_Islami
CharlieVictorSierra
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: EGLF

Unread post by CharlieVictorSierra » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... FmPpbLiaZk

Looks like the local Muslim community is starting to speak out!! Interesting...why not just get the HELL out of there and leave them to destroy themselves. As the article says, the US and its NATO forces being present there only serves as provocation for this kind of savagery!
Cape Town - The Claremont Main Road Mosque, in Cape Town, has condemned the suicide bomb attack that killed eight South Africans in Kabul, Afghanistan.

“The latest killings are part of the ongoing protests against the offensive film depicting Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) in a profane and negative light,” the mosque said in a statement on Wednesday.

It said that by continuing to choose violence as a response to provocation, the attackers betrayed the prophet's legacy and wisdom.
Balloothebear
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FALE
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Balloothebear » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:40 am

Over the years, I have had the pleasure and privilage of working with two of the deceased.
The reality check is the number of times many of us contract dogs (past and present) have driven down those same roads, smiled and waved at the locals,
but, by the grace of God, our lives have been spared.
Our lives fly by in the wink of an eye.
R.I.P guys and condolences to those left behind.
BTB.
"Social media is the toilet of the internet " Lady Gaga 2019
Selfloader
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: Margate

Unread post by Selfloader » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:41 am

I note with interest that although the SA Government has expressed condolences to the families concerned, it has not condemned the attack, says 702
flybug
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by flybug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am

SO agree on the disgusting photos - in particular on IOL. I have commented to IOL under the graphic images, whilst trying to avoid looking them - having lost a close friend in the blast. Please comment too - there is no need for these images - friends and family need not have it shoved in their face on front page news. People know what bombs do - show pics of the bus if you must - but not people that can be identified.

This story is heart breaking and it will take so very long for families to recover from the turmoil of emotions they are going through. Their memories however shall remain forever - we shall all ensure that of those we love!
oystercatcher

Unread post by oystercatcher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 am

I agree w.r.t the photo's. Utterly disgusted at IOL for posting pics. Have emailed them and the press council to lodge a complaint. Think more people should follow suite. Heartfelt sympaties to all involved. Can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. You are in our thoughts & prays!
flybug
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by flybug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Oystercatcher - please pm the details of who you emailed - I will gladly do the same
flybug
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by flybug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

The horrific pictures that were up that I had seen on IOL have been removed - thank you to all who complained X I am so relieved
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Reuters has a different pic, looks more like a freeway or what's left of bombers car?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KMIA or on the Farm

Unread post by Superfueler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Why were Saffers targeted? Is it because as the media says that Balmoral was contracted to the US State Dept ? Was it a case of mistaken identity? A random or a planned attack? Why Why Why? There are so many why's
The fact that those who died knew full well the extreme risks they were taking does not make it any easier for those left behind. My thoughts are with the Families and I wish them strength in the weeks, months and years ahead. It's just absolutely awful.
Snoopy

Unread post by Snoopy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:35 pm

V5 - LEO wrote:Reuters has a different pic, looks more like a freeway or what's left of bombers car?
People; most of the photos available to the media are from Reuters or AFP.

They were merely distributed to IOL etc via the media network.

Condolences again to all at BalmOral, and to the families and friends of the deceased.
goga
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by goga » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:31 pm

My heart bleeds for the families.Working on contract is hard earned money.RIP good people :( :( :(
Proper-previous- planning-prevents-piss-poor-performance
Derek Hopkins
flyinghigher
Mags Dead Cut

Unread post by flyinghigher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm

With regards to where the minibus / crew transport was at the time of the blast etc.

They were NOT at the filling station, they have never and are never allowed to refuel or stop the car for anything with crew on board. The road they were on is a side road, just wider than a single lane next to the 6 odd lane highway, this little road runs parallel to the main highway. Its often used to bypass the heavy traffic but it is NOT used all the time, it is up to the driver. This attack took place right outside the petrol station, its quite close to the traffic circle. A white sedan rammed the minibus head on, the explosion blew the minibus into the petrol station, about 20-50m away, that is why it looks like they stopped for fuel at the petrol station. Hope that sorts things out... but in my mind this was a coordinated attack not just some random attack, they knew the movements or routes and the times etc, which is more shocking. There is no way in hell they knew what time we would be on that small road, if we were indeed going to take that exact route and what time, it just doesnt add up.

Will miss all of you guys and girl, such a loss...

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”