London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4439
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm
Closest Airfield: EHTW
Location: wandering ...

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by HJK 414 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

ACE MAN wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -limit.htm

Got fired and is now doing jail time

Yes - now let's see what happens to our SAA comrade ...... :wink:

JK
Can the magic of Flight ever be carried by words ....
User avatar
beechbum
Flaps set for Take off
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:46 pm
Location: Way up there most of the time

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by beechbum » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes - now let's see what happens to our SAA comrade ...... :wink: /

Not guilty your honour! :shock:
roadrunner
Lining Up
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:14 pm
Closest Airfield: aviatorsparadise
Location: brits

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by roadrunner » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:37 am

Well if he is not quilty he is part of the "stop street sindrome" in south africa.Let me explain these days at stop streets nobody seems to know who stop first.Probably due to entitlement and then you get yelled at and cursed at.This attitude seems be all over in our country.So no matter what you did or if you are wrong if you are black you are in the clear.Just throw the race card pull in old jan van riebeeck and everything is sorted.South africa us a sick society run by even sicker politicians who again displays the stop sign sindrome
ArthurDent
Preflighting
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Closest Airfield: FALA

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by ArthurDent » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:41 am

https://www.netwerk24.com/Nuus/Algemeen ... a-20180707
Straf vir kaptein wat oor drank kla
Deur Erika Gibson 08 Julie 2018

Die vlieënier wat vroeër in Londen van ’n SAL-vlug verwyder is omdat hy na alkohol geruik het, het skotvry uit sy dissiplinêre verhoor ge­stap.

Sy kollega wat hom verkla het, was egter nie so gelukkig nie. Hy is skuldig bevind daaraan dat hy nie die lugdiens se interne prosedure gevolg het toe hy by die Heathrow-lughawe se bedryfsbeheerkamer gekla het nie. Hy moes eers die SAL se vlootkaptein in Suid-Afrika van sy vermoedens ingelig het, is bevind.

Mawethu (Mo) Majola (39) was die eerste offisier aan boord van ’n vlug wat op 2 April vanaf die Heathrow-lughawe sou vertrek, toe die vlug se kaptein, Fanie Coetzee (62), vermoed het dat hy nie nugter was nie.

Maar in sy tugverhoor sowat ’n maand gelede het Majola aangevoer ’n alkohollappie (wipe) wat gebruik is om die mikrofoon en vlugdek mee af te vee, was die oorsaak dat sy alkoholblaastoets ’n positiewe resultaat opgelewer het. Dit is so aanvaar.

Nadat Coetzee alarm gemaak het, het hy, Majola en die derde vlieënier in die kajuit almal ’n blaastoets gedoen. Majola se lesing was 0,06 mg/ml, drie keer bo die bloed-alkohol-perk van 0,02 mg/ml.

Hy is in hegtenis geneem, maar toe sy bloed ure later getoets is, was die uitslag onder die toelaatbare limiet.

Die SAL het kort ná die voorval ’n raad van ondersoek na die voorval ingestel en dié het bevind Coetzee het korrek opgetree deur dadelik alarm te maak. Coetzee het aangevoer hy het in die belang van vliegveiligheid die saak aangemeld.

Hy is nogtans ook aangekla omdat hy die goeie naam van die SAL sou beswadder het. Hy is ook aanspreeklik gehou vir die R1,75 miljoen wat dit die SAL gekos het om die vlug te kanselleer en die passasiers op ander vlugte en in hotelle plek te bied.

Hy is uiteindelik net op die mindere klag oor die interne prosedure skuldig bevind. Hy het teen sy skuldigbevinding geappelleer.

Luidens ’n bulletin van die SAL se vlieëniersvereniging (Saapa), het Coetzee binne tien minute ná die voorval die vlootkaptein gekontak, maar die SAL se voorgeskrewe prosedure bepaal dat dié kaptein eerste gebel moet word.

“Waar enige situasie die veiligheid van ’n vlug sou raak, behoort ’n vlieënier egter eerste die mees kritieke scenario te oorweeg voordat hy besluit oor die vinnigste ingryping,” lui die bulletin.

Die SAL het nie op navrae oor die bevindings gereageer nie. Tlali Tlali, SAL-woordvoerder, het vroeër gesê die aanklagte teen Coetzee en Majola is ’n interne aangeleentheid en word daarom as vertroulik beskou.

“Die voorval het die platform geskep vir die SAL om sy interne bedryfsprosesse te hersien,” het hy gesê.

Sowel Majola as Coetzee wou geen kommentaar lewer nie en het Rapport se navrae na die SAL verwys. Saapa wou ook geen verdere kommentaar lewer nie.

Coetzee, wat ook ’n regsgraad het, was voorheen ’n vluginspekteur by die Burgerlugvaartowerheid en voorsitter van die Internasionale Federasie van Vlieëniersverenigings (Ifalpa) se regskomitee.

