Pacific Ace Sportster for Sybrand

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Tomcat1
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Silverton
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 172 times

Re: Pacific Ace Sportster for Sybrand

Unread post by Tomcat1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:47 pm

Cheeks done (5).jpg
You'll notice that the cowl has been split horizontally into a top and bottom, this HAD to be done in order to be able to remove the engine at any time for whatever reason.
Top half of cowl shaping.jpg
Here is where the pawpaw hit the fan...Sybrand and I had spoken about spinner size briefly so I used a 2 1/4" spinner I had to get the front end all done and matching up...OOOOPS #-o :roll: ](*,) My spinner and Sybrand's spinners were the same size and even the same color, BUT, my spinner has a recess in the back plate, Sybrand's one doesn't #-o :roll: #-o :roll:
The solution was actually very simple albeit a bit time consuming to match everything up again, I just cut a 4mm ply ring to match and glued that onto the front of the existing spinner ring, then filled and sanded to blend it all in again and problem sorted.
Solution.jpg
Front done.jpg
Then came planning for pushrods and servo mounting etc. We decided to go with a servo on each elevator and I made up the pushrods with 6mm dowel and threaded connecting rods.
The dowels were cut to length along with the rear threaded rods, the rods bent to a "Z" bend and bound to the dowel with Dacron, superglued and then covered with shrink sleeve.
The servos were then installed (including throttle) and the other end of the pushrods measured up, bound and finished in the same way.
The pushrods were finally installed before covering as they would be a right royal PAIN to get in after covering :roll: 8-[
Elevator pushrods (1).jpg
Elevator pushrods (2).jpg
Elevator pushrods (3).jpg
All servos installed (1).jpg
All servos installed (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tomcat1
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Tomcat1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 pm

The elevators were sanded to section and ply horns made and glued in and elevator hinges installed.
Elevators sanded and hinges fitted.jpg
Ply elevator horns.jpg
Throttle linkage was done.
Throttle linkage.jpg
Magnets were epoxied into the bottom half of the cowl and metal plates into the top half for hold down and short carbon rods glued into the top half as locating pins.
Cowl locating pegs.jpg
Cowl magnets in.jpg
Cowl plates in.jpg
I had to improvise slightly to have a place to mount the switch, so I added a piece of 3mm balsa between the two side stringers and scalloped them front and back to give them a finished look to match the rest of the structure (did this on both sides).
Improvising to fit switch.jpg
Then it was on to covering the fuselage and tail feathers. I didn't take picture of the entire fuselage and tail covering process #-o 8-[
Fuselage and tail covering in progress (1).jpg
Fuselage and tail covering in progress (2).jpg
Fuselage and tail covering in progress (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tomcat1
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Tomcat1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Fuselage and tail covering in progress (4).jpg
All covered.
All covered (1).jpg
All covered (2).jpg
All covered (3).jpg
The spats and the cowl top were primed with a filler based primer.
Filler primer on spats and cowl top.jpg
Then it came time to do the task I wasn't looking forward too...cleaning up the undercarriage. It had developed rust on the surface after Sybrand originally started with the project and try as I may, rust remover wasn't working to clean it up #-o :roll: I then opted for pool acid diluted with water, soaked for about 15min, rinsed well and sanded the wire. Once done, I glued the spat "holders" into the spats with a STRONG epoxy (cant remember the name and it's worn off the label) and once cured, fitted the spats and wheels to this bird.
There only remains the pull pull cables for me to install and to solder the rudder horn onto the rudder torque rod, then Sybrand can get to the spray painting :wink:
Only one or two small things still to do (1).jpg
Only one or two small things still to do (2).jpg
Only one or two small things still to do (3).jpg
Only one or two small things still to do (4).jpg
The rudder cables come out the bottom corners behind the tail wheel straight to the rudder horn which then connects to the tail wheel horn with springs :wink:
richard C
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 349 times

Unread post by richard C » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Looks great !!!
Grant all equity and dignity
Richard Cook Consulting Architects (Pty) Ltd
Ugly Duckling
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 732 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:34 am

A beautiful bird masterfully built =D>
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
Tomcat1
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Tomcat1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks guys :wink:

Return to “General Model Aircraft Chatter”