Can a Private pilot act as a co-pilot and log the hours? - 61.03.5 Privileges and limitations of a PPL(A)

Questions for the South African Civil Aviation Authority.

Moderator: Moderators

Skade
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Can a Private pilot act as a co-pilot and log the hours? - 61.03.5 Privileges and limitations of a PPL(A)

Unread post by Skade » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:08 am

Hi,

I have 2 questions regarding Air law 61.03.5 i.e. Privileges and limitations of a PPL(A)

1. I want to know can a Private pilot act as a co-pilot and log the hours? For example in a C172 for which he/she is rated on?
2. If so do you log it as SIC?

According to 61.03.5
“The holder of a PPL (Aeroplane) may – (a) act as co-pilot of any aeroplane on which a co-pilot is not a requirement”

Thank you

Kind Regards
Rhyno
DEWALDESTERHUIZEN
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Can a Private pilot act as a co-pilot and log the hours? - 61.03.5 Privileges and limitations of a PPL(A)

Unread post by DEWALDESTERHUIZEN » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Rhyno.

As far as I know, the holder of a PPL(A) may act as a co-pilot on an aircraft for which a co-pilot is not a requirement, BUT the aircraft needs to be certified to be able to be operated by two pilots. A Cessna 172 is only certified for single pilot operation.

Kind Regards
Dewald
“Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.”-Anonymous
Only
Flying to unmanned aerodrome
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Can a Private pilot act as a co-pilot and log the hours? - 61.03.5 Privileges and limitations of a PPL(A)

Unread post by Only » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:30 pm

I am going with nope.

Logging of flight time

Co-pilot time
(8) Any appropriately rated pilot occupying a pilot seat as co-pilot of an aircraft requiring more than one pilot under the type certification of the aircraft, or as prescribed by the regulations under which the flight is conducted, must log the flight time as co-pilot.

Return to “CAA General Questions”