Italian designed, all alumunium, STOL aircraft

Moderator: Moderators

Rave
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

ZU - FHD Friday - Flyday

Unread post by Rave » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Last week I asked Rob Kennedy if I could "fit on" his new Savannah XL as I am planning to build one for myself. Rob did not hesitate, and offered not only a look-see-decide, but also treated me to a whole days flying with him on Friday! With the necessary flight clearance received, the day turned out to be just great for flying. I helped Rob fuel up the Savannah and "Burped the Rotax" while he did the pre-flight inspection.
ZU - FHD 1 Lanseria pre-flight.jpg
ZU - FHD 2 Whata Panel!!!.jpg
At this point I must add that I have no flying experience other than about 16hrs on weight shift back in 2004, so this was going to be huge experience for me! After take-off we routed out over Hartbeespoort Dam,
ZU - FHD 3 Harties Ifafi.jpg
did a touch-and-go at Coves but did not see Mr. Brinks' Meerkat there, and so headed off to Orient at Magaliesburg, where Rob practiced a few short landings. He was not happy with his attempts, but I am impressed with what we achieved with this little airplane! From there we headed for Rustenburg, crossing the Magalies just west (I think) of the concrete tower. Here I just realised why flying have been such an obsession with me for all my years. People who are earthbound just do not see the things you see from above.
ZU - FHD 4 What you do not see being earthbound.jpg
After crossing the mountain, I asked Rob if I can feel what the controls are like, on which he replied, "you have control, fly her from here" Man, we were like a diaper in a tumble dryer from there-on, I could not maintain direction or height not to mention getting rudder co-ordination flying the little black ball like a nickerball rolling around in a bowl!!! However, I managed with his direction and throttle control to fly the Rustenburg circuit, with him doing the landing for a touch and go. Just off the ground I got to understand the effect of torque of a full throttled engine, as I could not track the centre line. Climb out was to the right, routing for Brits to go visit Rainer and Barbara to go have a look at progress on ZU – SEA, some interesting aviation chat and a good cup of coffee.On this leg I at least kept the headding but showed little regard for keeping to a flight level!
ZU - FHD 5 Having Coffee With Reiner and Barbara at Brits.jpg
Rainer also showed us the build progress on the “fixed gear” Flamingo (called something else). This is one smooth looking airplane and I think a good addition to their other reputable brands. Our flight plan called for a 13h00 local time departure from Brits so way too soon we had to be airborne again for our last leg back to Lanseria, but not before fitting in a touch and go at Piet Smit’s strip at Aviators, and being held in an orbit just outside Lanseria controlled airspace. My thanks again goes out to Rob K for tagging me along for an unforgettable Friday – Flyday!
Now let us watch the Game...Hup...Hup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyCAP
Frequent AvComer

Re: ZU - FHD Friday - Flyday

Unread post by AndyCAP » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 am

Sounds like you had an awesome day Rave.

May I ask how tall are you and how did you fit in?

I sent Rob a PM also requesting a "test fit" earlier in the week not knowing that you had already made such an arrangement - and feel a bit 'dof' seeing that you pipped me to it :oops: :D . I see he is busy with preparing for the rally worlds so perhaps his time is limited for the forseeable future.

I am 2m tall and "tried on" the standard Savannah but it was way too tight, so I am keen to see if the XL will work.

The 'mission profile' of the Savannah fits with what I'd like to do - just wish they would make it available in a taildragger :twisted: and I think it offers very good value for money. The other thing that I like about it is that it can be built in under 500 hours. and you end up with an all aluminium plane.
George

Unread post by George » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Rave wrote: did a touch-and-go at Coves but did not see Mr. Brinks' Meerkat there,
Was wekking last week, but will be FLYDAYING this afternoon.... Beanie en all.. brrrrr :wink:
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:03 am

Howzit AndyCap,

I am 1,86m and 93kg. The fit is shoulder to shoulder, but quite comfortable with more than enough leg room. Rob is also quite a tall and broad shouldered fella, and we were comfortable. Am sure headroom should also be sufficient. Best you prompt ol Rob again and fit yourself [-o< Ja, this is perfect for my intended flying too, and very safe. Rob also said that of all the aircraft he flies, he would rather be in the Savannah when the engin goes silent! :roll: The nosewheel thing has been discussed so many times, and i think you will land this plane as safely as any taildragger when and where required.

Now if only John Waterson can make me an offer like he did for Rudi's build team on his existing stock, i'll be ordering! [-o<

Regards,

Deon.

PS: George, would love to come fit your RV 4 on toooo? =P~ :D [-o<
George

Unread post by George » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 am

Anytime. At moment am usually back at the Coves on Flydays around 4.30/5ish. Can then go for a quick burn if you keen. Weekends with kids social prg are usually too full for flying :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 am

Much appreciated George! Am also at Harties most weekends and early August will take you up on your offer for a late afternoon Fryday Flyday! 8) =D> Will PM closer to the time?
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:21 am

AndyCAP wrote:Sounds like you had an awesome day Rave.

I sent Rob a PM also requesting a "test fit" earlier in the week not knowing that you had already made such an arrangement - and feel a bit 'dof' seeing that you pipped me to it :oops: :D . I see he is busy with preparing for the rally worlds so perhaps his time is limited for the forseeable future.

I am 2m tall and "tried on" the standard Savannah but it was way too tight, so I am keen to see if the XL will work.

The 'mission profile' of the Savannah fits with what I'd like to do - just wish they would make it available in a taildragger :twisted: and I think it offers very good value for money. The other thing that I like about it is that it can be built in under 500 hours. and you end up with an all aluminium plane.
Does not work for me [-X [-(
Taildrager.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

Unread post by George » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:27 am

Works for me.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 am

:D Ja, mayby you got a point there George! Still very ugly though? :lol:
George

Unread post by George » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:37 am

Yip, but def less so that the Nose dragger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Waterson
Power off stall
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by John Waterson » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:25 am

First of all, many thanks Rob for your assistance in demoing the Savannah.

On the tail dragger idea. If you guys take a closer look at the design of the cabin area, you will see how the aft gear position, as in the tricycle configuration, is designed to carry the load on landing. Not so the forward position. Also the fuselage aft of the cabin is not capable of bearing the tail wheel load for landing without strengthening. I would not recommend converting to tail-dragger without significant attention being paid to these areas.

For practical purposes the nose wheel of the Savannah is only to stop the prop hitting the ground when the aircraft is standing. If flown properly, the Savannah will get its front wheel off in 10 m and on landing one can easily hold off the front wheel until nearly at a standstill.

I know !! I know !! that still does not make it a tail dragger. Too bad, .........your are just going to have to deal with it.

Regards

John
Savannah - All alluminium, STOL,
The Bakkie of the Sky
Take off 50 m
Cruise 100 mph
Stall with flaps 30 mph Ph 043 7321 321
John Waterson
Power off stall

Unread post by John Waterson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am

And now the factory version of the taildragger
The Bakkie of the Sky
Take off 50 m
Cruise 100 mph
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am

AndyCAP wrote:Sounds like you had an awesome day Rave.

AndyCAP, also go visit Philip at Bundu, he is assembling the first CH750 Taildragger. Think he will have it on display at Misasa fly inn also.
Whirlwind GA-J2B.jpg
John Waterson
Power off stall

Unread post by John Waterson » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Don't think I am going to make it to the show.
Damn!
The Bakkie of the Sky
Take off 50 m
Cruise 100 mph
Rave
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by Rave » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:17 pm

looks good John! 8)