10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Unknown
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 112 times

Re: Airport ILS calibration

Unread post by Snitch » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 pm

Rand to Sun City, then Mafikeng and on to Upington today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:38 am

Upington to VOR AGV then Alexander Bay and returning to Upington today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southside
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 191 times

Unread post by southside » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:31 pm

These guys are flying their tits off.
CrazyC
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by CrazyC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm

I read the above post by "volo" regarding the awarding of the calibrations tender with amusement. I think it's important to always play the ball and not the man.
For starters- the individual you speak about has been part of the SACAA calibrations team for years prior to the whole affirmative action era. Now I am by no means associated with the individual you speak of and there is no doubt as to who he is as it is public knowledge for all who seek it who the individual actually is. I am not an advocate for that individual nor am I against him. I have no interest in his alleged dubious past or alleged dubious scams. What I do know is that despite the dubious aviation schemes you speak of- it has never been proven that his activities were illegal and or ill intentioned.

An intelligent and impartial person will look at:
a) does the individual concerned have the necessary experience to complete the job? I believe he does
b) Is the individual concerned competent to complete the task both safely and efficiently? I believe he does
c) what is the individuals safety record? I believe it is impeccable

Frankly as a pilot- I couldn't give a stuffing about anything else. When I am flying all I want is the peace of mind that the beacons are calibrated to a high standard by a competent individual. His past, opinions especially unfounded ones and unproven are of little significance in light of the above which I believe is a priority.

I may even agree with your unsavoury accusations/ or not- but that has no bearing on the safety of crew and passengers.

Play the ball and not the man.

As an aside- The individual was never part of any affirmative action policies to gain the experience and knowledge which he possesses.
When it comes to aviation - and this is completely unrelated to business ethic, I have never met an individual with more knowledge, expertise, competence and impartiality as the individual you speak of. Regardless of his reputation- there is no detractor of his to date and I may very well be one of his detractors that I have ever heard that could cast a shadow over his competence.
Furthermore- I wonder if you are aware that the gentleman you speak of was part of the SACAA calibrations team and was trained by our best since the dark days of Apartheid? I wonder if you are aware that the SACAA employed this very individual to train their own crew who were permanent staff. I wonder if you are aware that the entire calibrations team at the SACAA had and still has huge respect and confidence in the competence of the individual you speak of? I wonder if you are aware that the individual you speak of probably features in the top most experienced calibrations crew in the country? Has far better knowledge of the nitty gritties of South African conditions and terrain then any other foreign crew? Obviously not.

Im not a fan of the man by any means. I'm a fan of his competence. Play the ball- not the man. In aviation-this is of utmost importance. Id rather fly with a man I hate that is competent than with a man I love that is incompetent.

Furthermore- from all the comments on this post with the associated nav tracks and data- it seems to me as if the company who holds the tender is doing a pretty fantastic job in getting the job done.

Its funny how some people claim to want the best man for the job but if the best man for the job does not fit their spec in terms of personality or reputation- they go back on their own principles..
And from all the data provided- its obvious the comments from Volo are pretty unfounded as the job seems to be getting done pretty efficiently judging by most of the Avcomers comments. Looks like a case of sour grapes to me...
These users liked the author CrazyC for the post:
kudu177
Vogoff
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FASY
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Vogoff » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:53 pm

CrazyC wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm
And from all the data provided- its obvious the comments from Volo are pretty unfounded as the job seems to be getting done pretty efficiently judging by most of the Avcomers comments. Looks like a case of sour grapes to me...
Not necessarily. Anyone who follows the news would have good reason to be concerned.

In South African we currently have a big issue with "rent seekers" - someone who will insert themselves in the procurement process and take a big cut while adding no value.

The company doing the job efficiently could be a subcontractor receiving only a portion of the total tender amount.

Not saying that is the case here, just that we need to be careful to distinguish between who is doing the work and who is getting paid for the work. Subcontracting is also not an issue by itself. For example if the company that won the tender is responsible for accommodation, organising visas and dealing with the rest of the bureaucracy then they are adding value - hopefully in line with the percentage they are taking for themselves.
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 276 times

Unread post by Volo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm

CrazyC- I have copied your inference below that the post and opinion were mine . Read my post again and you will note that I copied a facebook page - none of it was my opinion .
I read the above post by "volo" regarding the awarding of the calibrations tender with amusement. I think it's important to always play the ball and not the man.
For starters- the individual you speak about has been part of the SACAA calibrations team for years prior to the whole affirmative action era. Now I am by no means associated with the individual you speak of and there is no doubt as to who he is as it is public knowledge for all who seek it who the individual actually is. I am not an advocate for that individual nor am I against him. I have no interest in his alleged dubious past or alleged dubious scams. What I do know is that despite the dubious aviation schemes you speak of- it has never been proven that his activities were illegal and or ill intentioned.
kudu177
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by kudu177 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:21 pm

And meanwhile in Switzerland, they are working on using drones for calibration work. Which would seem to be the logical way to go, at least in the long term.

From the article:

"With the aim of developing alternative calibration solutions that are less disruptive, in particular, to locals, experimental drone flights will be conducted alongside the twin-engine aircraft flights in 2020."

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Geneve-Aerop ... roche-2020

And more here on using drones for calibration.

https://tsuru.su/en/2018/08/01/kursir/

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/anconf13/ ... 200_en.pdf
I thought I was bored for a minute, but I was wrong
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Upington to Bloemfontein via SSV (Sishen) and KYV(Kimberley) today
sweptwing
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by sweptwing » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 pm

kudu177 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:21 pm
And meanwhile in Switzerland, they are working on using drones for calibration work. Which would seem to be the logical way to go, at least in the long term.

From the article:

"With the aim of developing alternative calibration solutions that are less disruptive, in particular, to locals, experimental drone flights will be conducted alongside the twin-engine aircraft flights in 2020."

They would need a King Air to fly the drone team around to get the job done at this pace and even then it would take longer.

Ironic
These users liked the author sweptwing for the post (total 3):
kudu177ACE MANrare bird
“For each of them, the most important thing in living was to reach out and touch perfection in that which they most love to do, and that was to fly.” Richard Bach
kudu177
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by kudu177 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:06 pm

sweptwing wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 pm
kudu177 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:21 pm

From the article:

They would need a King Air to fly the drone team around to get the job done at this pace and even then it would take longer.

Ironic
Classic chirp. :lol: :lol:

Unless, of course, each major airport had its own calibration drone.
These users liked the author kudu177 for the post:
sweptwing
I thought I was bored for a minute, but I was wrong
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:55 pm

Bloemfontein to VWV (Victoria West) to VMV (Welkom) and back to Bloemfontein today
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Bloemfontein to PVV (Phillpstown) to HMV (Hofmeyr) to Port Elizabeth today
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 884 times
Been liked: 305 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Fixing the 08 ILS
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Snitch
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Snitch » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:11 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:01 pm
Fixing the 08 ILS
Must have been a problem, as they did PE already on 14 September

Todays flight and 14 September below:
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 884 times
Been liked: 305 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Like I said “Fixing” :) I believe the GP needed to be bent straight.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”