1968 Cherokee 235 (250) for sale

Looking at buying or selling your personal aircraft?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Strictly no commercial adverts. For guidance on our views as to what construes commercial in nature, please see: http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=54617). You may only post items that belong to you personally and may not list items on behalf of their owners.
brandsman
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 22 times

1968 Cherokee 235 (250) for sale

Unread post by brandsman » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:57 am

Considering selling my 1968 PA28B. ZS-FHA serial number 28-11029, TTSN 5445. The engine was overhauled in 2016 locally and has 292 hours SMOH. Prop is 387 hours SMOH and about 45 since mid-life. Mags were done in 2020 and the main spar inspection was done last year. She has a Garmin GNS 430 fitted, which is slaved to the autopilot which is 3 axis. It has a GMA 340 audio panel, King KX155 Navcom, KR 87 ADF, K1525 HSI. It is not immaculate, but it is in very good usable condition.

Contact Ron on 0833091822
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"And so we plough along, as the fly said to the ox." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807–82), U.S. poet. Chispa, in The Spanish Student, act 3, sc. 6 (1840).
Bearcat
thirty thousand
thirty thousand
Closest Airfield: Grand Central
Has liked: 642 times
Been liked: 3265 times

Re: 1968 Cherokee 235 (250) for sale

Unread post by Bearcat » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Pic from 2019
brandsman
HASSELL checks

Unread post by brandsman » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Thanks Bearcat.

People have (naturally) been asking about the price. Basically I would like to have what she's worth. Looking online around the world and USA it seems somewhere between US$100k and US$130k is the going rate, and those have engines with 800+ hours on them.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"And so we plough along, as the fly said to the ox." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807–82), U.S. poet. Chispa, in The Spanish Student, act 3, sc. 6 (1840).
SandPiper
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 144 times

Unread post by SandPiper » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:41 pm

brandsman wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 pm
Thanks Bearcat.

People have (naturally) been asking about the price. Basically I would like to have what she's worth. Looking online around the world and USA it seems somewhere between US$100k and US$130k is the going rate, and those have engines with 800+ hours on them.
She is worth that in the US. For some weird reason the value of the traditional Wichita aircraft went sky high in the USA.
I am even considering exporting mine to the US, you will be very lucky to get that price in the local market.

Nice aircraft, good luck with the sale.
brandsman
HASSELL checks

Unread post by brandsman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 pm

People are buying aircraft here and exporting them. If someone wants a 250 hp 235 with a good low time engine it makes more sense to pay what she's worth here than look to acquire and import. I understand that an overhaul on an O-540 here is now costing well in excess of R600k. Anyway, I am just sounding out the market, I am fortunate not to be under any pressure.
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 277 times

Unread post by Lood » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:21 pm

The local market does not relate to the US market, at all, regardless of the Blue Book values or actual selling prices abroad, unfortunately, and even more so if you’re selling.
The aircraft will ultimately be worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay, provided that the seller agrees to sell at that price.

Exporting is most certainly an option, but not all aircraft are that much sought after, internationally, to make exporting a viable option. The biggest drawback here is the actual exporting fees. I stand to be corrected, but your probably looking at somewhere around $40k?
Deduct that from the initial asking price and you’re, in many cases, right back to square one …
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 932 times

Unread post by Whirly » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:46 pm

Lood wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:21 pm
The local market does not relate to the US market, at all, regardless of the Blue Book values or actual selling prices abroad, unfortunately, and even more so if you’re selling.
The aircraft will ultimately be worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay, provided that the seller agrees to sell at that price.

Exporting is most certainly an option, but not all aircraft are that much sought after, internationally, to make exporting a viable option. The biggest drawback here is the actual exporting fees. I stand to be corrected, but your probably looking at somewhere around $40k?
Deduct that from the initial asking price and you’re, in many cases, right back to square one …
100% correct. There is/was a 1978 Turbo Arrow IV for sale here on Avcom, for R850k, which is a realistic price for the SA market. They sell for over $150k in the US. Even if you can get it there, US buyers will be very sceptical when they hear it comes from "Africa".

All the best with the sale Ron! :D

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
TxT
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by TxT » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:44 pm

Whirly wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:46 pm
Lood wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:21 pm

100% correct. There is/was a 1978 Turbo Arrow IV for sale here on Avcom, for R850k, which is a realistic price for the SA market. They sell for over $150k in the US. Even if you can get it there, US buyers will be very sceptical when they hear it comes from "Africa".

All the best with the sale Ron! :D

Whirly.
Hi Ron. Sage advice from Whirly and Lood. Willing buyer, willing seller.

