Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: New MGL product : MX1

Unread post by rainier » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Whirly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:54 pm
rainier,

Thank you once again, I am learning, and leaning towards the MX1. :D

You are correct it was not the V16, but the V6 (IIRC).

Tell me more about the A16 intercom? (I need a 5 seat intercom system).

Whirly.
The A16 is a two part intercom system - it has a body with the same size as a V16/N16/T16 that you can mount where the wires are and then it needs either a head or EFIS to control. It will be using the Razor 3.18" head as the Vega control is too small to be useful here. The MX1 can control the A16 so you don't need anything else in the panel.

It is a 6 place two circuit stereo intercom. It is fully digital and the microphone size has 6 independent channels each with own settings (so you can mix different headsets without trouble). The noise suppression is identical to that used in the V16 radio which has found good acceptance. It is kind of a great blend between a traditional VOX and the Vogad from the V6/V10 days but much easier to use.
It supports up to two COM radios, four inputs for things like NAV radios or EFIS, a wired stereo music source (you can also stream music via bluetooth from your phone). It can connect to your phone for voice calls (receive and make them).
Built in cockpit voice recorder.
Comes in two flavors: With or without a marker beacon receiver.

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Induna » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Deanw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Whirly, bring your bird to the Cape and let Rainier put the MX1 and all the x16 items in as a flying testbed!
That would be real-life vibration testing for the equipment.. :lol:

(Whirly I don’t mind vibrating... let me know whwn you are in the cape with the alo... =D> )
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
ZU-RHT | Magni Gyro M18 Spartan
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 584 times

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Rainier,

My offer to buy shares (made years ago) still stands! :D You can do the designing and building, I will do the selling!

It just sounds better and better. I think an audio panel also controlled by the MX1, two V16 VHF radios (no NAVs needed), a Trig transponder and I will have everything I need. Can it connect to a Garmin VIRB camera and enable it to record the audio?

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
Mrb13676
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 169 times

Unread post by Mrb13676 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 pm

I’m looking forward to the A16. Sounds like a good replacement for the PSEngineering unit I have currently.
Will it have crew isolate as well as pilot isolate? The kids get quite noisy in the back!

Mike
Mike Blackburn
ZU-IBM - Sling4 Turbo s/n 009
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:33 am

Whirly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Rainier,

My offer to buy shares (made years ago) still stands! :D You can do the designing and building, I will do the selling!

It just sounds better and better. I think an audio panel also controlled by the MX1, two V16 VHF radios (no NAVs needed), a Trig transponder and I will have everything I need. Can it connect to a Garmin VIRB camera and enable it to record the audio?

Whirly.
You tell it what to record as part of the cockpit voice recorder. The only thing excluded from the list is music.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

Mrb13676 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 pm
I’m looking forward to the A16. Sounds like a good replacement for the PSEngineering unit I have currently.
Will it have crew isolate as well as pilot isolate? The kids get quite noisy in the back!

Mike
It is a dual circuit intercom. You decide really how it's supposed to work. Typical scenario would perhaps be to assign two headsets onto the pilot circuit and the remaining onto the pax circuit. Each circuit behaves independent but they can be joined.

Essentially you can connect up to about 30 headsets to each circuit (listen only). It has six microphone channels normally used with six headsets. However if you have identical makes of headsets you can connect several onto a single microphone circuit. Two is normally not a problem but more than two depends on just how noisy your aircraft is - the noise from the microphones adds up while you only talk into one microphone so that is really the only practical limitation (i.e. noise increases while voice stays the same). Then again - if you're feeling rich you can splurge on some ANR headsets for your pax and bump up the limits.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am

Rainier,

If I do decide to rather go with two TY92 Trig radios (as they are 16W) it would be possible to later link them and control them from the MX1 once you build a dedicated converter?

What does the A16 (without marker beacons) look like or is it also just a remote box driven by the MX1?

