kayliegh.adrianne
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 4 times

Should I pursue a career in aviation

Unread post by kayliegh.adrianne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your advice on becoming a pilot at 28 years old.

I have always wanted to pursue aviation as a career but did not have the financial means to do so. I ended up studying finance as it was a lot cheaper to obtain my qualifications in finance compared to obtaining my pilots licenses and the hour building I would need.

I am highly qualified in finance and have a great job with a bright future but I do not find it satisfying and I am considering a career change.

However, it will be a huge investment to become a pilot as well as the pay cut whilst I build my hours. I am willing to make the sacrifice short term for the long term benefit of doing a job I will enjoy. It is a risk though, so I proceed or do I find a way to make finance enjoyable?

Please could you let me know your thoughts on future opportunities as a pilot? As well as career satisfaction and earning potential?

I am hoping it will be a job that will pay as well if not better than finance, allow me to emigrate, travel and have a sense of accomplishment and making a difference.

I would really appreciate your advice!

Thank you and happy landings
RGB
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Should I pursue a career in aviation

Unread post by RGB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi

Have to say if you try to rationalise it and justify going through all of it, the continual studying ,training being assessed ,the money you have to spend to get anywhere in aviation, the time spent in places like Afghanistan,Nigeria etc and the likes to get some hours so an underpaying airline will consider you for the position of junior F/O ie 100 hours a month never stepping off the aircraft at any fun or exciting destination just to spend nights away from friends and family and forget what weekends with friends feels like then it just does not make sense. I could go on and on about all the negatives you are going to get.

BUT..... if you wake up in the morning and all you want to do is go and have an early breakfast at the local airport just so you can catch a glimpse of the GA planes heading of on an adventure ,you would be crazy to not throw everything at your passion. I am still waiting for all the money and travel "perks" from 18 years of flying and I don't think it is coming but it has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done and it still gets be going everyday.

Do it!!!!
These users liked the author RGB for the post (total 2):
Duffkayliegh.adrianne
kayliegh.adrianne
Flight Planning

Unread post by kayliegh.adrianne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi RGB,

Thank you for your reply

Have had a rough day at the office and all I wanted to do was go to the airport and watch the planes which is similar to your breakfast example :)

Will keep you updated!
These users liked the author kayliegh.adrianne for the post:
RGB
Wilco
Rolling
Closest Airfield: LAX soon to be DFW
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Wilco » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm

My advice, see if you can get a First Class medical.

Then, get your PPL; while working full time.

Once you have your PPL, then figure if you want to go all in. DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU GET YOUR PPL.

Good luck!
These users liked the author Wilco for the post (total 9):
FranswRay WFlooiJean Crouskayliegh.adriannejesse747Slickrichard Ccsparksfly
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Wilco wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm
My advice, see if you can get a First Class medical.

Then, get your PPL; while working full time.

Once you have your PPL, then figure if you want to go all in. DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB UNTIL YOU GET YOUR PPL.

Good luck!
Best advice!
These users liked the author Fransw for the post (total 2):
V1Rkayliegh.adrianne
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Not saying this is appropriate for the OP but sometimes I've wondered if you have to ask do you have the "passion"? Do you really want to "fly"? If there is nothing else you want to do in this world except fly why are you asking?
These users liked the author Jack Welles for the post:
pwnel
Jack Welles (thriller_author pen name)
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Welles/e/B073VJQTTX
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Textbook - "The Lore of Negotiation"
http://www.loreofnegotiation.com
pwnel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KTEB
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by pwnel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Jack Welles wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm
Not saying this is appropriate for the OP but sometimes I've wondered if you have to ask do you have the "passion"? Do you really want to "fly"? If there is nothing else you want to do in this world except fly why are you asking?
Yup, can't imagine Elon Musk ever hung out on entrepreneur forums asking whether he should pursue his dream of payments/electric cars/rockets.

Same goes for all those folks on 123.45 talking about emigration - the ones who wanted to leave have left long ago without seeking affirmation on Avcom.
These users liked the author pwnel for the post:
Multirotordronepilot
FAA ASEL COM (IF), MCSA SAR member, flies out of FACT, KBLM (Monmouth Exec, NJ - USA).
Mooney 231
Wilco
Rolling
Closest Airfield: LAX soon to be DFW
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Wilco » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 pm

The OP asked for the pros and cons of leaving her career to pursue aviation on an aviation forum...life changing decisions...smart questions to ask.

Instead of friendly PIREPs and advice we have some here questioning why people would post such questions. Because the logic is: one is not 100% committed to follow their dreams if they have to ask such questions.

