The Instrument Rating checkride for FS2004

Synthetic and Virtual aviation of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Johan Louw
Aircraft in Hangar

The Instrument Rating checkride for FS2004

Unread post by Johan Louw » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:08 am

I have attempted this numerous times, but got the message "you did not enter the hold correctly" every time. Unfortunately one is not told what you did wrong. I understand that this not important to everybody, but I am just very interested to know what I am doing wrong.

In my opinion, the notes regarding the flight are not of a high standard and I also believe that there is inconsistency between the lessons and the actual test flight in so far as "holding on the 14 radial" is concerned.

I shall appreciate it if there is anybody who is prepared to assist and if so, I believe the only way is that such a person outlines the procedure he or she applied, step by step, in order to have been successful.
Cornell Blok
Six Tousand
Six Tousand

Re: The Instrument Rating checkride for FS2004

Unread post by Cornell Blok » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:46 pm

I hope this helps Johan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petrol attendant in Training/Car Wash Supervisor

http://www.travelairva.com
Float_flyer
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by Float_flyer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Holding pattern for Radial 140 or 014? Nevertheless the objective is to hold overhead the VOR. The triangle in the picture is the VOR and the radial is the left leg of the racetrack if the hold is a Std right hand turn however it’s the opposite if a left hand turn. Most holds are right hand turn with the pattern start overhead the VOR, then a standard turn of 180deg, then the outbound leg, then again a 180deg turn onto the inbound leg. The entry method depend on which section you are arriving from as per the picture. Lots of YouTube videos how to get it right

The picture shows the 090 radial so if you have to use radial 140 just subtract the 70 degrees and it’s reciprocal as the entry sector determine factor

Remember that the turns and legs are flown at time per section irrespective of the aircraft speed. Usually 1 minute per turn and 1 minute for the legs thus 4 minutes per holding pattern unless otherwise instructed by ATC

Also most flight simulators cannot auto pilot a standard rate turn so I guess you have to fly it instead of adjusting the heading of the autopilot

Also remember to adjust your headings to compensate for x wind component
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
Johan Louw
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Johan Louw » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:55 am

At this stage, I would just like to thank the two people for their responses.

My problem has however not been solved and in order to to so, I need to take this matter forward into more detail, but must consider whether this is the appropriate place or whether I should deal with the respondents personally. In this regard I need to find out how exactly PM's are done
JJ Maree
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo Intl.

Unread post by JJ Maree » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Johan, I have also battled with that same problem for some time and eventually passed that rating.
You can make use of the very handy diagram that Cornel posted earlier, however it boils down to a parallel Entry and because the computer is set to very sensitive with turns, altitude and heading it might require a few practice runs before you attempt it.
Good luck.
Vcrit
Engine full power confirmed

Unread post by Vcrit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

Johan Louw
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by Johan Louw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am

I almost gave up hope of ever finding out what is making me fail this checkride and then this came along. Please receive my sincere thanks.

Just as a matter of interest, please tel me how you got this info and whether this is available to anybody

Kind regards
Vcrit
Engine full power confirmed

Unread post by Vcrit » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 am

Johan Louw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am
I almost gave up hope of ever finding out what is making me fail this checkride and then this came along. Please receive my sincere thanks.

Just as a matter of interest, please tel me how you got this info and whether this is available to anybody

Kind regards
Good morning Johan. I simply googled it. I had the same frustrations many years ago doing that exact test. When I stumbled upon your post I wondered if someone had thought of doing a comprehensive walkthrough.

Return to “Virtual Aviation”