Kobus Oosthuizen
Surge
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Glidings Best kept Secret

Unread post by Surge » Mon May 02, 2016 7:54 pm

aviator wrote:The impression I got at Orient is that you have to grovel your way into the cockpit. Not my scene.
I had a similar experience until I realised that one needs to drive one's own training.
i.e. Phone an instructor during the week to get his/her commitment, get to the airfield early so that you're first in the queue, etc.

The other alternative is to arrange to do training in a motor glider which means one can do early morning training and be home by 12.

However without some "grovelling" who is going to drive the winch, run wings, retrieve gliders that have landed, do the paperwork, etc? Without volunteers the clubs would cease to exist.
One also sometimes needs some buddies to pull you and your glider out of a muddy field in the dark so one needs to be willing to return the favour.

Unfortunately a club that relies on volunteers in order to operate will never be as convenient as a commercial operation.
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by JCA » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 pm

Surge wrote:
aviator wrote:The impression I got at Orient is that you have to grovel your way into the cockpit. Not my scene.
I had a similar experience until I realised that one needs to drive one's own training.
i.e. Phone an instructor during the week to get his/her commitment, get to the airfield early so that you're first in the queue, etc.

The other alternative is to arrange to do training in a motor glider which means one can do early morning training and be home by 12.

However without some "grovelling" who is going to drive the winch, run wings, retrieve gliders that have landed, do the paperwork, etc? Without volunteers the clubs would cease to exist.
One also sometimes needs some buddies to pull you and your glider out of a muddy field in the dark so one needs to be willing to return the favour.

Unfortunately a club that relies on volunteers in order to operate will never be as convenient as a commercial operation.

You are so right Surge. =D>
Arjan
Lining Up - unmanned
Closest Airfield: Brits
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Arjan » Tue May 03, 2016 5:32 pm

IF FLYING WERE THE LANGUAGE OF MAN - SOARING WOULD BE ITS POETRY !!!

Guys - Gliding is a passion, a sport and exhilarating form of enjoyment - not a way of transport. If you are not flying to get somewhere faster and safer than by car but purely flying for enjoyment, there is no better way of doing it than in a glider !!

The thing with gliding is that it comes in a CLUB format. Unless you fly a self-launch glider you are dependent on fellow club members to get in the air, but hey... in the same token, they are dependent on you to also get in the air. In short , you have to put in to get out and that ratio must be balanced. It is NOT a hire and fly company where you pitch up and your plane is ready, you go fly, park and go home. Here you become part of a group of likeminded people that you spend the day with, ultimately become your friends and together we help, we fly, we enjoy and when the sun sets, have a beer together and share experiences.

Clubs DIFFER. Not all clubs operate the same but there are many around, so go and visit various clubs, go fly with the guys spend the day with them and then choose the one where you most feel at home. I can only speak for Kranskop Gliding Club in Brits - YESS... IN BRITS, just NW of Pretoria !! We are striving towards a "user friendly, MAXIMUM flying" club. We do training on pre-arranged days for students (generally every second weekend) and on those days, unless the weather boycotts you, YOU WILL FLY !! We do aero tows only and we don't have duty rosters so you won't get scheduled to work.... the spirit in the club will automatically get you in the "helping spirit" :P :P We are small but vibrant and ACTIVE !!

Converting from PPL to GPL is not all that difficult and is actually more a proses of adjusting while learning opposed to doing a full new syllabus. Shoot me if I'm wrong but in short it as follows.

1. Go find your club that you are comfortable in, Join Aero Club (most PPL's are members already) and join SSSA - To fly gliders in South Africa you have to be a Soaring Society Member.
2. Go RAASA and get a part68 SGPL - Strictly speaking your PPL is automatically your STPL but don't go there, save yourself the trouble and simply get a Glider Student License from RAASA.

Now you start training towards your GPL

1. You need 10 launces on launch type - You start flying with an instructor and every launch count towards that. Don't rush to go solo, you can fly an airplane, you got a PPL man, use this time to master the launch. (its different being towed up by another plane than to simply open power and go). Every training session will be started with a thorough pre-briefing with the instructor. Then you fly and after the flight have a proper de-briefing with observations of your flight. Use the time with the instructor to get the principles of thermaling , energy management and all that more sensitive disciplines of a glider flight. During these flights the instructor will ask the CFI to also asses you and normally that is followed by going solo soon. The instructor will go through the whole syllabus with you in this time and so note it in your training file.

For you to go solo you need.
1. Air Law - you got PPL so don't need to re-write. (as a matter of fact, you don't need to re-write any exams)
2. Radio License - As a PPL holder you should have one.
3. Valid SGPL - that we got right from the start.
4. Valid Medical - as PPL holder you should have one of those around somewhere as well.
5. Approval from the CFI

So OFF you go...

Once flying solo you will not be allowed to go and explore the wider Southern Africa. You will only be allowed to stay in the close proximity of the airfield where you can join the circuit at any time. Now is a good time to get to read some books on Gliding. Broaden your knowledge by reading what the fine art of soaring is all about.

While flying around in the glider try and get the following done as soon as you are able to.

1. Climb 1000ft above your release height and
2. Stay up for longer than 2hours.

Once that is verified as done (signed off in your logbook)... you are there. All you do then is a flight test with the CFI and "Bob's your Uncle" your finished... take your paperwork to RAASA and get your nice Orange License.

