Moderator: Moderators

Surge
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Glidings Best kept Secret

Unread post by Surge » Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm

There are very few students on Saturdays at MGC (I'm not sure what Sunday's are like since I only fly on Saturdays).
Just be aware that if you choose to use winch launching as your primary launch method, there are days when the winch may be INOP (seldom) or the wind may not be playing nicely (we only winch launch on runway 36RR so the wind must be calm or have a Northerly component).
If you opt for aero tows you're pretty much guaranteed to get a launch.
IcarusZulu
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Magalies Gliding Club

Unread post by IcarusZulu » Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 pm

kamikaze wrote:I'm SUPER keen!
See you at the club then.
I used to paraglide too. It was a lot of driving and waiting on the hill then driving home again. With gliding sure initially it's a full day whilst training. Once you have your GPL and a share in a glider you can then come out any time you want.

Looking at my livetrack24 and OLC trace and comparing it to the paragliders who fly off Rusternburg and The Dam from yesterdays 5/5/2013 flying I got up to 9500ft (winter weather = 14000ft in summer) where they only got to 6700ft. I flew in and out of eleven thermals for two hours and covered 80km distance zigzag around the club where they were lucky to get one thermal - most of their traces were ridge lift to the bottom of the hill. One lucky paraglider chap managed to do an 8km XC :roll: .
Engines who needs em anyhow?

ZS-GPD, ZS-GXA
FlyFalke
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Potch

Unread post by FlyFalke » Mon May 06, 2013 4:04 pm

I agree fully with Volo. Gliding is the best kept secret in aviation. The reason why it is so affordable is because a whole bunch of people are prepared to while away their time on the gliding field helping other guys get in the air. All for free - no charge. Of course there are club fees etc. Let's look for more guys who are prepared to do that.
The only way of achieving the goal of pulling more people into gliding is by advertising. Look at the the ads for powered flight in a magazine like GL's. Many of them. But for gliding - nothing. Except for the odd article by GL ( THANKS ) there is nothing to let people out there know about gliding. And by the way it will be interesting to compare the PPL an GPL dropout rate.
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 228 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Mon May 06, 2013 6:12 pm

kudu177 wrote:
ARM505 wrote:I would love to glide - I did an intro and it was awesome. It's also affordable.

But there is absolutely zero chance of having a career in aviation (ie work most weekends), a family, and going gliding on a regular basis from Cape Town. None. It's hardly surprising that so few actually take it up on a regular basis if you ask me - it's not the 'instant gratification' generation, it's the generation that is losing weekends, and has no time for such time-consuming activities IMHO.
Ja, this is very true.

Maybe what you need is one of these: the BUG (Basic Ultralight Glider). Homebuilt from plans although I understand there is also a kit from a third party builder. It seems to be a way into gliding that by very nature of the aircraft itself is supposed to free up that otherwise "tedious" process

Now where would this fit into the mix when it comes to training: do you need a GPL or an HGPL to fly it? If the latter, is the training process more easily accessible than conventional gliding?

And what would the CAA have to say about these craft?
BUG.jpg
http://m-sandlin.info/

I like the whole approach - low tech, low inertia, low cost. These are pictures of the PIG (Primary Instruction Glider).
PP-landing2.jpg

pp-Ontruk2.jpg
From the web page: "... one of two Superfloaters that launched by rolling off Crestline on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012 (from the Crestline Soaring Website). Both flights were 5 hours long and flown in company with hang gliders, leading to a good deal of discussion about relative performance ... From my experiences I suspect that the mechanical controls of an airchair are an advantage over hang gliders in thermalling because they can be used continuously and fully, unlike arm controlled thermalling where you have to hold back and under-control in order to prevent exhaustion."

5 hours!

And who wouldn't want to fly like this?
SD%20Union.jpg
Would like to build a Bug or Goat as an EAA project. What licence would be required?
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Thermalator
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Thermalator » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

@UD that type of machine is best flown towed behind a trike tug as the hanggliders do at Aviators Paradise. But performance won't be much better than a hangglider so a hangglider will be cheaper. To fly it on coastal dunes like that a paraglider is More convenient than either if you just want to boat around. In all cases convenience and oppertunity of launch is the primary decider.

@IcarusZulu sunday was not great in Rustenburg (I was in the motor glider with you) then went to look north - used iron thermal. Paragliders normally get same alt, some rare days they fly further than anyone at orient. Saturday a pg did 60km, orient 5km max. In the last 14 months I've done the Rustenburg - Aviators milk run 60 km by paraglider 5x in 8 attempts. (Beer is the main reason to land) Also 160km rustenburg to Kroonstad crossing the Vaal at FL 140 (4.8 hours)

@K Come to orient never believe negativity, we all phly phor FUN. If things feel lethargic, just muck in, find an instructor and infect them with enthusiasm. You should get 3 flights a day if its not very busy - pick your days accordingly.
info junkie
Bodumatau
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FBMN + EDPA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Bodumatau » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:44 pm

just reviving this thread a little, does anyone know what is needed to convert a SA PPL (A) to a SA Glider Pilots licence?
Scrapyard Dog
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: Orient Airfield
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by Scrapyard Dog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:43 am

You can't convert unfortunately, you'd have to do the whole syllabus from scratch.

