Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 year

ICASA is the regulator for the South African communications, broadcasting and postal services sector. At this stage, this section is not officially sanctioned by ICASA management and is being monitored on a voluntary basis.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter.L.
Lining Up
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 year

Unread post by Peter.L. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

On 14th January (last Monday) ICASA published Government Gazette number 36072 containing General Notice number 8 of 2013 referring to the renewal of Radio Frequency licences with particular reference to Aeronautical, Amateur and Ship Station licences, otherwise referred to as Multi-year licences. The gazette may be viewed or dowloaded from the following URL:

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFil ... ?id=181869

One of the main points in the Notice is that renewal of licences must be done by the completion and submission of Form B as contained in the Notice and as referred to in regulation 9. of the Radio Frequency Spectrum regulations as published in GG number 34172 on 31st March 2011. One of the primary reasons for requiring renewals to be effected in this manner is to attempt to ensure that licensees' contact details are updated at least once per year for most licences but at least once every 5 years for the multi-year licences, such as aeronautical. This does not, however, absolve licensees from the existing requirement to advise ICASA within 14 days of any change in their contact details. As indicated in the Notice, licensees who have changed their contact details and not yet advised ICASA must please complete and submit Form B prior to 25th January to allow for renewal notices to be forwarded to the correct address. Licensees who's licence details are fully up to date should ensure that they submit Form B within sufficient time to allow renewal notices to reach them and for the required renewal fees to be paid by the due date, i.e 31st March 2013.

Regarding the multi-year licences, apart from only having to submit Form B once every 5 years (or less, dependent on the period for which the licence is required), the advantage of taking a multi-year licence may be seen from the following:-

Working on the base licence fee of R120.00, the fee for 1 year = R120.00; fee for 2 years = R230.00; fee for 3 years = R329.00; fee for 4 years = R419.00 and the fee for 5 years = R501.00.

Licensees are encouraged to consider applying for multi-year licences as above, however, please be aware that if a licence is requested for 5 years and the aerie is disposed of after 3 years, no refund of un-expended licence fees will be considered.

GG 36072 indicates the various addresses to which the documentation should be submitted and also contact telephone numbers for further enquiries. Licensees may of course also contact me via the forum email service or direct at telephone 031-3349515, or simply add another post to this thread.

Regards to all,

Peter
Rob K
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Re: Radio Licence renewals for 2013-2014 year

Unread post by Rob K » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Peter.L. wrote:Hi Everyone,

On 14th January (last Monday) ICASA published Government Gazette number 36072 containing General Notice number 8 of 2013 referring to the renewal of Radio Frequency licences with particular reference to Aeronautical, Amateur and Ship Station licences, otherwise referred to as Multi-year licences. The gazette may be viewed or dowloaded from the following URL:

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFil ... ?id=181869

One of the main points in the Notice is that renewal of licences must be done by the completion and submission of Form B as contained in the Notice and as referred to in regulation 9. of the Radio Frequency Spectrum regulations as published in GG number 34172 on 31st March 2011. One of the primary reasons for requiring renewals to be effected in this manner is to attempt to ensure that licensees' contact details are updated at least once per year for most licences but at least once every 5 years for the multi-year licences, such as aeronautical. This does not, however, absolve licensees from the existing requirement to advise ICASA within 14 days of any change in their contact details. As indicated in the Notice, licensees who have changed their contact details and not yet advised ICASA must please complete and submit Form B prior to 25th January to allow for renewal notices to be forwarded to the correct address. Licensees who's licence details are fully up to date should ensure that they submit Form B within sufficient time to allow renewal notices to reach them and for the required renewal fees to be paid by the due date, i.e 31st March 2013.

Regarding the multi-year licences, apart from only having to submit Form B once every 5 years (or less, dependent on the period for which the licence is required), the advantage of taking a multi-year licence may be seen from the following:-

Working on the base licence fee of R120.00, the fee for 1 year = R120.00; fee for 2 years = R230.00; fee for 3 years = R329.00; fee for 4 years = R419.00 and the fee for 5 years = R501.00.

Licensees are encouraged to consider applying for multi-year licences as above, however, please be aware that if a licence is requested for 5 years and the aerie is disposed of after 3 years, no refund of un-expended licence fees will be considered.

