CAA exams - 2 month cool off period

Questions for the South African Civil Aviation Authority.

Moderator: Moderators

MarnoKoen
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FAFK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

CAA exams - 2 month cool off period

Unread post by MarnoKoen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Good day,

I have a question regarding the 2 month cool off period where if a student has failed his exam 3 times or with less than 50% he/she has to wait 2 months before attempting this exam again.

My question now is, I for example wrote and failed AT&G (A) once and waited 2 months before attempting it again tomorrow. Why does the system not pick this up and reset? I mean I have now waited 2 months - to give myself enough time to study - rather than 7 days to rewrite, but still I have only 2 attempts left. Where as the next person will write every 7 days until he has to wait 2 months. If this makes any sense..

Could someone explain to me why it is like that?

Kind Regards
michael_v
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: HMS FAKR
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: CAA exams - 2 month cool off period

Unread post by michael_v » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi

Regarding the 2 month cool off period, how the CAA examination department interprets it is that you have 3 attempts at each exam in the 18 month period before you have a 2 month cool off period, this is if you fail the subject between 50% - 74%. If you fail it with less than 50% you have an immediate 2 month cool off period which does not reset the 3 attempts, if you fail a subject with less than 50% on the second attempt you get the 2 month ban, after 2 months you re write that subject and fail you get slapped with another 2 month ban because you have had your 3 attempts in the 18 month period.

You can go and have a look at the law on the CAA website, it does not make much sense but you cannot argue with the CAA examinations department.

Hope this clears it up for you, as clear as mud I would say.

Good luck

Michael
pumpjock
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: howick

Unread post by pumpjock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm completely at a loss as to the logical purpose of the "cool off " period?
My son has written planning and performance getting 74% on all 3 attempts .On the 2nd and 3rd the report showed a mirror image of errors .
Academics aside , I can understand less than 50 % requiring further study , All I see is a system that is bent on breaking aspirant aviators or an algorithm that ensures a steady stream of revenue from students desperately trying to get ahead?
Rayray
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Rayray » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:45 pm

it seems like everybody is ok with a 2 month ban form exams....
plus there is a month waiting period before you can book so its 3 months of not writing the exam!!!!
how is this fair......?????????????????????
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 507 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 pm

....nobody is ok with it, question is; how can a defunct organisation that cannot even get the question to the exams right, expected to act fair on behalf of their clients, the flying community. Hope some deep pocketed, very angry and frustrated entity take them on and wipe the floor with them. The system is broken - why, because it is managed as a penalizing tool instead of an educating and regulating one!
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
sweptwing
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by sweptwing » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:37 pm

At the end of the day, if you have scored 74% it means you failed by 26%, not by 1%. Of a whole 26% you needed only one more percent correct. Study hard and reap the rewards. Might as well learn from the word go, the aviation industry can be brutal. Failing one of your exams might just be the wake up call you need. Aviation is not a game, it’s a serious thing and lack of knowledge eventually shows or catches up with you.

Right or wrong, that’s the system, you know it going into it, so prepare yourself. I’m sorry if I come across a bit harsh but if you study to get 120% you won’t fail and you will be a better safer aviator and the feeling of doing that is very rewarding.

Why would you want a free easy ride? You want to do something that challenges you, that you need to work for, earn it.

It’s like when someone says to me they could run a marathon if they wanted to but they don’t have the time to train for it. Sure, if it was as easy as setting time aside to train everyone would do it but they don’t, because it requires discipline and it’s hard. That is why crossing the finish line on race day is so rewarding, just like flying.
“For each of them, the most important thing in living was to reach out and touch perfection in that which they most love to do, and that was to fly.” Richard Bach
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:48 pm

....agreed and thumps up, not having a problem with the pass requirement or content, but, the way it is presented is flawed in that it is wrong, the answers provided does not match up to the question?? Cooling of period, I mean, even Gary Player said, the more I practise, the luckier I get! :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
transitionlevel
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by transitionlevel » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 pm

I did not read all of the above comments but the exam itself is not to practice. It is a your chance to proof that you know the content of the subject. If you want to practice get yourself a question bank and practice the exams in the QB. The CAA exam is not there for anyone to practice. Go study the subject and then go and WIN in the CAA exam.
ChopperOukie
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FABB
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by ChopperOukie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 am

One of the reasons I gave up on flying (besides grounding myself) was exactly the examination thing.

I wrote all the exams and passed. Then all of a sudden it was not accepted, even though my exams were done prior to the cut-off dates. I submitted all in time and was advised that I have to now redo it online. I wrote all of the exams online and just could not pass one of them - no matter what I did. Study, restudy and check the answers against the book afterwards. My answers were according to the book, but the system would mark stuff wrong regardless.

I eventually gave up on the system. Maybe one day I will go back and do the ground school thing again and write all the exams all over (as my exams are all lapsed as I never completed).

I had the early experience, and is does not seem to be any better. Getting 74% to "force" a rewrite was my feeling.
When Angels pack their wings away, follow their lead...
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 963 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:02 am

If you are prepared and understand the material, the exams are not difficult.
For helicopters, some of the material is quite fix-wingy and IFR focused, which can be challenging.
There should be no need to write more than twice, and even then rarely.

On the small number I plugged first time, I immediately knew the areas I was lacking and then decided to do some fixed-wing mock exams which filled in some of the gaps in the prep.
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:51 pm

pumpjock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm
My son has written planning and performance getting 74% on all 3 attempts .On the 2nd and 3rd the report showed a mirror image of errors .
Academics aside , I can understand less than 50 % requiring further study , All I see is a system that is bent on breaking aspirant aviators or an algorithm that ensures a steady stream of revenue from students desperately trying to get ahead?
....same boat and the 18 months end is neigh!
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:39 pm

pumpjock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm
....have your son made any headway since?

Return to “CAA General Questions”