What does count In your favour is that in holding a PPL you wohld progress a lot faster than a student who has 0 hours. There's no minimum hour requirement in obtains a GPL so you'd get yours in fewer hours.

I would really encourage you to take it up, it teaches you so much about flying and very valuable lessons can be taken into all aspects of aviation from gliding.

I use some of the principles of energy managent when I fly jets, the basics still apply!
Daniel Perry

ZS - VIG DH82a Tiger Moth
ZS - UEH Fournier RF4D
ZS - MIC Boeing PT 17 Stearman
angelwings
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by angelwings » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:57 am

I have 10 000+ hours on powered aircraft, and have recently started on my GPL. Best decision ever!!

I can highly recommend it!!! Fantastic fun and real seat of the pants flying.
Another empty kitchen
Alanl
ATC Delay

Unread post by Alanl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi all
yes better to fly gliders before your PPL

Guy how about a regular article in SA Flyer

Alan
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by JCA » Sun May 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Alanl wrote:Hi all
yes better to fly gliders before your PPL

Guy how about a regular article in SA Flyer

Alan
Sounds like you are volunteering Alan. If you write the articles and are as good as they will be, GL won't hesitate to put it in the mag. =D>
Bodumatau
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Bodumatau » Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm

So besides the friendly advice to try gliding :) can anybody tell me what needed to get your GPL.?
As a PPL do you need to rewrite exams? Is it just a practical conversion?
aviator
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by aviator » Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 am

I have a yearning to start gliding, having been paragliding for 15 years, and flying fixed wing for 6. The one thing that keeps me from it though is I don't have the time to sacrifice a whole weekend "pulling my weight" at a club when I don't know if I will even get my turn to fly.

It's not about wanting instant gratification, but rather knowing that if I put in the time I will get what I came for (and pay for).
The impression I got at Orient is that you have to grovel your way into the cockpit. Not my scene.
Kobus Oosthuizen
Bodumatau
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Bodumatau » Mon May 02, 2016 10:59 am

any club anywhere in the world you will need to put some man hours in to get your fellow club members who are also learning into the air, the year to get your licence can be tedious I agree but after you have accomplished your licence it usually isnt so time consuming.

I spent an amazing weekend at Orient in 2007, as a guest student pilot (did my glider licence in Germany) and in 2 days I did 3 glider starts and learnt a LOT, then got asked by an open class pilot if I would mind being "ballast" for his "little afternoon flight" and off we went for 4 hours and flew over 300km's, after that weekend my head was spinning with impressions and experiences. everybody was extremely friendly, helpful, courteous, accommodating.... but as with any club the attitude you arrive with gets mirrored back at you. If you arrive and want to show off, you will get shot down.... if you arrive and are willing to be part of the team, can take and give some, laugh at and be laughed at, help launch and get launched, get your glider pushed back and push others gliders back to the launch position, then you going to have an amazing time......

so back to my original question, what does an SA PPL holder need to get a GPL?
Thermalator
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times

Unread post by Thermalator » Mon May 02, 2016 11:15 am

Its subjective, you have to convince an Instructor & the CFI that you are ready to fly solo, if they are convinced you could move quickly onto single seaters. There is some minimum of 10 flights (don't quote me) under supervision/sign off before the GPL is issued but many of those 'could' (depends on the convincing) be flown on a single seater ! Plus of course exams, probably skipping parts already done
info junkie
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by Volo » Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 pm

aviator wrote:I have a yearning to start gliding, having been paragliding for 15 years, and flying fixed wing for 6. The one thing that keeps me from it though is I don't have the time to sacrifice a whole weekend "pulling my weight" at a club when I don't know if I will even get my turn to fly.

It's not about wanting instant gratification, but rather knowing that if I put in the time I will get what I came for (and pay for).
The impression I got at Orient is that you have to grovel your way into the cockpit. Not my scene.
Hi Aviator ,
I here the perceived frustration regarding the training phase of gliding and the Major problem at present in South African gliding is that there are no commercial gliding schools , however that could change sometime in the future - I hope !!

The training process in the club environment is constrained by the fact that the support structure , meaning tug pilots /instructors /winch drivers etc. are all unpaid volunteers . The downside is that you can't really book a spot or time but the upside is that it cuts the cost as you will only pay for the operational cost of the glider /tug / winch .

Your training could take place on either a Saturday or Sunday without pre -arrangement and you will be required to do a day duty about every 6 weeks from one of the following categories : duty officer /winch driver / buggy driver for glider retrieves /winch assistant / time recorder etc.

Join us on a temporary ticket at Orient airfield ( Magalies Gliding Club) for a couple of months to see if you like our offerings .

Contact me by sending me a PM and I will help you integrate into the system - we have excellent gliders and instructors available not to mention a well stocked bar (after flying of course ) . :)

Dave

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”