To the OP, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I will give you the good, the bad, and the awesome of this career from the perspective of a US3 pilot.
Last edited by Wilco on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author Wilco for the post:
kayliegh.adrianne
Swartbok
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by Swartbok » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Yeah, pretty much spot on from RGB and Wilco, you’ll hate it and love it at the same time.
I’ll just suggest to change one thing, don’t quit your job until you have your CPL (Commercial Pilot’s license) and save as much money as you can now to help ease those tough years, (for some it’s many, for others it’s not so many), but in my opinion in the beginning you’ll thoroughly enjoy the flying, after 20 years when the enjoyment has subsided a bit (not stopped) the money will make up for it.

Keep the interest and contacts in finance, it may serve you well later.

If your career works out well in aviation you’ll never need it, but a backup is always nice.
These users liked the author Swartbok for the post (total 5):
WilcoJean CrousRGBkayliegh.adrianneSlick
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.
kayliegh.adrianne
Flight Planning

Unread post by kayliegh.adrianne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:05 pm

@pwnel

This may be my first post but that doesn’t mean I haven’t spent hours researching and reading forums.

Do not make assumptions on the situation, my boyfriend was a flight instructor until he recently left for an airline and I have spent weekends in ground school class and in the air with him observing. This is where I decided this could be a possibility for me too. Unfortunately, I am not comfortable discussing this with him as he does not seem interested in me making a career change so I wanted some unbiased, third party opinions. I have purchased Jim Davis PPL book to go through and see if I have the aptitude to understand the basics of aviation and have been learning what I can online thus far.

I’m an all or nothing person so when I commit and go for it, I am in for at least a R480k cost commitment amongst other financial commitments I currently have. However, I will heed the advice of those who were kind in their replies and I agree with the advice to obtain my licenses before leaving my job. Yes passion is important, but there are many other factors to consider as passion cannot pay my bills.

I have respect for those who have been able to achieve success in the aviation industry hence asking for the input.

Not sure why people take the time to post comments like yours but thanks for your time anyway.
Last edited by kayliegh.adrianne on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author kayliegh.adrianne for the post (total 3):
FranswWilcoScrapyard Dog
Jumbo2016
Flight Planning
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Jumbo2016 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 pm

Go for it! I was 27, no regrets! Been flying since 2009 and in a great airline for the last 6 years and enjoyed the road getting here! PM me if you want some tips and advice as well, will be happy to share.
These users liked the author Jumbo2016 for the post:
kayliegh.adrianne
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 pm

Just go with your gut and have no regrets. I have had two super careers in aviation and life has been good, sometimes you have to start over to quench your curiosity but you don't want to end up at the end of your career wishing you would've done things that you did not do. As far as having something to fall back on - the amount of time I have heard that advice, well not always the best advice is all I can say. IE don't waste energy on things you have no intent on pursuing.
These users liked the author ACE MAN for the post:
kayliegh.adrianne
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
JCA
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Krugersdorp
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by JCA » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Simple Answer. YES!!! Adhere to the NIKE Slogan, Just do It!
These users liked the author JCA for the post:
kayliegh.adrianne
Airwayfreak
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 am

kayliegh.adrianne wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:05 pm
@pwnel

This may be my first post but that doesn’t mean I haven’t spent hours researching and reading forums.

Do not make assumptions on the situation, my boyfriend was a flight instructor until he recently left for an airline and I have spent weekends in ground school class and in the air with him observing. This is where I decided this could be a possibility for me too. Unfortunately, I am not comfortable discussing this with him as he does not seem interested in me making a career change so I wanted some unbiased, third party opinions. I have purchased Jim Davis PPL book to go through and see if I have the aptitude to understand the basics of aviation and have been learning what I can online thus far.

I’m an all or nothing person so when I commit and go for it, I am in for at least a R480k cost commitment amongst other financial commitments I currently have. However, I will heed the advice of those who were kind in their replies and I agree with the advice to obtain my licenses before leaving my job. Yes passion is important, but there are many other factors to consider as passion cannot pay my bills.

I have respect for those who have been able to achieve success in the aviation industry hence asking for the input.

Not sure why people take the time to post comments like yours but thanks for your time anyway.
Kayleigh, ignore the grumpy old men and just go NIKE. No need to explain yourself to anybody. You seem to have it covered
ABW
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: OBBI
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by ABW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 am

Do your articles and get the best CA qualifications possible. Emigrate on those and look for a wealthy individual/Corporation with an Aviation department. Begin by saving them thousands. Once you have there trust they will fund your flying and provide you a career as a Corporate pilot. Provided you have the right boss/owner you will be cared for for life. Good luck and go get.
These users liked the author ABW for the post (total 2):
C Africapaulw
You live and learn but by the time you've learnt, it's too late to live!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”