Too Tousand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Should I pursue a career in aviation

Unread post by Walter105 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 pm

kayliegh.adrianne wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm
Hi all,

I would like to ask for your advice on becoming a pilot at 28 years old.

I have always wanted to pursue aviation as a career but did not have the financial means to do so. I ended up studying finance as it was a lot cheaper to obtain my qualifications in finance compared to obtaining my pilots licenses and the hour building I would need.

I am highly qualified in finance and have a great job with a bright future but I do not find it satisfying and I am considering a career change.

However, it will be a huge investment to become a pilot as well as the pay cut whilst I build my hours. I am willing to make the sacrifice short term for the long term benefit of doing a job I will enjoy. It is a risk though, so I proceed or do I find a way to make finance enjoyable?

Please could you let me know your thoughts on future opportunities as a pilot? As well as career satisfaction and earning potential?

I am hoping it will be a job that will pay as well if not better than finance, allow me to emigrate, travel and have a sense of accomplishment and making a difference.

I would really appreciate your advice!

Thank you and happy landings
I had essentially the same dilemma at 28 and I chose to not make the change. Now I'm almost 37 and really regretting that I did not pursue that aviation career.

I have worked corporate jobs in finance and burned the candle at both ends pushing 18 hour workdays sometimes. But I don't get nearly the same satisfaction from building new excel models or solving business problems with my finance knowledge as I do from just watching airplanes come and go at my local airport or standing next to a Harvard or a Alouette or any manner of other machines when they start up.

I get goose bumps when a fast jet goes by and I smile when I see a student nail a landing after struggling on the previous two or three touch and goes.

I enjoy chatting on aviation forums and reading aviation related content much more than reading or participating in any LinkedIn finance group.

At 28 you are young still. Go for it! Leverage the money and stability that the finance job brings and get your CPL. Figure the rest out from there.

If you are not passionate about it it is not worth doing.

If I could turn back time I'd follow my own advice...I might even still...but it gets more difficult once you have school bills and a bond to pay...
These users liked the author Walter105 for the post (total 2):
kayliegh.adrianneSandPiper
The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm.
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 77 times

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:37 pm

K.a. Can you "internationalize" your CA qualification?
fgerber
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Virginia Airport
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by fgerber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:26 am

I am 41 now and still contemplating doing my CPL, but with 2 kids it is difficult.
You are still young, go for it like Walter said!! If I could turn back time to 28, I would have as well.

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”