SAA in Business rescue

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 428 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 am

....this criminal, you cannot employ staff (on and off on personnel record and withdraw these benefits without consent from them and labour), that is lower than low! :evil:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Ugly Duckling
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: Brakpan Benoni FABB
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 791 times

Unread post by Ugly Duckling » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am

Effective 4 months after the fact the announcement is made [-X
Paul Sabatier EAA Ch 575, SSSA, ERGC, ERFC, AeroClub
Long time Cygnet builder
The object is to fly, it does not matter what the object is!
HJK 414
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: ALC - DUS
Has liked: 352 times
Been liked: 932 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:48 am

GL wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:51 am
This is just nasty...

Yes Guy,

This is nasty to the point of criminal.

It is high time that everyone reaches out to their contacts and peers and communicate this widely.
It is high time that SAA get's locked out of the Star Alliance Group.
It is high time that AMO's at airports that SAA wish to fly into, close their doors for SAA

And the DPE is now showing the complete and utter disregard of previous agreements,
Thereby showing it's real face as an unreliable partner (in the name of the Government).

Perhaps someone can put together a communication package we can send around with a brief summary of all that has transpired
Hiring on race / lockouts / negating agreements etc etc etc ....
Add the letters of p.e United Airlines etc .....
We can then send to all and sundry - see how the DPE etc like the advertising .....(of their true colour that is ....)

JK
These users liked the author HJK 414 for the post:
b-rad
evanb
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 328 times

Unread post by evanb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm
The AHRLAC BRP wrangling has not been finalized as yet, it was initiated in April 2019. There are a few creditor queries outstanding.
This is a "small operation" in comparison to SAA, so to claim that it is close to conclusion is likely wishful thinking.
Not all creditor issues need to be finalized before the business rescue ends, however, this is pretty much the point that I was making: the BRPs will file the paperwork of their intention, but that doesn't mean the process is over. The wording from the BRP's is nuanced indicating that they intend to file the paperwork by the end of March.

Will all the affected parties accept it, unlikely? However, will they be able to hold back the finalization? Also unlikely that they'll be able to hold it back for too long, mostly because the affected parties with the biggest claims (aircraft lessors and banks) are all on board with the plan.
Falafel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 265 times

Unread post by Falafel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm

Said it once and I will say it again... SAAPA should never have gone this route. While they may have been right or wrong is immaterial to the fact that going up against SAA, its management and the attitude there has and will cost their members money.

Sticking it out for principle is costing their members and I suspect there are some ego's at SAAPA that just wont admit when they are outgunned...

Again this is NOT about right or wrong, this is a reality check in terms of whats reasonably possible right now.

They should have taken the initial offer and written it down to experience dealing with a corrupt state owned organisation with no ethics or morals whatsoever :!:
Volo
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 405 times

Unread post by Volo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:15 pm

Falafel wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm
Said it once and I will say it again... SAAPA should never have gone this route. While they may have been right or wrong is immaterial to the fact that going up against SAA, its management and the attitude there has and will cost their members money.

Sticking it out for principle is costing their members and I suspect there are some ego's at SAAPA that just wont admit when they are outgunned...

Again this is NOT about right or wrong, this is a reality check in terms of whats reasonably possible right now.

They should have taken the initial offer and written it down to experience dealing with a corrupt state owned organisation with no ethics or morals whatsoever :!:

I don't think you are right about this . If they are not going to liquidate SAA which it appears is going to be the case then SAAPA have every right to pursue the settlement of their claims which are I believe in line with the established agreements and it is not for SAA to renege on these agreements especially as they are applying selective racial selection for their V2 pilots which they claim is approved in terms of the countries constitution.

If they liquidated then they would only get what was left in the pot which I think would be nothing .

As for SAAPAs chances in a court of law I think they should win but can they hold out that long which is once again the state manipulating the legal system because they have the deeper pockets .
These users liked the author Volo for the post (total 2):
pdarneHJK 414
SIQ
Post Take off checks
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by SIQ » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Volo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:15 pm
Falafel wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm

I don't think you are right about this . If they are not going to liquidate SAA which it appears is going to be the case then SAAPA have every right to pursue the settlement of their claims which are I believe in line with the established agreements and it is not for SAA to renege on these agreements especially as they are applying selective racial selection for their V2 pilots which they claim is approved in terms of the countries constitution.

