1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: New MGL product : MX1

Unread post by rainier » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:53 am

heisan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 am
But, TSO-C199 is not acceptable in this proposal, so this new device would not be an acceptable GPS under the current proposal. No idea if it will be acceptable under the final rule though.
TSO-C199 was still in draft when the proposal surfaced. I think you can take it for granted that it will be a permitted source since it is such for the currently existing FAA ADS-B network - excluding it would make little sense and technically this would be even worse since the space based system would feed into the ground based network and you would now have differing equipment levels sending out the same SDA and SIL and you would have some that may be legal and others that are not - it would break the whole SDA/SIL reason for being...

TSO-C199 is actually a very good standard and builds a wide bridge to make ADS-B affordable, yet maintain safety and accuracy without compromise.

CAA usually takes over whatever FAA says - and adds the standard to its own (calling it TSO-ZA). But who knows these days ?

BTW, if you have a Trig transponder and would like to continue using its own head you cannot use the iEFIS as qualified GPS source - that is only possible if you have the iEFIS control the transponder (i.e. no Trig head). There is however a way out: Our SP-12 GPS has the FAA certified GPS module and this is compatible with Trig's TN72 GPS module (Actually just about all manufacturers now use the same GPS module). You can use the SP-12 in place of the TN72 if you want to save a bit. The SP-12 is qualified to SIL/SDA of 2/3. That's as good as you would ever need. The iEFIS built in GPS is qualified according to the provisions of TSO-C199 to 1/1. This is good enough for the ground based ADS-B system in the U.S. and it will accept your transponders transmissions and reply with traffic, notams, metars, Nexrad Wx and all the other ADS-B uplink goodies. It is 2020 compliant as ADS-B position source.
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 pm

OK more questions, no problem:

Like all our EFIS systems the MX1 allows you to customize or even create your own screens. The MX1 comes with a couple of default screens "built-in" These screens are always in the system even if the worst happens. You cannot get rid of them. But you can override them with your own designs.

There are many levels on how you can "do" screens. All involve the MX1 screen designer and simulator. Effectively a Windows based simulation of a real MX1 (complete with simulated engines, GPS etc) - this doubles as screen design tool as well. There is a document on our website called "iEFIS alteration guide" and another one showing in quick and easy steps how to add a typical rotor/engine RPM combo instrument to a screen (it makes a good example as it is a start to finish list of things to do with lots of pictures).

The EFIS has 9 pages. You select the current page using a rotary control (you can also tell the EFIS with page to load on startup). Each page is made up of several sections. You need at least one called "Flight". This is a file. Using the screen designer you start adding items. Each item can then be custo mized. For example, say you add a "special text item". That means its text the EFIS decides what it should write. You then click on a "property editor" and tell the EFIS what the text should say. For example it might be "airspeed" or "oil temperature engine one". You then move the text to where you want it to be, give it a font and you can select some other attributes. So you carry on with many items until your screen looks the way you want it.
There are other files as well called "Engine", "Fuel" and "Info". You can guess the first two - the "Info" is a subsection of a page that the pilot can change like pages in a book. You could do all sorts with that - the Airplane factory used this to add checklists - you can use images as items so they simply made their checklists as nice looking images and added these to Info sections. Looked and worked great.

There are many ways to use this screen design system - create pages from scratch, modify exiting or even add stuff to pages without actually changing them. Once done you simply copy your newly made screen files to the "screens" folder of your real EFIS and you are done. You do this via the SD card.

You can even create a so called "dfile" system. This way you can create a vast system with many different setups and screen layouts, almost unlimited and have a simple menu function in the EFIS where the end user will select exactly what he wants to use. A smaller version of this is built in as standard - here you select from many built in engine and fuel system types (so most possible applications are catered for by default).

It's really powerful and quite easy to use - some are "scared" doing this type of thing but it is actually fun once you get the hang of it. Some of our customers have made some amazing screens - really nice. I should spend more time making screens rather than designing instruments. Perhaps one day...
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 323 times

Unread post by heisan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:27 pm

rainier wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:53 am
heisan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 am
But, TSO-C199 is not acceptable in this proposal, so this new device would not be an acceptable GPS under the current proposal. No idea if it will be acceptable under the final rule though.
TSO-C199 was still in draft when the proposal surfaced. I think you can take it for granted that it will be a permitted source since it is such for the currently existing FAA ADS-B network - excluding it would make little sense and technically this would be even worse since the space based system would feed into the ground based network and you would now have differing equipment levels sending out the same SDA and SIL and you would have some that may be legal and others that are not - it would break the whole SDA/SIL reason for being...
Perhaps I am looking at the wrong documents, but the version of TSO-C199 I have limits SDA to 1, but the FAA requires SDA>=2 for all 'transponder required' airspaces (see CFR 91.225 (a) and (b) and CFR 91.227).