Whirly.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am

Whirly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Rainier,

Whirly.
I do remember that.
MGL is a bit of a strange case though (mostly due to me I suppose). We are sitting a bit out of the way here in SA which does have its advantages but also a lot of disadvantages. Around 15 years ago things started taking off pretty much like the proverbial rocket for MGL and that caused a problem. We were working flat out trying to climb a hill in a fog not realizing the peak was getting higher faster than we could climb.
We (well, "I") am not a "business" orientated person at all (I have been called an "electronic hippie" once). Anyway the decision was made to keep it manageable and since that day we have not taken on any new distribution channels and are strictly limiting supply to keep things sunny side up. That does not stop me from designing new products (keeps me busy and interested). So in the SA context we don't have to worry about BEE and all that goes with it (we sell almost everything we make in other countries) - and should things go pear shaped here we can likely up and go and take MGL on a DVD or two with us.

So that should show that it is difficult to buy shares in MGL - we don't actually want to make more money as odd as that may sound to many. There have been several approaches over the years to take MGL "to the next step" which usually means "setup in the USA or Canada" by investors of one sort or another. I have looked at any offers of course (not too serious I have to add). Yes it is very true that MGL is likely operating at a tiny fraction of its potential but this is intentional. I happen to like it here in SA an as long as it remains possible (and nobody manages to change my mind) MGL stays here too and I will keep dreaming up new stuff to design and make. It's my hobby. I don't work. I just hobby hard.
These users liked the author rainier for the post (total 8):
cghellmannWhirlyUgly DucklingTaildraggerdriverJean CrousspatzBigglesSASkapie
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by richard C » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:10 am

You are clearly an exceptional human being, Rainier !!!
Grant all equity and dignity.
Monzeglio Cook + Gibson Architects
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am

Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am
Rainier,

If I do decide to rather go with two TY92 Trig radios (as they are 16W) it would be possible to later link them and control them from the MX1 once you build a dedicated converter?

What does the A16 (without marker beacons) look like or is it also just a remote box driven by the MX1?

Whirly.
The TY92 is a 28V radio (you need that kind of voltage to make a radio that can do 16W). A typical V16 radio manages to squeeze around 11-12W typically into a good antenna at our usual 13-14V. That's pretty good going.
Perhaps one day I'll make a version of the V16 that can do around 30W (During the V16 development I had one doing that just for kicks to see what was needed to blow it up - it has a hugely over-specified transmitter to keep things bullet proof. The final is rated for 35W continuous).

I cannot at the moment guarantee that I will make the promised interface (The hardware has been designed and some prototypes will be made) - it depends a bit on demand and circumstance.

The A16 looks just like a V16 except it has a DB25 connector on each side (the V16 only has one and a antenna connector on the other side).
The market beacon antenna connector is just a pin on one of the connectors - you can connect a wet noodle there - that's good enough.
You will "talk" to the A16 via the MX1 or via a Razor head (or both).
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

richard C wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:10 am
You are clearly an exceptional human being, Rainier !!!
Can I show that to Ria ? I have been telling her for years... :lol:

But seriously: No, not at all.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am

Induna wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:11 pm
Deanw wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm
Whirly, bring your bird to the Cape and let Rainier put the MX1 and all the x16 items in as a flying testbed!
That would be real-life vibration testing for the equipment.. :lol:

(Whirly I don’t mind vibrating... let me know whwn you are in the cape with the alo... =D> )
Jacques,

These are not for the one I am flying (ZU-RAH) but for the other one I am refurbishing (ZU-RAI). It is stripped down to a meccano set and we have started building her from the ground up. So once it is finished, it is at Wonderboom, we will need to fit all the avionics. She won't be able to fly without any avionics, so she won't get a fresh authority to fly, so no chance of going to Cape Town for fitment unfortunately. :(

My current machine is fitted with a KY196A VHF, KT76C Transponder, two Garmin G5 and a Garmin 795, no audio panel but an intercom system.

