Mauler
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Vans
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: MOGAS IN LYCOMING 360 IO 3601B6D

Unread post by Mauler » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 pm

I hear you, chedberg. But it seems Lycoming and Mr McHardy need a bloody decoder to unscramble the mixed signals. From Wikipedia:
In June 2010 Lycoming Engines indicated their opposition to 94UL. Company General Manager Michael Kraft stated that aircraft owners do not realize how much performance would be lost with 94UL and characterized the decision to pursue 94UL as a mistake that could cost the aviation industry billions in lost business. Lycoming believes that the industry should be pursuing 100UL instead.
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 am

The post above - absolutely Mauler.

Calle - Petersens and EAA commenced their testing in 1964 and demonstrated that 89.5 AKI provided the calorific value for safe performance, allowing the motor to deliver the stated HP no matter the HP rating of the engine being tested. The FAA said they wanted a safety margin and stated that their requirement was that the higher compression motors was to use 91AKI - despite having demonstrated over 150 Hrs of testing on a myriad of engines that 89.5 AKI provided sufficient octane to provide the performance as specified by the manufacturers. The lower compression motors - no issues.

When I heard (like you) that engine manufacturers endorsed 94 Octane, I was curious as to why that "number"and not an octane we could "all touch" and source around the corner and thereby remove an obstacle which would facilitate their "survival".

Fortunately there are FAA approved STCs which allow us to use Mogas in most low compression motors.

I have handed in a data pack (thesis) to CAA in the hope they will accept our 90 AKI fuels exceeds the testing formula of 89.5 AKI and allow us here in SA to use our ethanol free fuels in high compression motors. I await their feedback.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Calle_Hedberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Calle_Hedberg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:48 am

Hi,

Mauler - I hadn't seen that statement from M Kraft (and Adrian was constantly referring to him during his presentation!!), but I completely agree that they need to get their ducks in a row. If they change their minds - and that is allowed, obviously - they should clearly say so and thus make it clear that their position has changed.

Horace - if you have real-world test results that show 89.5 AKI being sufficient, it is great (and it fits with what I've heard from pilots flying on SA mogas). Whether the CAA has the back-bone to take a clear-cut decision given the confusing signals from the aircraft manufacturers remains to be seen, but Lycoming accepting mogas for all engines up to 260hp/8.5:1 compression is likely to assist in that regard.

Regards
calle
Flying troll...
pharma
Tripped over wheel chock
Been liked: 0

Unread post by pharma » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 am

The lycoming is in Cessna Cardinal 177RG 1975.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 116 times

Unread post by Whirly » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:35 pm

pharma wrote:The lycoming is in Cessna Cardinal 177RG 1975.
I was told the RG and FG Cardinals will (probably) never be approved. They have not been test flown and won't be, no reasons given but I think it's a numbers game. :(

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
pharma
Tripped over wheel chock
Been liked: 0

Unread post by pharma » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

thanks Whirly, so it is not a safety issue, but rather a bean counter desision.....
TinTin
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time

MOGAS IN LYCOMING ENGINES

Unread post by TinTin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi folks,

So almost a decade after this thread was started what is the latest with regards to the use of South African mogas in Lycoming engines?

Does anyone have specific gen on the quality of the fuels available from our local fuel stations and are there any issues with the insurers in using say 95 unleaded in the IO360?

Are there any success stories and significant fleet hours being flown?

Tin
Jonathan Davis
"negative ghostrider the pattern is full"
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 am

Certified platform? If so - which airframe?

NTCA - I hope that during the build, bends of the fuel lines were "gentle" and that cooling of the fuel lines or their insulation from heat taken into account.

Use fuel from a station that has a high turnover of fuel to ensure freshness of blend. (That shouldn't be a problem at all in SA).

Octane can evaporate. Buy your fuel and use it. Don't let it stand for weeks / months. Use a Jerry Can and earth it.

In answer specifically to your question - Shell, Caltex, BP and Engen are my preferred suppliers - not in order of preference. (Diesel - SASOL :D )

Before there are comments about Ethanol - we here in SA are spared this scourge. That said, get into a habit of testing nevertheless. It just good procedure / airmanship. Want an Ethanol Tester - feel free to contact me - I have quite a few.

Now that Summer is on its way, I personally blend about 25 - 30% AVGAS into my fuel (RV with an IO360)- it keeps the VPN (Vapour Pressure Number) on the safe side (higher VPN) for especially flight at higher altitudes.

Just do the right things right - flying on MOGAS is a non event.
These users liked the author Horace Blok for the post (total 2):
ACE MANRotor kop
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
SandPiper
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by SandPiper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:10 am

Mogas rocks, as long as you comply with the requirements of the STC (type certified), non event.

Get the Petersen STC for type certified aircraft, my Cherokee loves it.

As above, choose your garage wisely, I got water in my fuel twice, not much, but it was there.

Also makes me wonder how much water we carry along in our car fuel tanks.
winona
FREDA checks
Closest Airfield: FAAN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by winona » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 pm

I flew my NTCA Bonanza with the IO470 Continental for 500hrs on MOGAS in cruise below 24 inches MP with no problems over 12 years. Lost about 3 knots in cruise at unchanged mixture and throttle setting, EGT's trended about 10 degrees higher...once out of Pilansberg in mid December crossing the Magaliesburg back to FAKR, I got a bit of an engine stumble...hit the boost and changed tanks back to AVGAS...no further issues.
my fuel system was different though..Return to tank system was specific to one tank and boost pump was sourced from an AVGAS only tank.

Takeoff and landing was always on AVGAS.

Once in Moz at Inhambane, we could only get MOGAS...limited takeoff MP to 24 out of there and enough runway so no problem. That was in 2006..

Best...
Bob
These users liked the author winona for the post:
Rotor kop
spend your time living!

Return to “General Aviation Chatter”