EASA regs are more explicit. They simply state that TSO-C199 is not acceptable where ADS-B is a requirement...
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 584 times

Unread post by Whirly » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:45 pm

rainier,

Thanks again. I have not yet bought any of the avionics so I am open to changes/suggestions.

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:27 pm

heisan wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong documents, but the version of TSO-C199 I have limits SDA to 1, but the FAA requires SDA>=2 for all 'transponder required' airspaces (see CFR 91.225 (a) and (b) and CFR 91.227).

EASA regs are more explicit. They simply state that TSO-C199 is not acceptable where ADS-B is a requirement...
Yes that is what I was getting at - however from a practical point of view SIL/SDA works fine at this point in time. If you want 3/2 then you need our SP-12 in addition. I don't think that will change but there is a rumor going around that things will be relaxed even further as FAA is collecting a lot of statistical data thanks to TSO-C199 and it is looking rather good. Not too surprising - most commercial GPS chips run rings around their certified counterparts.
Time will tell.

EASA is a different kettle of fish. Right now they ARE accepting TSO-C199 (referred to as TABS) as acceptable source. This is in fact what most manufacturers including Trig are offering as compliant GPS source right now.
But then - it's British. And EASA may soon no longer have any say over UKCAA.
ABW
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: OBBI
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by ABW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:31 pm

Many thanks Ranier for you PM and information. Interesting insight.
You live and learn but by the time you've learnt, it's too late to live!
Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 169 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:37 pm

rainier wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 pm
OK more questions, no problem:

Like all our EFIS systems the MX1 allows you to customize or even create your own screens. The MX1 comes with a couple of default screens "built-in" These screens are always in the system even if the worst happens. You cannot get rid of them. But you can override them with your own designs.

There are many levels on how you can "do" screens. All involve the MX1 screen designer and simulator. Effectively a Windows based simulation of a real MX1 (complete with simulated engines, GPS etc) - this doubles as screen design tool as well. There is a document on our website called "iEFIS alteration guide" and another one showing in quick and easy steps how to add a typical rotor/engine RPM combo instrument to a screen (it makes a good example as it is a start to finish list of things to do with lots of pictures).

The EFIS has 9 pages. You select the current page using a rotary control (you can also tell the EFIS with page to load on startup). Each page is made up of several sections. You need at least one called "Flight". This is a file. Using the screen designer you start adding items. Each item can then be custo mized. For example, say you add a "special text item". That means its text the EFIS decides what it should write. You then click on a "property editor" and tell the EFIS what the text should say. For example it might be "airspeed" or "oil temperature engine one". You then move the text to where you want it to be, give it a font and you can select some other attributes. So you carry on with many items until your screen looks the way you want it.
There are other files as well called "Engine", "Fuel" and "Info". You can guess the first two - the "Info" is a subsection of a page that the pilot can change like pages in a book. You could do all sorts with that - the Airplane factory used this to add checklists - you can use images as items so they simply made their checklists as nice looking images and added these to Info sections. Looked and worked great.

There are many ways to use this screen design system - create pages from scratch, modify exiting or even add stuff to pages without actually changing them. Once done you simply copy your newly made screen files to the "screens" folder of your real EFIS and you are done. You do this via the SD card.

You can even create a so called "dfile" system. This way you can create a vast system with many different setups and screen layouts, almost unlimited and have a simple menu function in the EFIS where the end user will select exactly what he wants to use. A smaller version of this is built in as standard - here you select from many built in engine and fuel system types (so most possible applications are catered for by default).

It's really powerful and quite easy to use - some are "scared" doing this type of thing but it is actually fun once you get the hang of it. Some of our customers have made some amazing screens - really nice. I should spend more time making screens rather than designing instruments. Perhaps one day...
It is well worth taking the time to make your own pages. It does take time though. I have a couple of fantastic screens which do exactly what I want. Not to say the defaults are bad - they are also very useful. I’m very happy with my MGL iEFIS. 10/10 would recommend
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
KEO
Rolling
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by KEO » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm

I saw the MX1 at the MGL booth at Oshkosh last week. The brightness impressed me. I have an iEfis Lite that I am very happy with, but the MX1 appears to be a lot brighter.
Brett Williams
Whisper X-350 ZU-TCC
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 pm

KEO wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm
I saw the MX1 at the MGL booth at Oshkosh last week. The brightness impressed me. I have an iEfis Lite that I am very happy with, but the MX1 appears to be a lot brighter.
Depends a bit on the iEFIS model but generally they are very similar. Be careful judging indoors like in the hangar at Osh. The real judgement can only be done inside the aircraft under real World conditions. Screen visibility depends on several factors - brightness is only one of them and perhaps not the most important.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

rainier,

Some advice please! [-o<

If I get the MX1, what avionics (not MGL avionics) can I pair with it that I can set via the screen. Transponder with A-DSB out (Trig- which one?), Garmin VHF/Trig VHF? I also need an audio panel.

I guess no more need for any other GPS (like 196, 296 or 795)? :?

