What is the best aerobatic aircraft out there?

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoon83
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

What is the best aerobatic aircraft out there?

Unread post by Spoon83 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi all.
Saw this video and it made me think......is there a "best" aerobatic aircraft, or is it down to personal preference?
As an Instructor, I am very interested in improving my skills as an aviator, and my next step is either aerobatics or gliding.
lastly, where would one start to learn aerobatics? (In Gauteng)
This was the video:
Last edited by Ugly Duckling on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded the YouTube link
tbone
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: JIA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 34 times

Re: What is the best aerobatic aircraft out there?

Unread post by tbone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Personal preference... Problem with planes like an Extra 330 or MX, like a Lambo or Ferrari, most will only extract a very small portuon of what the plane is really capable of.

Was a share in a Zlin 526 available not too long ago, she will do 90% of what you want, Value for money, Zlin 50 or Pitts, there is a nice pitts for sale as well.

Dale De Klerk at Krugersdorp getting a pitts into the school, has a J3 as well....

B.
...eagles may soar but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

...there is no replacement for displacement...

...‘sauvage de la journée’...

...'LOSS OF SEPARATION WITH TERRAIN'....
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 am

tbone wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm
Personal preference... Problem with planes like an Extra 330 or MX, like a Lambo or Ferrari, most will only extract a very small portuon of what the plane is really capable of.

Was a share in a Zlin 526 available not too long ago, she will do 90% of what you want, Value for money, Zlin 50 or Pitts, there is a nice pitts for sale as well.

Dale De Klerk at Krugersdorp getting a pitts into the school, has a J3 as well....

B.
Owners of Extras and MX's will totally disagree with you. Structurally the Zlin 526 is too old for aerobatics.

It all depends on your mission. Although the Extra 330 is 2008 technology it is still the prefered competition aeroplane. It looks right in the sky and due to its ratio to others like Sbach, Genevation, Slick ect. the judges have seen no many in flight that they know its characteristics almost by listening alone to what a good to perfect vertical snap sounds like from the ground. The human factor on the judging line plays a big role. Judging criteria says that the judge has to take the characteristics of the aircraft into account, but how can they for the first time when they have not had proper exposure to that new shape.
These users liked the author Neville Ferreira for the post:
Flyman
FlyingFinn
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by FlyingFinn » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:13 am

I am sure that there will be an agreement that many great aerobatic aircraft exist. :D
Once you introduce the word "best" the disagreeing starts. :shock:
if you are then able to define "best for what" then there will be a higher probability of an agreement that that aircraft would be "best" for that purpose.
as in best for learning is not the same as best for airshows or best for competition aerobatics at the highest international level
For training I believe you can contact Ivan van der Schaar @ Brakpan
http://ftp.pilotspost.com/arn0001404

Cheers
Markku
Flyman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA FAGC
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Flyman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:13 pm

My personal feelings are based on what do you want to do, Competition aerobatics or Xtreme aerobatics or fun aero's.
Then what level. Graduate , Sportsman , Intermediate , Advanced , Unlimited. Then what is your budget.
The choices are big.
PRECHECK'S !!!!!!

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”