Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

aerobat
ATC Delay
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: JNB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by aerobat » Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm

I started aerobatic training way back in 1986 with an S2A Pitts and continued until mid 2000 with the S2B’s, but discontinued it because all the instructors that I used are with the airlines and had too many commitments with airline flying, airshows and family life.
Since the virus has hit us, it looks like it may be a while before airshows are going to be back to normal, so I have the likes of Nigel Hopkins and Glen Warden available to do training.
Aerobatics Unlimited used to offer a basic course of 5 hours covering the graduate sequence of maneuvers of spins, loops, rolls and stall turns.
If there is enough interest when GA flying training resumes,I can get the training going again.

My email is aerobat@iafrica.com if anyone need more information.

Dennis Spence
These users liked the author aerobat for the post (total 4):
StressMerchantACE MANLarry vd MerweBeacon1
Alex_aviates
Tripped over wheel chock
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 pm
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Alex_aviates » Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm

aerobat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm
I started aerobatic training way back in 1986 with an S2A Pitts and continued until mid 2000 with the S2B’s, but discontinued it because all the instructors that I used are with the airlines and had too many commitments with airline flying, airshows and family life.
Since the virus has hit us, it looks like it may be a while before airshows are going to be back to normal, so I have the likes of Nigel Hopkins and Glen Warden available to do training.
Aerobatics Unlimited used to offer a basic course of 5 hours covering the graduate sequence of maneuvers of spins, loops, rolls and stall turns.
If there is enough interest when GA flying training resumes,I can get the training going again.

My email is aerobat@iafrica.com if anyone need more information.

Dennis Spence
That basic course seems like an excellent idea.
User avatar
Spaceman8
Fuelling up
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Spaceman8 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 pm

aerobat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm
I started aerobatic training way back in 1986 with an S2A Pitts and continued until mid 2000 with the S2B’s, but discontinued it because all the instructors that I used are with the airlines and had too many commitments with airline flying, airshows and family life.
Since the virus has hit us, it looks like it may be a while before airshows are going to be back to normal, so I have the likes of Nigel Hopkins and Glen Warden available to do training.
Aerobatics Unlimited used to offer a basic course of 5 hours covering the graduate sequence of maneuvers of spins, loops, rolls and stall turns.
If there is enough interest when GA flying training resumes,I can get the training going again.

My email is aerobat@iafrica.com if anyone need more information.

Dennis Spence
That would be fantastic!!! Just out of interest, does the number of hours matter if one is interested in joining the course if you decide to get it going again?
Liam Delaney
User avatar
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Sat May 30, 2020 5:21 am

Spaceman8 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:05 pm
aerobat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:35 pm
I started aerobatic training way back in 1986 with an S2A Pitts and continued until mid 2000 with the S2B’s, but discontinued it because all the instructors that I used are with the airlines and had too many commitments with airline flying, airshows and family life.
Since the virus has hit us, it looks like it may be a while before airshows are going to be back to normal, so I have the likes of Nigel Hopkins and Glen Warden available to do training.
Aerobatics Unlimited used to offer a basic course of 5 hours covering the graduate sequence of maneuvers of spins, loops, rolls and stall turns.
If there is enough interest when GA flying training resumes,I can get the training going again.

My email is aerobat@iafrica.com if anyone need more information.

Dennis Spence
That would be fantastic!!! Just out of interest, does the number of hours matter if one is interested in joining the course if you decide to get it going again?

No it does not however from experience training pilots aerobatics with less than 200 hours took twice as long as pilots with 400 Hours, probably due to more types on their licenses with the higher hours. It all depends on the individual and his ability to handel Aero’s.
These users liked the author Neville Ferreira for the post (total 2):
paulwSpaceman8
aerobat
ATC Delay
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: JNB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by aerobat » Sat May 30, 2020 3:48 pm

All pilots that had the privilege to learn to fly in the Air Force started aerobatics during their ab initio training.
As Neville has stated, the sooner one gets to learn aerobatics the better.
The higher time and “older” pilots, on average take a bit longer to get to grips with aerobatic flying.
These users liked the author aerobat for the post (total 4):
ACE MANpaulwSpaceman8Larry vd Merwe
User avatar
Spaceman8
Fuelling up
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Spaceman8 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Thank you guys for the feedback!! I agree one hundred percent with the sooner one learns the better, especially on how to deal with upset recoveries. And that it also depends entirely upon the individuals' ability if they can handle it.
Out of curiosity, what would be the going rates, if one is keen on learning aeros?
Liam Delaney
User avatar
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:57 am
Closest Airfield: Cab
Location: The Matrix
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 140 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by StressMerchant » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:44 am