Further considerations that might help to establish a fair price:
1. Who did your overhaul? An informed buyer will know who are the reputable overhaul facilities and avoid the others like the plague. A suspect overhaul increases the risk of the engine not going full TBO and will translate into a lower offer. Alternatively your pool of potential buyers will be a lot smaller.
2. What are the current blow byes and oil consumption? Are these properly recorded? Lack of oil usage records is a negative.
3. State of logbooks. An older aircraft such as yours will carry a high risk of "grey" areas in the logbooks. The astute buyer will either avoid the aircraft or drop the quantum of the offer. Long distance (USA) buyers will generally avoid.
4. Quality of maintenance. Aeroplanes talk, some scream, when it comes to the tell-tales of short cuts being taken with maintenance. Were snags properly recorded in the flight folios and logbooks? (An unanticipated wing walk repair (common) will make your eyes water. An informed buyer will be mindful of this and will know how to spot the warning signs.)
5. Do you have a comprehensive status report? Does this correspond to the logbooks? All SB's, AD's etc complied with? The timing of the expiry of the time/age limited servicing cycles of various components (mags, carb etc) will have a impact on value. Last NDT? Any Piper buyer should be aware of the areas susceptible to corrosion and should look carefully at mitigating these risks. Your aerie is an older model and might not have been hangered all its life which increases the risk of expensive corrosion repairs.
6. Appearance. (Interior and Exterior) A large part of your market buys on emotion. (Boats, cars and aeroplanes. :D ) A new interior and paint job adds to the "wow" factor which makes it easier to get your price. (Not that you would do the work now given the risk of over capitalising.)
7. Accuracy of ad. Make sure that the equipment on board is correctly specified. An opportunistic buyer might insist that the aircraft is delivered "as specified" and you might be left holding a bill for the additions required. (A 3-axis auto-pilot for instance has a yaw damper which I doubt your aircraft has.)

Including essential information in your ad will help in attracting serious inquiries. More information equates to lower risk from a buyer's perspective and hence a higher price is possible. And of course photos. Especially of the panel and interior.

Apologies for being pedantic but an overly optimistic asking price will put you on the back foot in future negotiations. Based on the partial information available and market conditions at the moment, a realistic asking price in South Africa would be closer to R1 million in my opinion.

Good luck!
SandPiper
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 144 times

Unread post by SandPiper » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 pm

TxT wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:44 pm

Apologies for being pedantic but an overly optimistic asking price will put you on the back foot in future negotiations. B a realistic asking price in South Africa would be closer to R1 million in my opinion.
Very optimistic, closer (south) of 750k.
Jean247
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by Jean247 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:47 pm

SandPiper wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 pm
TxT wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:44 pm

Apologies for being pedantic but an overly optimistic asking price will put you on the back foot in future negotiations. B a realistic asking price in South Africa would be closer to R1 million in my opinion.
Very optimistic, closer (south) of 750k.
R750k sounds about right i also agree, sir no disrespect to the owner
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:50 pm

I think we should all refrain from telling an aircraft/helicopter owner what his aircraft should be priced at. At the end of the day it comes down to willing buyer and willing seller.

If you are ready to buy this aircraft, talk to the owner and negotiate. If not a buyer, we should all keep quiet about the price and our perceived value. If the asking price is too high, it won't sell, simple as that.

Sorry Ron, my post was just to give you an indication that you can't really use USA prices in SA or Blue Book values. You are however free to ask what you like. :D

Whirly.
These users liked the author Whirly for the post (total 2):
Ray WCornell Blok
mi'cmaq
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by mi'cmaq » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:16 pm

YES and NO

Sometimes a advertisement for a aircraft calls for someone with prior knowledge of the aircraft to scream out

Case to point - My PZL Wilga call sign ZS-NHL had a engine out and made a forced landing in the surf between Alexander Bay and Luderitz - After consulting with the CSIR about the long term effects of salt water on the airframe ; my insurers (LLoyds of London) wrote the aircraft off - They sold the aircraft as scrap metal

The buyers asked me for the logbooks ; their story was they wanted to salvage components - I saw no harm and obliged - On reflection I should have made a note WRITTEN OFF in the Engine, propeller and airframe logbooks

I saw this very same aircraft offered for sale on Avcom ; great aircraft, low hours bla bla bla

I posted the history as I did not want some unsuspecting buyer to come unstuck if a vital component like for instance a control cable snapped as a result of salt water corrosion

The charlatan who was selling the aircraft responded that he was a man of honor and integrity and would never offer a dangerous aircraft for sale ; or words to that effect

I posted a picture of ZS-NHL on the beach with the surf breaking over it

End of story
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:32 pm

#-o
TxT
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by TxT » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 pm

Whirly wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:50 pm
I think we should all refrain from telling an aircraft/helicopter owner what his aircraft should be priced at. At the end of the day it comes down to willing buyer and willing seller.

If you are ready to buy this aircraft, talk to the owner and negotiate. If not a buyer, we should all keep quiet about the price and our perceived value. If the asking price is too high, it won't sell, simple as that.

Sorry Ron, my post was just to give you an indication that you can't really use USA prices in SA or Blue Book values. You are however free to ask what you like. :D

Whirly.
Not sure I agree Whirly.

Ron said:
brandsman wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 pm
... Anyway, I am just sounding out the market, ...
He is clearly asking for feedback as to what the market is prepared to pay. He is suggesting a price of $100 000 upwards. At the rand equivalent he will not get many nibbles. Thus he can have his post drop off the page and wait a few months to realise by trial and error that he is asking maybe too much or the posters on this page will give him numbers of what the market perception of a fair value is. As we know, Avcom will give him plenty feedback...in record time. :lol: Thus, mission accomplished for Ron.

Anyway, he is still free to ask whatever he wants to. The posts on this page reflects opinions aimed to assist him to sell his aircraft, or hold back for now and take an informed decision as to where and when he places the aircraft back on the market.
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 am

I hear you.

Whirly.

Return to “Aircraft for Sale”