Hy tree eersdaags ná meer as 30 jaar diens by die SAL af. Hy het tot nou ’n skoon prestasielys gehad, maar het nou ’n skriftelike waarskuwing daarop.
For those who cannot read the indigenous language, it basically says that the captain was found guilty of contravening internal SAA procedures and that the FO was found not guilty of any offence.
Swartbok
Airborne from Unmanned field
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:15 pm
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Location: Gauteng

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by Swartbok » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 pm

And initially held liable for R1.75m for the cost of the delayed flight. #-o #-o
Flying is like sex. I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I could stand.
fcvanwyk
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:56 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: Johannesburg

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by fcvanwyk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:47 pm

This must have been a real test for the captain... he probably knew what was coming if he said anything about his drunk co pilot... his whole pension was at stake. And now he is probably being advised to shut up for the sake of his pension. Next time any pilot shows up drunk its likely no one will dare speak up as they will be the ones accused of wrong doing... nicely unlogical and unsafe but hey...
Last edited by fcvanwyk on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fransw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Posts: 3476
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by Fransw » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Unfortunately the Captain didn't follow procedures! :? What was the reason for that?

Plenty of murderers on SA streets right now because the police didn't follow 'procedures' with the investigation!..
738
Avionics Master On
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by 738 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:01 pm

fcvanwyk wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:47 pm
This must have been a real test for the captain... he probably knew what was coming if he said anything about his drunk co pilot... his whole pension was at stake. And now he is probably being advised to shut up for the sake of his pension. Next time any pilot shows up drunk its likely no one will dare speak up as they will be the ones accused of wrong doing... nicely unlogical and unsafe but hey...
Why would his whole pension be at stake??
1900driver
Engine Started
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 am

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by 1900driver » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Fransw wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:58 pm
Unfortunately the Captain didn't follow procedures! :? What was the reason for that?

Plenty of murderers on SA streets right now because the police didn't follow 'procedures' with the investigation!..
Yes, it’s the SAPS officers job to know procedures.

Other than avcommers, I don’t think airline Captains are well versed in HR procedures.
User avatar
MadMacs
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm
Closest Airfield: GRJ
Location: On my bed

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by MadMacs » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm

I find it strange that the first officer got away with it considering the fact that there was alcohol in his blood hours later, albeit within the limit. I thought the limit was no alcohol at all. Secondly you would have to swallow at least a dozen wipes to get any reading in your system.

I guess Airways will have to move away from alcohol based wipes if it intoxicates the crew, heaven forbid there is an accident and they get sued.
“Hey Referee, you should open up a caravan park because the opposition are camping on the offside line!”
User avatar
GL
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8655
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by GL » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I reckon SAAPA should contest the manifest unjustness of this finding for the sake of the other black pilots who will otherwise henceforth be considered in need of affirmative action special treatment. It undermines all the values they hold as professional pilots.
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
User avatar
E.S.
Radio Call
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:39 pm
Closest Airfield: FIMP
Location: MRU

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by E.S. » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Seeing that the flight was cancelled/delayed and the matter dealt with during the pre-flight process with a breathalyzer test, would ICAO, IATA etc. have any reason to get involved seeing that the F/O got off scott free and the captain did not?
The F/O was on duty and therefore in direct contravention of the civil aviation regulations.
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate !!!
User avatar
Harm
Engine Cranking
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 pm
Closest Airfield: Toulouse
Location: Who cares

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by Harm » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:07 pm

GL wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm
I reckon SAAPA should contest the manifest unjustness of this finding for the sake of the other black pilots who will otherwise henceforth be considered in need of affirmative action special treatment. It undermines all the values they hold as professional pilots.

This finding has instantly branded all the Black Pilots - "Quota" - with preferential treatment.

.
Who needs Google.... My wife knows everything already .. :wink:
User avatar
GL
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8655
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by GL » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Harm wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:07 pm
GL wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 pm
I reckon SAAPA should contest the manifest unjustness of this finding for the sake of the other black pilots who will otherwise henceforth be considered in need of affirmative action special treatment. It undermines all the values they hold as professional pilots.

This finding has instantly branded all the Black Pilots - "Quota" - with preferential treatment.
Exactly. It diminishes them all and everything they have achieved - often against huge odds. If Majola has any self respect he should do the decent thing and resign.
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
vanjast
Taxiing to Threshold
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 pm
Closest Airfield: 200

Re: London - Johannesburg flight cxd - pilot drunk?

Unread post by vanjast » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Would the Captain's resignation with immediate effect, serve him well in finding another job elsewhere ? :?
Just curious as he has shown integrity and professionalism wrt the occupation.

Return to “Airline Chatter”