Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Phisantekraal
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Glidings Best kept Secret

Unread post by Bergie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Volo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 pm
Well done Bergie - gliding needs a bit of marketing - It has so much to offer to anyone who would like to broaden their experience in aviation whether you take it up as a lifestyle or simply want the experience .
Give it a try !!!
Wife wanted to arrange a surprise glider flight for me for my birthday and came across the poster - prior commitments for the date and too short notice for the budget, but can save up for the next round in 2020...
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by Volo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Bergie wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm
Volo wrote:
Well done Bergie - gliding needs a bit of marketing - It has so much to offer to anyone who would like to broaden their experience in aviation whether you take it up as a lifestyle or simply want the experience .
Give it a try !!!
Wife wanted to arrange a surprise glider flight for me for my birthday and came across the poster - prior commitments for the date and too short notice for the budget, but can save up for the next round in 2020...
Hi Bergie - I suggest you drop in at Cape Gliding club on a week -end - any week- end and ask for an introductory training flight . I am sure they will be able to accommodate you . This will give you an idea if its for you or not.
cheers Dave
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by flysouth » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 pm
Winch launch makes any fairground ride look like a nursery school picnic. :D
Yes indeed. I did about 8 hours of gliding in a Blanik in England way back when and there were only winch launches then at the Northumbria Gliding Club.

I recall that it felt like riding an Apollo rocket for NASA, straight up, lots of wind noise, exciting and fun!

Also driving the winch was interesting. it consisted of the front end of a big old Leyland bus with a big cable drum - shake rattle, roll - and roar!
Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 227 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Leyland bus. Have not heard that name in 30 years :D
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Lining Up - unmanned
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by 117 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 pm

Volo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm
Bergie wrote:
Volo wrote:
Give it a try !!!
Hi Bergie - I suggest you drop in at Cape Gliding club on a week -end - any week- end and ask for an introductory training flight . I am sure they will be able to accommodate you . This will give you an idea if its for you or not.
cheers Dave
Take some spare loot... Its not cheap for a TIF these days
flysouth
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by flysouth » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 pm
Leyland bus. Have not heard that name in 30 years :D
Who knows, they probably still use it!
Bergie
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Phisantekraal
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bergie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:17 am

117 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Volo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm
Bergie wrote:

cheers Dave
Take some spare loot... Its not cheap for a TIF these days
In the region of R2k if I understand the website correctly.
First priority now is to get my paragliding license current again (after 3 years not flying to focus on making a family)
The silence, the focus on energy management/efficiency, and closeness to nature, clouds and mountains - I do not see my long term future without a glider ride somewhere! But I also know that if (when?) I get involved, I want to commit myself, not just a once-a-month type visitor.
Lining Up - unmanned
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by 117 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am

You're better off doing it in condensed training sessions then Bergie. The TIF ride will be a waste in my opinion.

Rather join, pay the fee's, get out to the club and spend every weekend there until its done. Having prior experience will help speed things up (did mine in 4 weekends straight...)

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”