GG 36072 indicates the various addresses to which the documentation should be submitted and also contact telephone numbers for further enquiries. Licensees may of course also contact me via the forum email service or direct at telephone 031-3349515, or simply add another post to this thread.

Regards to all,

Peter
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the alert.

Where do we download the original of Form B and (not having read the full document) can it be emailed?

Regards,

Rob
SAFETY FIRST AVIATOR
gertcoetzee
Take off Clearance
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by gertcoetzee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Filled in the form, emailed it, and....

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: SpecLicensing@icasa.org.za
Peter.L.
Lining Up

Unread post by Peter.L. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Rob, the original can be either printed or downloaded from:

https://www.icasa.org.za/LegislationReg ... fault.aspx

It can be emailed to speclicensing@icasa.org.za but it must be signed by the applicant and certified by a Commissioner of Oaths so it would have to be printed first, signed and then scanned and emailed.

Gert, the problem is probably congestion as the address is correct as speclicensing@icasa.org.za There must be quite a number of forms being mailed at the moment as a result of the extremely short time frame allowed. Leave it for a while and try again later or maybe tomorrow. If you still can't get it thru, send it to me at pleonard@icasa.org.za and I'll forward it.

Regards,

Peter
Roger
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAPE
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 163 times

Unread post by Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 am

Peter - thank you for the information - looks like good progress in making this process easier.

One question however, what is the reason for commissioning the document if it is to be sent electronically? A faxed/scanned copy of a commissioned document will not provide you with any more comfort that the information contained therein is any more reliable than a non commissioned document. It is almost akin to saying that I will fax you the cheque. :wink:
Don’t take things for granted… Tomorrow is not promised.
Calle_Hedberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Calle_Hedberg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 am

Hi,

What really sucks about these 2-3-4-5 year deals is that ICASA still only print out your license for one year at a time. I paid for an extra two years 2-3 months ago, but when inquiring about the new license Eileen from ICASAs Cape Town office told me ICASA would only actually issue the license for 2013-2014 in March 2013 (my license period runs from 1 April). I really wanted a longer validity period because I'm embarking on a round the world trip, but Eileen said I would have to organise for somebody in Cape Town to courier the new license to wherever.

And that assumes ICASA this year will be able to actually produce the licenses on time - they have never been able to do so for previous years (in 2011 I got the license about 3 months late, in 2012 about 8 months late).

Which means I risk getting stuck somewhere with an expired license, despite paying for several years in advance. :cry: :cry:

Regards
calle
Flying troll...
Rob K
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Rob K » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Peter.L. wrote:Rob, the original can be either printed or downloaded from:

https://www.icasa.org.za/LegislationReg ... fault.aspx

It can be emailed to speclicensing@icasa.org.za but it must be signed by the applicant and certified by a Commissioner of Oaths so it would have to be printed first, signed and then scanned and emailed.

Gert, the problem is probably congestion as the address is correct as speclicensing@icasa.org.za There must be quite a number of forms being mailed at the moment as a result of the extremely short time frame allowed. Leave it for a while and try again later or maybe tomorrow. If you still can't get it thru, send it to me at pleonard@icasa.org.za and I'll forward it.

Regards,

Peter
Hi Peter,

This is quite a process and not making very much sense - maybe it's me but where is the aircraft registration, radio equipment list etc?

Rob
SAFETY FIRST AVIATOR
henk-indabush
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund

Unread post by henk-indabush » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks Peter for all your efforts. A few questions about the filling in of the form:

3.1. What are ECS or BS Licences?
4.1 I don't understand it. Can I mark it "not applicable"?
5.1 What am I supposed to write there? Is it allowed to consider this to be "not applicable" to me.
6.1 How can I indicate the time of filing, is this not be filled in by ICASA when they received it?
7.2 I have to attach a resolution authorizing myself to sign the application, or what?

Your help with this is much appreciated.
"Circumstances doth not maketh the man, it reveals him" James Allen
Peter.L.
Lining Up

Unread post by Peter.L. » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry if people are waiting impatiently for replies, unfortunately my time on the web is a bit limited by other duties. However, in order of asking,

Commissioning - I'm not 100% sure about this but I have been told that a faxed or emailed document that has not been countersigned by a Commissioner of Oaths is not considered to be a legal document, whereas a countersigned fax or email is so considered. Perhaps a "legal beagle" could supply an answer to that one.