If they liquidated then they would only get what was left in the pot which I think would be nothing .

As for SAAPAs chances in a court of law I think they should win but can they hold out that long which is once again the state manipulating the legal system because they have the deeper pockets .
The thing of these last 2 exchanges is the fact that it would soon be resolved as to who was right and who was wrong. Unfortunately my money is on Falafel. Let’s hope I am wrong
Caravan Driver
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Caravan Driver » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Could SAAPA apply for a liquidation of SAA to get what is due to their members?
"Pilots are a rare kind of human being... They take to the skies to purify their souls and only return to earth once they have received the communion of the infinite!"
Ned Yakman
Taxiing
Closest Airfield: Cape Town International
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by Ned Yakman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:26 pm

GL wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:53 am
Jfairwell wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm
I read a piece by Hein Kaiser, in which Guy is quoted, that the shortlisted candidates for the SAA CEO position are -

- Wrenelle Stander (ex Comair)

- Carla de Silva (ex Air Mauritius, resigned with effect 30 April

- Nonny Mashike (DPE)

- Mark Barnes (ex Post Office, Purple Capital, Standard Bank)

Can anyone confirm?
Odd piece. Hein Keiser (former Mango PRO) phoned me for comment on a list of those four names. Luckily he did not print everything I said. I said Wrenelle was probably the most likely/best of the bunch. She has however now told me she would not accept the job even if it were to be offered.
Carla da Silva resigned from Air Mauritius a few days ago and according to Travel News's report yesterday, she's not saying where she's going. Also worth noting the recent Mail & Guardian article which suggested SAA was to be moved out of DPE and placed under the Dept of Transport, with current ACSA CEO, Mpumi Mpofu, taking over as the airline's CEO.
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 409 times

Unread post by GL » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Ned Yakman wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:26 pm
......... current ACSA CEO, Mpumi Mpofu, taking over as the airline's CEO.
Probably a good choice - within the constraints of transformation
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 409 times

Unread post by GL » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:22 pm

So SAA is clearly getting desperate.
Chief Pilot Vusi Khumalo is reportedly putting out offers to locked out and striking Training Captains to come back on fixed contracts to train on A319s and A340s. These will of course be scab labour - and it is unlawful for SAA to make this offer.
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 428 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:41 pm

......ok here goes, speculation cap and hat on - just read a snippet Polekwane airport downgraded, as has so many others before (though re-instated) later again - is the powers behind SAA V2.1 playing the organ to the tune of closing down all other airports for commercial travel except the 5 major ones, which they in turn will somehow get "rights" to be sole operator from, so smothering the LCC into non existance? Dark, far fetched, yes maybe, but I put nothing on the table against them!?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
HJK 414
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: ALC - DUS
Has liked: 352 times
Been liked: 932 times

Unread post by HJK 414 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:34 pm

GL wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:22 pm
Chief Pilot Vusi Khumalo is reportedly putting out offers to locked out and striking Training Captains to come back on fixed contracts to train on A319s and A340s. These will of course be scab labour - and it is unlawful for SAA to make this offer.

Guy,

Every time we see matters like this appear on Avcom - I mentally seem to draw a line ......

Every time I seem to feel - "we have now reached rock bottom - things can only get better from this point onwards ....."

Yet - without fail - these people manage to stoop to lower points on the scale.

How on earth are they going to run an airline if they do not even have the self-respect to control their own actions.

JK
These users liked the author HJK 414 for the post (total 2):
Mouserpdarne
Peblehead
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: Foar26ly
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by Peblehead » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 pm

GL wrote:
Guy is this the Captain who miscalculated the take off weight ?
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 1685 times
Been liked: 514 times

Unread post by Ray W » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:58 am

Peblehead wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 pm
GL wrote:
Guy is this the Captain who miscalculated the take off weight ?
He was part of that crew.
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill

Return to “Airline Chatter”