I agree one hundred percent with the sooner one learns the better, especially on how to deal with upset recoveries.
My experience was that I learned aerobatics shortly after gaining my PPL. One of my motivations was to improve my basic handling skills - I felt they needed a polish. After aerobatics, I found that I was a lot more confident when doing Night Rating and complex type conversions. I'm a big supporter of doing basic aerobatics early.

The big plus is that you also get to meet some great pilots if you keep on with it.
These users liked the author StressMerchant for the post:
Spaceman8
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams
Wildcat_004
ATC Delay
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:44 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Wildcat_004 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 pm

This is old news: getting into aerobatics from an early stage is the best. Obviously by the right instructor. You need to get the basic manoeuvres under the knee......not for : “competition aerobatics”......aerobatics to hone your hand and eye coordination
Sorted out so you feel comfortable with vertical and lateral manoeuvres and have the confidence which will make you fly your aircraft better. And you can control the aircraft better than the average and you will have some confidence to tackle all the aerobatic manoeuvres. Part of this will be stall training a starter manoeuvres you have not seen. This will wee off the “competition manne” to a great extent. Keep living in your little kingdom....won’t last long.....
SIQ
Airspeed active
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by SIQ » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 am

Wildcat_004 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 pm
This is old news: getting into aerobatics from an early stage is the best. Obviously by the right instructor. You need to get the basic manoeuvres under the knee......not for : “competition aerobatics”......aerobatics to hone your hand and eye coordination
Sorted out so you feel comfortable with vertical and lateral manoeuvres and have the confidence which will make you fly your aircraft better. And you can control the aircraft better than the average and you will have some confidence to tackle all the aerobatic manoeuvres. Part of this will be stall training a starter manoeuvres you have not seen. This will wee off the “competition manne” to a great extent. Keep living in your little kingdom....won’t last long.....
So this is what the "little kingdom" has been up to the past 12 months.............

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=228575
User avatar
paulw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5157
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Location: Galway
Has liked: 577 times
Been liked: 203 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by paulw » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 am

SIQ wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 am
Wildcat_004 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 pm
This is old news: getting into aerobatics from an early stage is the best. Obviously by the right instructor. You need to get the basic manoeuvres under the knee......not for : “competition aerobatics”......aerobatics to hone your hand and eye coordination
Sorted out so you feel comfortable with vertical and lateral manoeuvres and have the confidence which will make you fly your aircraft better. And you can control the aircraft better than the average and you will have some confidence to tackle all the aerobatic manoeuvres. Part of this will be stall training a starter manoeuvres you have not seen. This will wee off the “competition manne” to a great extent. Keep living in your little kingdom....won’t last long.....
So this is what the "little kingdom" has been up to the past 12 months.............

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=228575
Did you see my post? Maybe training and competition events should be advertised a bit more.
And if a competition venue or date change, don't just share it in the Whatsapp group of the competitors but make it clear on Facebook group and Aerobatics site. There are plenty of people who do go and watch even if they do not participate.
.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
User avatar
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:09 am

aerobat wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:48 pm
All pilots that had the privilege to learn to fly in the Air Force started aerobatics during their ab initio training.
As Neville has stated, the sooner one gets to learn aerobatics the better.
The higher time and “older” pilots, on average, take a bit longer to get to grips with aerobatic flying.
Negative I said the opposite. Pilots with too little hours 80-200 took twice as long to learn what the pilots with 400+ hours would achieve.

After a couple of experiences like that, I took the decision not to help with aerobatic training unless the person had a previous flying experience like growing up in a flying family or at least 400 hours total time regardless of age.