Whirly.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am

rainier wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am
Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am
Rainier,

Whirly.
The TY92 is a 28V radio (you need that kind of voltage to make a radio that can do 16W). A typical V16 radio manages to squeeze around 11-12W typically into a good antenna at our usual 13-14V. That's pretty good going.
Perhaps one day I'll make a version of the V16 that can do around 30W (During the V16 development I had one doing that just for kicks to see what was needed to blow it up - it has a hugely over-specified transmitter to keep things bullet proof. The final is rated for 35W continuous).

I cannot at the moment guarantee that I will make the promised interface (The hardware has been designed and some prototypes will be made) - it depends a bit on demand and circumstance.

The A16 looks just like a V16 except it has a DB25 connector on each side (the V16 only has one and a antenna connector on the other side).
The market beacon antenna connector is just a pin on one of the connectors - you can connect a wet noodle there - that's good enough.
You will "talk" to the A16 via the MX1 or via a Razor head (or both).
Rainier,

Thank you...........................I have to agree with RichardC! =D> =D>

My system in the helicopter is 28V and because we normally fly low level, I like the radios with a stronger output but it is not that crucial.

Whirly.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am
Rainier,

While I appreciate the comment - nope, you're wrong. And that's one thing I know for sure.
My system in the helicopter is 28V and because we normally fly low level, I like the radios with a stronger output but it is not that crucial.

Whirly.
Well, the trouble with power: To double the range you need four times the power. This is an uncomfortable truth. Works just like ripples in pond. Throw in a stone and watch how rapidly the height of the ripples decreases. Now throw in a similar sized object with double the weight. Note how the ripples don't go much further. Once it's four times as heavy the ripples go twice as far. It's simplified here but that's the bottom line.

Same with transmitters.

But there is a way out: In most cases little effort is spent on the antenna and nobody has a clue what this vital link in the equation does. If you want range: spend ALL your effort on the antenna. You'd be surprised how far just 1W can go if it can actually radiate effectively. As added bonus it makes your receiver much better as well. A well tuned antenna means less sensitivity to out of band interference (as the antenna acts as band filter) and more signal in the band that gets to your receiver.

Just upping the power does not help your receiver and if things don't radiate - the power usually creates havoc with your electronics. It does not just go away silently.
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 120 times

Unread post by Induna » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:14 pm

rainier wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Whirly wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am
Rainier,

While I appreciate the comment - nope, you're wrong. And that's one thing I know for sure.

Whirly.
Well, the trouble with power: To double the range you need four times the power. This is an uncomfortable truth. Works just like ripples in pond. Throw in a stone and watch how rapidly the height of the ripples decreases. Now throw in a similar sized object with double the weight. Note how the ripples don't go much further. Once it's four times as heavy the ripples go twice as far. It's simplified here but that's the bottom line.

Same with transmitters.

But there is a way out: In most cases little effort is spent on the antenna and nobody has a clue what this vital link in the equation does. If you want range: spend ALL your effort on the antenna. You'd be surprised how far just 1W can go if it can actually radiate effectively. As added bonus it makes your receiver much better as well. A well tuned antenna means less sensitivity to out of band interference (as the antenna acts as band filter) and more signal in the band that gets to your receiver.

Just upping the power does not help your receiver and if things don't radiate - the power usually creates havoc with your electronics. It does not just go away silently.
I agree. I see a lot of people installing a R200 Midas antenna and most are having issues radios.

I made peace with the price of a Rami or Comant.

I once was on my way from Loeriesfontein to Saldanha. When entering the FAR 45 Langebaanweg asked me to relay a radio conversation to an aircraft close to Bokpunt, which could not hear ATC. I had a MGL V6 radio and Comant antenna installed... the conversation was crystal clear...
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
ZU-RHT | Magni Gyro M18 Spartan

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”