Endorsed - May I fly??

Questions for the South African Civil Aviation Authority.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaywheller
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Endorsed - May I fly??

Unread post by Jaywheller » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi All,

CAA boffins, please assist.

Still a lot of controversy around this. Here's the scenario:

If your license has expired, less than 36 months, and you have renewed it (following all the requirements set out such as appropriate training etc.) with a DFE, and they have found you competent and have endorsed your logbook, and you have sent your paperwork in for issue of your license, but still haven't received it back from the SACAA, Are you allowed to fly?

I have been scouring the CATs and CARs looking for this piece of info, to no avail. Perhaps I've just missed it.

Common knowledge dictates that, given that a DFE has found you competent and has endorsed you accordingly, you should be allowed to exercise the privileges of your license (as you are pretty much just awaiting the paperwork confirming this), however it also makes sense that you need the issued paperwork. (Think of the endorsement as an initial drivers license where they print out a temporary license whilst you await your official card.)

Same goes for when a conversion to a new aircraft has been done.

Would love to hear the takes on this. Also, if anyone has the exact part in the law where this is explained, please do attach the part.

Blue Skies and happy landings :D
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 932 times

Re: Endorsed - May I fly??

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:00 pm

Short answer. No.

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
Rotor kop
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 302 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:07 am

Cant see why not? If your medical is valid, your test submitted with POP and any other documentation then why not? Especially that you had a valid license previously.
But why the rush, CAA usually takes a few days?
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 296 times

Unread post by Burner » Mon May 02, 2022 12:21 pm

to my knowledge you may not fly/exercise the privileges of your license until the licence has been processed by the CAA, you have signed it and are physically in possession of it. It's not the same as a type rating, where the endorsement allows you to fly immediately. The legal ramifications should you fly with an expired licence based solely on the endorsement, something happens in the air and in the mean time the CAA has refused to issue your licence due to a technicality (for example say the testing officers licence wasn't valid!) are immense.

Its for this reason that I applied for a 30 day extension on my expiring licence, despite having done my IR revalidation, in order to continue flying whilst waiting for my physical licence.

Will try find it in the law, but I'm fairly sure that in summary, you cannot fly until your new licence has been issued, signed by yourself and physically on your person.
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 296 times

Unread post by Burner » Mon May 02, 2022 12:34 pm

61.01.2 (1) No person may act as a pilot of a South African registered aircraft, except in the case of dual instruction with an appropriately rated flight instructor, unless such person holds a valid pilot licence with applicable ratings issued, reissued, validated or revalidated by the Director or by an appropriate authority in terms of this Part or Part 62: Provided that a SPL may have been issued without a class rating or type rating.

So I would argue that the endorsement in your Logbook is just that, an endorsement saying you have completed the skills test and does NOT constitute alone a licence renewal. Anything that only requires a Logbook endorsement (such as type ratings/differences that do not appear physically on the licence) are valid as soon as they are entered. You the fill in a form NOTIFYING the CAA (not requesting they approve the endorsement).

A conversion/type as I mentioned is valid immediately even if it is required to appear on your licence. There is a temp certificate at the end of form 61-09.06 that the examiner fills in to allow you to fly with the type rating only endorsed in the logbook for 30 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “CAA General Questions”