If you feel like speeding up this proses, go to a TMG flight school and do it all on a Touring Motor Glider, there you can go at your own pace.... Just remember... before you can get you GPL to fly a pure glider, you still have to do the 10 launches in a pure glider !!!

Plenty has now been said... best is to simply visit some clubs and do some "introduction flights" ( log them, as every flight is a training flight - in gliding there are no such thing as going for a flip) Just be careful... once hooked, you will get invested with the urge to refine your flying to fine art... and ultimately you will become a much much better pilot.
These users liked the author Arjan for the post:
Bergie
ZU GAS ( Whisper TMG )
ZS GLH ( Astir Glider )
ZU MAS (Zenith CH640 )
ZS GWK ( DG 505 M. SL “for sale” )
ZS GAH ( Falke SF25C “sold” :( )
ZS GFH ( Focke Wulf Kranich II )
D-EWHI - ZU WAS (Wilga PZL35 - in rebuild)
ZU IMD (Wide Hawk)
Surge
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Surge » Tue May 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Arjan wrote: For you to go solo you need.
1. Air Law - you got PPL so don't need to re-write. (as a matter of fact, you don't need to re-write any exams)
For solo one doesn't need to have written any exams but in order to get your GPL license one needs to write and pass the 7 NPL TMG exams.
This change happened in December last year IIRC.
Arjan
Lining Up - unmanned

Unread post by Arjan » Tue May 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Surge wrote:
Arjan wrote: For you to go solo you need.
For solo one doesn't need to have written any exams but in order to get your GPL license one needs to write and pass the 7 NPL TMG exams.
This change happened in December last year IIRC.

Surge - I have been typing this since November man, how must I know that it changes by the day :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

If you have written your PPL subjects they are automatically valid for NPL/TMG/GPL but not the other way round, or has that also changed ? Would not make cense though....
ZU GAS ( Whisper TMG )
ZS GLH ( Astir Glider )
ZU MAS (Zenith CH640 )
ZU IMD (Wide Hawk)
Bodumatau
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FBMN + EDPA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Bodumatau » Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 am

Lekker post Arjan, thanks for that :)
Surge
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Surge » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 am

Arjan wrote:If you have written your PPL subjects they are automatically valid for NPL/TMG/GPL but not the other way round, or has that also changed ? Would not make cense though....
I doubt the PPL exams would negate the requirement to write the NPL TMG exams. Best speak to RAASA to find out.
One is powered flying and the other is powerless flying so the exam questions and topics will be quite different.
That's like having an ATPL and expecting the exams to still be valid for piloting the space shuttle.

However if one has passed the PPL exams the NPL TMG exams should be a piece of cake after reading relevant gliding theory books.
Surge
Incipient Spin

Unread post by Surge » Wed May 04, 2016 8:42 am

Surge wrote:
Arjan wrote:If you have written your PPL subjects they are automatically valid for NPL/TMG/GPL but not the other way round, or has that also changed ? Would not make cense though....
I doubt the PPL exams would negate the requirement to write the NPL TMG exams. Best speak to RAASA to find out.
One is powered flight and the other is powerless flight so the exam questions and topics will be quite different.
That's like having an ATPL and expecting the exams to still be valid for piloting the space shuttle.

However if one has passed the PPL exams the NPL TMG exams should be a piece of cake after reading relevant gliding theory books.
Clinton01
ATC Delay
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Clinton01 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:15 am

:wink: Why would anyone want to learn to fly gliders as a short-cut to a PPL? Clubs should not fall into the trap of trying to recruit new members for that purpose. Instructors instruct for free - to give back to the sport - not give people a short-cut to a PPL and losing them as soaring members. The only reason a glider pilot should want to fly a power plane is if that power plane is fitted with a towing hook.

Clinton
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by JCA » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

Clinton01 wrote::wink: Why would anyone want to learn to fly gliders as a short-cut to a PPL? Clubs should not fall into the trap of trying to recruit new members for that purpose. Instructors instruct for free - to give back to the sport - not give people a short-cut to a PPL and losing them as soaring members. The only reason a glider pilot should want to fly a power plane is if that power plane is fitted with a towing hook.

Clinton
Because you get a reduction in the hours required for PPL. Plus it builds in skills that will improve your finesse in flying powered aircraft. Most of the glider pilots I know don't want to be tug pilots either. A lot of power pilots who progressed through gliding are still glider pilots despite the fact that many of them are ALTP's and fly big jets.
Arjan
Lining Up - unmanned

Unread post by Arjan » Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Surge wrote:
One is powered flying and the other is powerless flying so the exam questions and topics will be quite different.

Got it from the horse's mouth - You get credit for all your subjects, all you have to do extra is ATG (Aircraft Technical Gliders). So no need for any other exams...
ZU GAS ( Whisper TMG )
ZS GLH ( Astir Glider )
ZU MAS (Zenith CH640 )
ZU IMD (Wide Hawk)
Pilot Dreamer
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: FASH
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Pilot Dreamer » Thu May 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Awesome post. Thank you.
Julian
Based in Somerset West
Bergie
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Phisantekraal
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bergie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Some really great write ups on this thread, and possibly time to revive this topic...

These users liked the author Bergie for the post:
Groenie
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by Volo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Well done Bergie - gliding needs a bit of marketing - It has so much to offer to anyone who would like to broaden their experience in aviation whether you take it up as a lifestyle or simply want the experience .
Give it a try !!!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”