EDP
Rotating
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Airport ILS calibration

Unread post by EDP » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 am

jimdavis wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:53 am
I wonder what they were doing for ten days after their last calibration. Let's hope they got paid.

jim
I have no doubt that they would have been paid Jim. They would have been paid handsomely, while the local companies that could have done the task for a lot less sit wistfully and watch their lunch being eaten.
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 884 times
Been liked: 305 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

EDP wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:13 am
jimdavis wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:53 am
I wonder what they were doing for ten days after their last calibration. Let's hope they got paid.

jim
I have no doubt that they would have been paid Jim. They would have been paid handsomely, while the local companies that could have done the task for a lot less sit wistfully and watch their lunch being eaten.
I do not believe there are any companies in SA that are setup with the testing and aircraft equipment - there may be pilots that are previously experienced in doing it but no planes equipped. The Drone option is not viable either as an option at this stage.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
wesleyVezasie
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by wesleyVezasie » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am

There are South African companies with the aircraft equipment
Volo
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 276 times

Unread post by Volo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:29 am

I have a question about how they the calibrators fly those DME arcs - I am presuming it cant be done by autopilot ??
Helicopter getting close
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by 117 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 am

Volo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:29 am
I have a question about how they the calibrators fly those DME arcs - I am presuming it cant be done by autopilot ??
With a paper map and a stopwatch Dave... :wink:
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm

wesleyVezasie wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am
Let me know which airframes have the calibration equipment that this BE350 or even our old C550 (ZS-CAR) has - I do not believe there is one in SA.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 313 times

Unread post by GL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm
wesleyVezasie wrote:
Let me know which airframes have the calibration equipment that this BE350 or even our old C550 (ZS-CAR) has - I do not believe there is one in SA.
I agree - but one of the local bidders was confident they could have got the plane and the equipment operational in SA within 3 months and not the 7 it took the CAA to get in the Ukrainians.
These users liked the author GL for the post (total 2):
Ray WACE MAN
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:17 pm

GL wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 pm
ACE MAN wrote:
wesleyVezasie wrote:
I agree - but one of the local bidders was confident they could have got the plane and the equipment operational in SA within 3 months and not the 7 it took the CAA to get in the Ukrainians.
I agree and am just stressing the point that you can’t just jump in a King Air with a laptop and do calibrations . It is way more complex.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
EDP
Rotating
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by EDP » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 am

ACE MAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:17 pm
GL wrote:
ACE MAN wrote:

I agree and am just stressing the point that you can’t just jump in a King Air with a laptop and do calibrations . It is way more complex.
There is a SA based company that has a King Air fitted with all the required antenna (calibrated, ready to go). They have done initial and recurrent calibration flying. The company uses the services of a UK based calibration company to do the calibration. Their own application to be registered for calibration services in SA has been lying on a desk at SACAA FOR FIVE YEARS!

But, they do not fit the required demographics......
These users liked the author EDP for the post:
ACE MAN
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:47 am

EDP wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 am
ACE MAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:17 pm
GL wrote:

There is a SA based company that has a King Air fitted with all the required antenna (calibrated, ready to go). They have done initial and recurrent calibration flying. The company uses the services of a UK based calibration company to do the calibration. Their own application to be registered for calibration services in SA has been lying on a desk at SACAA FOR FIVE YEARS!

But, they do not fit the required demographics......
I hear you and it sounds similar to the abandoned efforts of a medivac crowd that tried to get approval from the CAA for their medivac LR55 or 60's and after lots of cash and many years they just gave up and moved off shore. I must say in my ATC experience and what I have seen around the world is that the calibration aircraft are high in demand and are in continuous use as dedicated calibration aircraft and never used as part time calibration and part time charter as to the aircraft you may refer to sitting at Lanseria.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
AnAV8R
HASSELL checks
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by AnAV8R » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:03 am

If I'm correct, is this not ZS-TAE, first aircraft landing at St Helena airport...and doing their calibration tests :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am

AnAV8R wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:03 am
If I'm correct, is this not ZS-TAE, first aircraft landing at St Helena airport...and doing their calibration tests :?:
Correct , but is it a dedicated equipped and crewed for calibration or is it a charter aircraft?
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Only
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Only » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 am

ACE MAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am
AnAV8R wrote:
Correct , but is it a dedicated equipped and crewed for calibration or is it a charter aircraft?
Does it matter? If it is charter aircraft they could've required it for calibration. This proof to me that there is a South African company that could've done it a year ago.

My question is, did this company saw opportunity and loaded the price so much that it was better to get a foreign operator in.
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Only wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 am
ACE MAN wrote:
AnAV8R wrote:
Does it matter? If it is charter aircraft they could've required it for calibration. This proof to me that there is a South African company that could've done it a year ago.

My question is, did this company saw opportunity and loaded the price so much that it was better to get a foreign operator in.
It matters in the same way as you don't go to an obstetrician to have a tooth pulled - It is a little more complicated doing simultaneous opposite direction approaches at say FAOR to a parallel runway - which I am sure the said operator would be approved for . But Yes if the company in SA is serious they should have been dedicated to be a sole calibration service provider as is the practice in most of the real world.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
ACE MAN
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Only wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 am
ACE MAN wrote:
AnAV8R wrote:

It would be interesting if they priced themselves outside the market - in typical SA fashion I am sure someone would be looking for palms to be well greased in a tender.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”