Calle's queries - Our current licensing system will not generate a licence for more than a 12 month period and ICASA HQ is busily trying to identify (and find funds for) another system which will do so. In the interim, it has been proposed that multi-year licences be "hand" generated bearing the applicable extended dates. As far as producing licences on time is concerned, this is one of the main reasons (apart from the AG's displeasure with the current situation) why Form B has been introduced. The aim is to verify information on a regular basis to allow for our processes to be completed more speedily and accurately. Hopefully it will work out that way!

Rob - don't get confused with the licence application forms which are very different from Form B. This document is only a renewal or verification of information document for existing licences and is not to be used for applications in respect of new licences. This is one reason why it is required that a copy of the existing licence should be attached.

Henk - by number: 3.1 ECS = Electronic Communication Service licence (issued to suppliers of internet facilities, etc.) BS = Broadcasting Service licence;
4.1 If we've nailed you for a previous transgression, e.g. use of non-type approved radios, you should admit to it, otherwise mark it N/A;
5.1 This is N/A for aero licences but is required for ECS or BS licence renewals;
6.1 The normal time period specified for lodging an application for renewal is the 40 working days up to and including 31st March annually. If you comply with that, just put "Yes". If for some reason you were unable to lodge the application during that period, you have 20 working days from 1st April to submit the documents but you must also supply a cast iron reason for failing to submit them before 31st March.
7.2 This is only applicable if for some reason you, as the licence holder, are unable to complete and sign the form, e.g. both your arms were broken in that last very hard landing!

Hope I haven't missed anyone. Ciao for now, Peter
SONERAI
Reaching GFA
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by SONERAI » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Ek soek die vorm in Afrikaans?
Celtic flier
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by Celtic flier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks once again for your help to the aviation fraternity Leonard, downloaded the forms and completed and e-mailed off with no hassle!

I did request a 5 year on the covering e-mail and interested to see what renewal notice I get in the post.
Chris
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Fape
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Chris » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

The Gazette form has 11 questions and the one on the ICASA 7 - why the difference?
Chris Booysen
A ship is safe in a harbour, but that is not what it is built for.
Calle_Hedberg
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Calle_Hedberg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am

Pieter,

Good to hear that ICASA is addressing the issue of printing multi-year licenses (would be beneficial to all). Keep us posted if anything happens on that front.

I sent in a complete new application form with all the new additions (HF radio etc) 2-3 months ago, so I presume I don't have to send this latest form also if the main reason is to ensure my details are up-to-date?

Regards
calle
Flying troll...
RVator
Engine Started

Unread post by RVator » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am

Peter,

Can you explain the logic of why we have to submit a copy of our license to ICASA
with Form B when in fact that document was issued by ICASA in the first place.

Its the difference between a quick and simple task and chasing out to the airport
to get it so that ICASA can see a document they already generated ? The License
Number should be enough.

BR Allan
Peter.L.
Lining Up

Unread post by Peter.L. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Quick update:

Sonerai - I don't believe there is a copy in Afrikaans. The original GG 34172 of 31 March 2011, from which Form B was taken, was only printed in English by the Government Printer.

Chris - the forms actually have the same number of questions and are identical except for the item numbers. The apparent difference is due to the fact that one version starts at 1. and the other version starts at 6. Please don't ask why as I don't know.

Calle - If you mean that you sent in a new application for a new (or new to you) aircraft, then you will only be required to submit Form B when the licence, once issued, falls due for renewal.

Allan - There's no easy answer to your question because I was not privy to the discussions which took place around the whole renewal process, however, I would guess that it is a way of verifying that the licence document itself has been correctly issued and bears the correct information according to the type of licence it is. Mistakes happen easily with computerised systems and information can become corrupted. E.g. one of my own colleagues in the Durban office has an Amateur licence and a Radio Dealer's licence. There is no problem with the Amateur licence but the Dealer's licence says that he has a 29 MHz skiboat radio and is authorised to operate in SA Coastal Waters. Obviously an error which slipped through and has to be corrected. It shouldn't happen but unfortunately it does! I have also seen quite a number of instances of correspondence where the actual licence holder, not necessarily a pilot, has misquoted his or her licence number, either referring to the wrong licence or to a non-existent licence. Not everyone checks what they have written 3 times before sending it off!

Ciao for now,

Peter

Return to “ICASA”