Whirly.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 am

Whirly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am
rainier,

Some advice please! [-o<

If I get the MX1, what avionics (not MGL avionics) can I pair with it that I can set via the screen. Transponder with A-DSB out (Trig- which one?), Garmin VHF/Trig VHF? I also need an audio panel.

I guess no more need for any other GPS (like 196, 296 or 795)? :?

Whirly.
Currently the Trig TT21 or TT22 with the MGL Interface (effectively the plug that plugs into the transponder body) - that allows you to use the MX1 as the control head for the transponder and it is also fully ADS-B compliant that way (not that it matters much for SA).
Other than that you can wait for MGL's T16 transponder to be released or you can fit any other mode-s transponder and use the NMEA output of the MX1 to send it the GPS info for ADS-B out. The MX1 does NOT have outputs for the old parallel Gillman code transponders but does have support for any transponder that can read the "Ikarus" altitude format on a serial data stream. That includes most older Garmin transponders.

If you use the MX1 as head for a remote transponder body - one nice thing about that is you get numeric keypad input for the squawk code - no need to fiddle with rotary controls.

There is generally no need for another GPS unless you want a portable backup or something like that. The navigation built into the MX1 is very comprehensive and easy to use (for example direct-to navigation by touching the map and many, many more ways of doing things).

Compared to our other iEFIS systems many third party devices are not supported however you can control all MGL radios as well as Garmin Radios or those from third parties that support the Garmin protocols. You can connect NAV radios as well such as the Garmin compatible VAL Nav radio, The Garmin NAV radios SL30 and GNC255 or similar and native support for MGL's very nice (and low cost) N16 NAV radio.

I also will be releasing some small converters soon that make other COM radios look like a MGL radio so they can also be connected. I will be moving that way (using small external converters) as I have been piling on support for many third party products into our systems for years and as you can imagine that adds significantly to the size of the code and also the complexity. With the MX1 I do not have the luxury of this and have to keep it manageable. The MX1 executes its code "in place" - that means there is no booting. The code is programmed into the processors own memory on the chip itself. You switch on and it is there instantly. That means the MX1 is a "instant on" EFIS. Not that MGL's boot times are slow - but now even that is gone.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm

rainier,

Thank you very much, I thought so but needed your confirmation. I did read through the MX1 manual a bit and saw the keypad for the transponder you are talking about and it sure is a nice feature.

When will your T16 Transponder be ready?

I did try one of your radios before but we could not get rid of the interference. It was in my Alo II. Once we installed a KY196A everything was normal. Will the MX1 one be able to link to the Trig TY92 (compact) Radios? :?

Whirly.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 pm
rainier,

Thank you very much, I thought so but needed your confirmation. I did read through the MX1 manual a bit and saw the keypad for the transponder you are talking about and it sure is a nice feature.

When will your T16 Transponder be ready?

I did try one of your radios before but we could not get rid of the interference. It was in my Alo II. Once we installed a KY196A everything was normal. Will the MX1 one be able to link to the Trig TY92 (compact) Radios? :?

Whirly.
I take it you did not try the V16 radio ? It's the most interference resistant COM radio available anywhere for any money. That's due to its DCR architecture and a few other measures. The old V6 and V10 radios are designed and made by the company South West electronics in Cape Town. MGL did sell them until about three years ago when we decided we needed something much better, cheaper and under our own manufacturing control.

No fixed time frame for the T16 - it's currently in second prototype stage but I have not yet applied power to it (I.e. the smoke is still inside). I put it on the back burner to get both the MX1 as well as the A16 intercom out of the door. The MX1 was shown at Oshkosh two years ago already but I had to suspend all projects due to the dilemma caused by ditching the V6 and V10 radios - I had to pull out all the stops to make a radio from scratch to replace these and at the same time wanted to try out some ideas gathered over the years (hence the V16 is completely different in the way it receives radio signals compared to anything else). Anyway the V16 is done and dusted and currently our best seller. It was quickly joined by a derivative product the N16 NAV radio. This I just had to do as I had been promising this for years. Then I had to do the A16 intercom system - the first production batch is already sitting on the shelves but I have to finish the firmware (that is happening in a few days - the MX1 got priority).
Once the A16 is out of the way I will continue with the T16. Of course the T16 also does things very differently so this is quite interesting and I can't wait to get my hands dirty with this thing.

Our current iEFIS systems can be interfaced to the TY92 but the MX1 cannot - I removed the code for this and many other third party devices to cut the clutter. However it is quite likely that the TY91/TY92 will regain support via a dedicated converter which will make them look like MGL radios.

Rainier
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:54 pm

rainier,

Thank you once again, I am learning, and leaning towards the MX1. :D

You are correct it was not the V16, but the V6 (IIRC).

Tell me more about the A16 intercom? (I need a 5 seat intercom system).

Whirly.
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 260 times

Unread post by Deanw » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Whirly, bring your bird to the Cape and let Rainier put the MX1 and all the x16 items in as a flying testbed!
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”