Fabric covering options

General tips, techniques, hints, tools and the also where can I find it? We cover both construction and maintenance submissions.

Moderator: Moderators

Jayson v Schalkwyk
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Himeville
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Fabric covering options

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Johan, if you are interested in the Stewart Systems covering process, feel free to make contact with me directly - jayson@bergaeroworks.co.za
Jayson van Schalkwyk

Owner - Berg Aero Works
Proud dealer of Stewart Systems covering and paint products
https://www.facebook.com/BergAeroWorks/

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking
Johan Swakopmund
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 135 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am

Jean and Jason

Looking from e new renovation / rebuild perspective.
The removal of old fabric , strip , repair and repaint of aircraft structure , new wiring ,
engine and controls refurbing all must be done whatever covering you want to use for the aircraft.
I am only talking of the covering , material , Oratex versus seconite ,hours and expertise needed
, repaint of fabric et al to finishing. . Also the time spend to stitch , prepare for paint and professional
paint work.
I am going to work with Nico Louw who did his supercub with Oratex and try to do a estimate for square meter or aircraft size
like Super cub to get a comparison .
I am so , call it one track minded ( don't know how to put it it in English ) to think and do it the old way we have learnt it
and do not want to switch to a new product that could perhaps be the same price but have much better life span ,
low maintenance , easy to use etc.'
AS the saying says , Curiosity kills the cat.
Will come back if i have any more info on this subject

Johan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Johan Swakopmund
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 135 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:27 am

Jayson v Schalkwyk wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:20 pm
Johan, if you are interested in the Stewart Systems covering process, feel free to make contact with me directly - jayson@bergaeroworks.co.za
Jason
Please see my posting above.
I do not say one product is better than the other but if you can perhaps do a very rough calculation
on a recover and paint of a Supercub the Seconite way i will really appreciate.
Please remember i have no horse in the race ,

regards
Johan
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Vliegskaap
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Wingfield
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Vliegskaap » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Just bought all the covering stuff for recovering a PA18 Supercub. In the end went with Stewart Systems as it is fairly easy to come by due to the chemicals being water borne. Thus can be shipped with normal couriers from USA and not special freight. I also like the gloss finish as opposed to the more flat/dull finish of more traditional systems. Got everything for the recover (fabric, glue, tapes, base coat etc) from Jayson at Berg Aero Works. Cost was just over R50k for everything.

Trying to compare with other systems was difficult due to not everything being available locally (need certified system), but feeling from guy doing the recovering is that its not so far removed from ceconite and related dope materials.

Top coat costs probably going to be another R25k for everything, doing 2 tone paint scheme.

To that you must then ad your time or cost of labor if someone else is doing it.
Amat victoria curam
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by stefan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:39 am

We are probably the largest single importer (RSA) of the Stewart System. It is a great product. An Aircraft the size of Safari will cost approximately R40k to cover using 100% Stewart, Its is however possible to mix our proprietary system at KFA (Aeromuti) with the Stewart System. So you can use our fabric and fabric bond and then use the Ecofill, primer and paints on top of that to have the same result at a reduced cost. You can also use the standard KFA Aeromuti system up to silver (UV), let it dry properly and then use the Stewart paint on top of our system. this will give the same lifespan as 100% Stewart System. So there are many options and many ways to do this.
These users liked the author stefan for the post:
Jean Crous
Jayson v Schalkwyk
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Himeville
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Jayson v Schalkwyk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:59 am

Before any confusion might come up I would like comment,

Stewart Systems is a water borne, non hazardous, non flammable, FAA approved covering system available with an STC for a vast array of type certified aircraft and the extensive list is available on the approved models list (AML). However, the STC can only be issued to type certified aircraft when the recover has been done strictly in accordance with the latest revision of Stewarts procedures manual (current revision is #4 01/07/2019).

As for South African NTCA, you are well within your right, in terms of SA-CATS 24 (airworthiness) and SA-CATS 44 (maintenance) with guidance from your AP who will ultimately sign off your aircraft, to use any method or material you choose. However, would you want to run the risk of mixing products in unknown combinations (solvents vs waterborne) and jeopardise the end result? Ultimately, how is the manufacturer going to offer you customer support when they don't know what or how you have applied the process?

Stewarts System has been developed over a number of years, is safe, durable, easy to use and when applied correctly can give you show winning finishes. Granted, not everybody is wanting a show winner, but I have no doubt that we all want our aircraft to look good for years to come after taking the time, effort and investment to cover or recover our pride and joy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayson van Schalkwyk

Owner - Berg Aero Works
Proud dealer of Stewart Systems covering and paint products
https://www.facebook.com/BergAeroWorks/

A pilot's professionalism is judged by how he flies when nobody is looking
Bingpilot
Fuelling up
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bingpilot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:27 am

stefan wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:39 am
We are probably the largest single importer (RSA) of the Stewart System. It is a great product. An Aircraft the size of Safari will cost approximately R40k to cover using 100% Stewart, Its is however possible to mix our proprietary system at KFA (Aeromuti) with the Stewart System. So you can use our fabric and fabric bond and then use the Ecofill, primer and paints on top of that to have the same result at a reduced cost. You can also use the standard KFA Aeromuti system up to silver (UV), let it dry properly and then use the Stewart paint on top of our system. this will give the same lifespan as 100% Stewart System. So there are many options and many ways to do this.
A bit of license there 😊 the first order for KFA not yet in SA. I tried getting some today and there’s no stock available from you for three weeks apparently. Keen to see how the mix and match works out when it does arrive.
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by stefan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm

I was just stating fact. What Jayson posted is true for the certified aircraft and mostly correct regarding the Stewart System. How would any of you know how we use the systems? I have an order for 10 aircraft (Stewart) which hopefully was shipped yesterday. My next order is going in next week for another 10. I can confidently state that we use the most amount of aircraft covering in South Africa per year. This order is not for re-sale to the public but for KFA use. I don't intend to become a Stewart System shop but if I have stock available of items they will be available for sale. The point I was trying to make is that there are many ways to do the covering and still get an affordable long lasting solution for homebuilders. I have been doing this for a very long time. Prove me wrong. At KFA we changed over to Stewart System due to the Eco friendliness of the products and the value it adds to our aircraft. I love the system.

By the way, The Stewart System CAN be painted over the nitrate butyrate system and you will still get a very long life out of it. Once the nitrate butyrate is system is fully dry (2-4 days) depending on the temperature you can safely apply the paint on top of it. The current issue with the KFA Aeromuti is not the system up to silver (UV), it is the 2 k car paint used, which becomes brittle and cracks over time if not looked after.

Use, don't use it.

PS. I am not in competition with anybody here to try and sell any fabric options or playing down any system. I was offering free advise to any homebuilder looking for different covering solutions. I mostly dont sell covering to the general flying public.
These users liked the author stefan for the post (total 2):
Jean CrousJvTonder

Return to “Building and Maintaining Aircraft”