From experience, a certain type of personal characteristics and professions like accountants have never shaped up in aerobatics either.
Nigel Hopkins
Power off stall
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:11 am
Closest Airfield: Lanaeria
Location: Centurion
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Nigel Hopkins » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:12 pm

Learning Aerobatics is no different to learning any other flying discipline. There are those with natural talent and some that need to work harder to achieve their goals. As always there will always be some that are just not cut out for it. It’s not about how many hours you have or what your background or profession is. What is important is having a disciplined approach, an Instructor that has the ability to teach, preferably with a formal training background and not one intent on showing their own skills and potentially scaring the student. This is very important when it comes to advanced training like Aerobatics or any unusual attitude training which takes most out of their comfort zone. The Military has always provided that disciplined and structured guidance. One only has to look at the polished performance and discipline of the Silver Falcons. There are many ex air-force instructors that have passed on these skills over the years both at Flying Schools and on the Airshow circuit. Sport and competition aerobatics also provides a disciplined and structured learning and developmental program. Many are intimidated by the word competition and “judge”, however competition aerobatics is a fantastic opportunity to do all things aerobatic. I for one have learned and continue to learn so much about my abilities and limitations and of course the incredible camaraderie the Aerobatic community offers.
These users liked the author Nigel Hopkins for the post (total 9):
Ugly DucklingmikestarkFlymansweptwingZUBSKFranswFlyingFinnStressMerchantSir Rosis
User avatar
Spaceman8
Fuelling up
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 0

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by Spaceman8 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am

I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this question,if someone used to hold an aerobatic rating but the rating has lapsed a couple of years back, in order for them to get back into the aerobatic "world" does one need to then own their own aircraft? Having spoken to the odd one or two aerobatic pilots I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with, have said that it would be best to own your own plane obviously because you will become comfortable with it and will know how it handles and performs, however, what IF...you don`t have enough funds to afford your own plane but you can afford an hour or more sortie every month or so? Any suggestions?

Yes,I also understand that doing only an hour flight each month in aerobatics is by no means beneficial,especially if you want to enter comps, because you do become a bit rusty,etc.
Liam Delaney
User avatar
FlyingFinn
Engine full power confirmed
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:33 am
Closest Airfield: FASH
Location: Somerset West
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:54 am

Spaceman8 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am
I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this question,if someone used to hold an aerobatic rating but the rating has lapsed a couple of years back, in order for them to get back into the aerobatic "world" does one need to then own their own aircraft? Having spoken to the odd one or two aerobatic pilots I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with, have said that it would be best to own your own plane obviously because you will become comfortable with it and will know how it handles and performs, however, what IF...you don`t have enough funds to afford your own plane but you can afford an hour or more sortie every month or so? Any suggestions?

Yes,I also understand that doing only an hour flight each month in aerobatics is by no means beneficial,especially if you want to enter comps, because you do become a bit rusty,etc.
Morning

Maybe talk to Ivan and see what he could do for you :)
http://www.alpiaviation.co.za/

Markku
These users liked the author FlyingFinn for the post:
Spaceman8
SIQ
Airspeed active
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by SIQ » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

Spaceman8 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am
I was wondering if anyone could assist me with this question,if someone used to hold an aerobatic rating but the rating has lapsed a couple of years back, in order for them to get back into the aerobatic "world" does one need to then own their own aircraft? Having spoken to the odd one or two aerobatic pilots I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with, have said that it would be best to own your own plane obviously because you will become comfortable with it and will know how it handles and performs, however, what IF...you don`t have enough funds to afford your own plane but you can afford an hour or more sortie every month or so? Any suggestions?

Yes,I also understand that doing only an hour flight each month in aerobatics is by no means beneficial,especially if you want to enter comps, because you do become a bit rusty,etc.
Hi Liam,

I am not sure what you are asking? The aerobatic rating that has lapsed and the aircraft you are using are not linked in any way. You can use any aerobatic capable aircraft to obtain your lapsed rating. Thus it could be your own aircraft or if you can arrange with someone to use theirs you are welcome to do so (assuming you are rated on the aircraft of course). To obtain your lapsed rating you can use an aerobatic accredited ATO or you can approach the SAC (https://www.aerobatics.co.za/). As far as Aerobatic Competitions are concerned and if you would like to compete, yes I would strongly recommend that you at least obtain shares in an aerobatic capable aircraft. As you correctly state that you will progress easier and be more comfortable in an aircraft that you are familiar with. You are welcome to contact me should you require further info.
These users liked the author SIQ for the post:
Spaceman8

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”