Bush flying trip 2020

Aviation chatter - For ALL Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
EthelWolf
Flight Planning
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: LFMT
Location: Montpellier
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by EthelWolf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi guys !

Just signed in following my chief pilot advise. I'm planning something and looking for tips here if maybe you can help. :)

A colleague and myself are planning to go on a trip starting from Pretoria, followed by Kruger National Park, up to Victoria falls, Okavango Delta then back to Pretoria through Bostwana again. It would take place in April - May 2020.

From what I can plan at the moment on Skyvector it would be about 15 hours at 110kts GS. (Planning on a C172 or equivalent)

We are looking to rent 2 planes (or LSA) for about 2 weeks to do this trip.
We are both professional pilots working in Africa flying PC6 & PC12. I'm at 4200h and my colleague at about 3800h.

At the moment we had a few contacts but some are either requiring a guide (we don't want that) or are charging us way too much.

So if you know anyone who would be happy to rent us some planes that would be awesome.
Also, I will obviously dig on the forum but if you know some "must see" places along our flight path I'm all ears ! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance ! :D
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10063
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 302 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by cage » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Be sure to research where you can and can't fly wrt to national parks, especially Kruger, else you may spend more of your trip touring police stations ;)
User avatar
krjockey
Argument with Heli Pilot.
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm
Closest Airfield: Matsapha
Location: Swaziland
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by krjockey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Have you made contact with marcus_m2 on this forum yet, if not that would be a good place to start
User avatar
EthelWolf
Flight Planning
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: LFMT
Location: Montpellier
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by EthelWolf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm

krjockey wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 pm
Have you made contact with marcus_m2 on this forum yet, if not that would be a good place to start
Is that Marcus from BushPilot Adventures?
cage wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm
Be sure to research where you can and can't fly wrt to national parks, especially Kruger, else you may spend more of your trip touring police stations ;)
Yeah, that wouldn't be that fun :smt108
User avatar
krjockey
Argument with Heli Pilot.
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 pm
Closest Airfield: Matsapha
Location: Swaziland
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by krjockey » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm

EthelWolf wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm
krjockey wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 pm
Have you made contact with marcus_m2 on this forum yet, if not that would be a good place to start
Is that Marcus from BushPilot Adventures?
cage wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm
Be sure to research where you can and can't fly wrt to national parks, especially Kruger, else you may spend more of your trip touring police stations ;)
Yeah, that wouldn't be that fun :smt108
yes
User avatar
Orthin Opter
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 pm
Closest Airfield: Tranquility
Location: Back of the moon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by Orthin Opter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:23 pm

EthelWolf wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Hi guys !

Just signed in following my chief pilot advise. I'm planning something and looking for tips here if maybe you can help. :)

A colleague and myself are planning to go on a trip starting from Pretoria, followed by Kruger National Park, up to Victoria falls, Okavango Delta then back to Pretoria through Bostwana again. It would take place in April - May 2020.

From what I can plan at the moment on Skyvector it would be about 15 hours at 110kts GS. (Planning on a C172 or equivalent)

We are looking to rent 2 planes (or LSA) for about 2 weeks to do this trip.
We are both professional pilots working in Africa flying PC6 & PC12. I'm at 4200h and my colleague at about 3800h.

At the moment we had a few contacts but some are either requiring a guide (we don't want that) or are charging us way too much.

So if you know anyone who would be happy to rent us some planes that would be awesome.
Also, I will obviously dig on the forum but if you know some "must see" places along our flight path I'm all ears ! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance ! :D
OK. So you have someone allegedly based in France but flying in Africa and they need advice, sounds Nigerian to me. Proceed carefully...
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." George Bernard Shaw.

"The main vice of capitalism is the uneven distribution of prosperity.
The main vice of socialism is the even distribution of misery." Winston Churchill.
CWS
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by CWS » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Orthin Opter wrote
[/quote]
OK. So you have someone allegedly based in France but flying in Africa and they need advice, sounds Nigerian to me. Proceed carefully...
[/quote]

Please explain how and why you came to that conclusion. To me your comment comes over as absurd.
User avatar
EthelWolf
Flight Planning
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: LFMT
Location: Montpellier
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by EthelWolf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm

CWS wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Please explain how and why you came to that conclusion. To me your comment comes over as absurd.
He probably never heard of people working rotations :roll:
krjockey wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm
yes
Okay yeah we talked by email already. Thanks anyway :wink:
User avatar
Orthin Opter
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 4:35 pm
Closest Airfield: Tranquility
Location: Back of the moon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by Orthin Opter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:57 pm

CWS wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Orthin Opter wrote
OK. So you have someone allegedly based in France but flying in Africa and they need advice, sounds Nigerian to me. Proceed carefully...
[/quote]

Please explain how and why you came to that conclusion. To me your comment comes over as absurd.
[/quote]
Eish CWS do I really need to explain? Look at the persons record. First post. Nearest airport in France. "Just signed in following my chief pilot advise." There is a grammar error there, but let us say he is French and not Nigerian. All I said was : Proceed with caution.
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." George Bernard Shaw.

"The main vice of capitalism is the uneven distribution of prosperity.
The main vice of socialism is the even distribution of misery." Winston Churchill.
User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7542
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by Roger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Where you based presently EthelWolf?
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
EthelWolf
Flight Planning
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: LFMT
Location: Montpellier
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by EthelWolf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Roger wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Where you based presently EthelWolf?
Born and raised in Montpellier, France.
Working rotations in Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso.

If you have other questions as a Moderator shoot me a PM as I would rather not give details to a guy thinking I'm Nigerian..
User avatar
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7542
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:46 pm
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Location: Port Elizabeth
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by Roger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks EthelWolf. Please forgive some of the skepticism, we have been hit with a number of fake profiles lately with scamsters.

Hope you come right with the information you are looking for. If you ever get a few spare moments, pen a post on what the flying is like up that way. Not sure we have had many posting from that part of Africa. :D
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 am

Bonjour EW, Bonvenue ici!

Try www.airplanefactory.co.za they rent out the very popular Sling4 and 2 at good rates..

Many South Africans in Montpellier, not to mention the rugby team. With Handre Pollard the latest South African addition to the team. :D Love to watch French rugby!

Cheers
(Nothing wrong with the Nigerians BTW.. :) )
User avatar
EthelWolf
Flight Planning
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Closest Airfield: LFMT
Location: Montpellier
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Bush flying trip 2020

Unread post by EthelWolf » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey Fransw!

Thanks a lot for that that's really helfull I'll contact them asap. =D> :mrgreen:

Yeah indeed we used to go see the du Plessis brothers play with my father. Won't be as fun to see them play against us at the world cup :lol:

Thanks again for the website, take care!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”