Branson open to buying a stake in SAA

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Ugly Duckling
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 276 times

Branson open to buying a stake in SAA

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am

This would be a good deal
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/natio ... gling-saa/
Richard Branson, the founder of Virgin Atlantic who is hoping to fly tourists to space in 2020 through his latest venture, says his airline would be open to considering buying an equity stake in struggling SAA.

"I have great difficulty in life saying no," the British billionaire said in an interview on Thursday. "I’m known as Dr Yes at Virgin, so if we were approached by the SA government, we’d definitely have a look."
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Branson open to buying a stake in SAA

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am

....he is a very shrewd bussinesman. He may be known as Mr. YES, but believe me, that yes comes with a lot of requirements and conditions - wich will be beneficial to both parties, to the virgin even more :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 am

V5 - LEO wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am
....he is a very shrewd bussinesman. He may be known as Mr. YES, but believe me, that yes comes with a lot of requirements and conditions - wich will be beneficial to both parties, to the virgin even more :D
Madiba sold a bankrupt "Virgin Active" to him. :idea:
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
Airwayfreak
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Airwayfreak » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am

V5 - LEO wrote:
Hey.....leave my maatjie alone. :lol: :lol: Not wanting to name-drop, but I know the man very well (did a bit of flying for him in Virgin's early stages and even had him at the game farm for a weekend on one of his SA trips) But you are correct. He does not suffer fools
These users liked the author Airwayfreak for the post (total 2):
MadMacsRay W
Mars
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by Mars » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am

Virgin Active was subsequently sold to Brait.
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by Induna » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Airwayfreak wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am
(did a bit of flying for him in Virgin's early stages and even had him at the game farm for a weekend on one of his SA trips)
you are one fortunate bugger... lol Well done!
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Airwayfreak wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am
V5 - LEO wrote:
Hey.....leave my maatjie alone. :lol: :lol: Not wanting to name-drop, but I know the man very well (did a bit of flying for him in Virgin's early stages and even had him at the game farm for a weekend on one of his SA trips) But you are correct. He does not suffer fools
...I like him, he is like Buffet, straightshooter and not too windgat (flamboyant) :D
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Johan Swakopmund
Taxiing to Threshold
Closest Airfield: Swakopmund
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by Johan Swakopmund » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Well if there is one person then Richard can do it.
Doubt however that the ANC government will ask him to take over.
Because he will not tolerate the under educated , under trained and over staffed
government cadres appointed who is not fit for their jobs.

Johan
These users liked the author Johan Swakopmund for the post (total 4):
Marsmike.allaway2Ray WEDP
NAMIBIA FLYING COUNTRY
Mars
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by Mars » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Johan Swakopmund wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:05 pm
Well if there is one person then Richard can do it.
Doubt however that the ANC government will ask him to take over.
Because he will not tolerate the under educated , under trained and over staffed
government cadres appointed who is not fit for their jobs.

Johan
Interesting point, applies to any potential equity partner.
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Any conditions he may apply will still be 1000 times better than the current gravy train (airline) that hundreds of millions is being stolen from. Just the water supplier get way more than what we would pay at Spar :idea:
These users liked the author Rotor kop for the post:
Mars
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Selfloader
Power off Glide
Closest Airfield: Margate
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Selfloader » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm

I too know Richard Branson reasonably well. The first time I interviewed him (in the '80s) he was in a bath at the Carlton Hotel and I stood outside the closed bathroom door putting questions to him. He was here (in JHB) and running late to launch some sort of cool drink that wld rival Coke or something like that. It failed. The next time I interviewed him, while we
were playing a pinball machine on CT's Camps Bay (very late at night), for some or other fanciful project - probably the launch of Virgin ops into SA - he told me that he was interested in buying the Blue Train service. Big story in the Sunday Times. Nothing happened. Here's the thing. Branson, now Sir Richard, loves publicity. Will do and say anything to increase his profile. But unless the deal is an absolute bargain, he won't take it. The only reason he wld want to buy into SAA, as I see it, wld be to increase competition against BA with the extra slots he wld gain into Heathrow (is that possible?). Branson is a groot bek, but not a fool. He needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
These users liked the author Selfloader for the post (total 2):
GLBD
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by GL » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Selfloader wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
I too know Richard Branson reasonably well. The first time I interviewed him (in the '80s) he was in a bath at the Carlton Hotel and I stood outside the closed bathroom door putting questions to him. He was here (in JHB) and running late to launch some sort of cool drink that wld rival Coke or something like that. It failed. The next time I interviewed him, while we
were playing a pinball machine on CT's Camps Bay (very late at night), for some or other fanciful project - probably the launch of Virgin ops into SA - he told me that he was interested in buying the Blue Train service. Big story in the Sunday Times. Nothing happened. Here's the thing. Branson, now Sir Richard, loves publicity. Will do and say anything to increase his profile. But unless the deal is an absolute bargain, he won't take it. The only reason he wld want to buy into SAA, as I see it, wld be to increase competition against BA with the extra slots he wld gain into Heathrow (is that possible?). Branson is a groot bek, but not a fool. He needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Agreed - Pretty much what i said on John Maytham's show this pm. And no one would buy SAA without operational control and the debt having been paid down = about R35 billion.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by evanb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Selfloader wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
The only reason he wld want to buy into SAA, as I see it, wld be to increase competition against BA with the extra slots he wld gain into Heathrow (is that possible?). Branson is a groot bek, but not a fool. He needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Virgin Group only owns 20% of Virgin Atlantic these days, so any interest in SAA would have little to do with Virgin Atlantic.
AnAV8R
Straight and Level
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by AnAV8R » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am

Richard will no longer be a Virgin....he will be F**%
:smt096

(Mods : Thats a joke for a boring Monday morning...!...nothing personal to both parties... :D )
Areaman
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Areaman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am
This would be a good deal
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/natio ... gling-saa/
Richard Branson, the founder of Virgin Atlantic who is hoping to fly tourists to space in 2020 through his latest venture, says his airline would be open to considering buying an equity stake in struggling SAA.

"I have great difficulty in life saying no," the British billionaire said in an interview on Thursday. "I’m known as Dr Yes at Virgin, so if we were approached by the SA government, we’d definitely have a look."
I will have whatever he is smoking......and little more!
Deep dark hole💵💴💶💸

Return to “Airline Chatter”