Typical Airline Roster

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

JulietPapa
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Typical Airline Roster

Unread post by JulietPapa » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:59 am

Good day everyone

I was hoping I can get some help from the guys flying in the airlines already. I am thinking of hopefully making the jump over to one of our carriers in the near to distant future. I can't make up my mind, as I'm sure all of them are excellent companies to work for.

I would like to know what does a typical airline pilot roster looks like for Airlink, Comair, and FlySafair preferably out of JHB?

I'm not too concerned about earning the fattest paycheck or flying the latest and biggest aircraft. The deciding factor for me would be how many nights I'm sleeping in my own bed.

Does your base location affect your roster? Meaning the JHB base will have more night stops compared to CT, or visa versa?

I also don't want to jump ship, because of seniority.

I understand the pandemic has thrown all normality in the aviation industry out of the window. But none the less, your honest help would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to PM me as well if you prefer doing so.

Thanks again.
"The airplane stays up, because it doesn't have the time to fall." - Orville Wright
Flying88
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Typical Airline Roster

Unread post by Flying88 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi there JulietPapa.

I can speak only for Airlink and Comair, although I would take all the information you receive on your thread here with a pinch of salt. COVID has wreaked havoc in our industry and I would suggest that most of the people who can give you the advice you seek would be biased to report from a more recent/COVID related stand-point.

Airlink roster was always very different depending what fleet you were on. And then also ever-changing depending on what route your fleet was put on...

But as an overview, we once flew 300hrs in 90 days with approximately 7 night stops in that period, however the average was around 50-60 hrs per month at Link.

At COMAIR, pre-COVID, I would say we did approx. 3 night stops a month and around 65hrs per month, but with far better planned pairings, i.e. less duty and more variety.

From my answers here you could surely work out my fleets and positions if you were in the industry but so be it...

I hope this helps.
AOYB
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by AOYB » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:38 pm

I used to do around 60-70hrs a month, and no night stops

But as of now my roster (I presume) says off, off, off and so on 🤷🏻‍♂️
I am the last Cylon...
Piperdriver
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Piperdriver » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Right now, we as flight deck crew here in a South Africa, will be in for a hard slog. Airline management will continue to squeeze concessions in terms of pay, rostering rules etc

The average crew member will be flying more for less, for the foreseeable future at least. Given the carnage that has befallen the industry, those with jobs right now are fortunate and are just holding on for better days.
These users liked the author Piperdriver for the post:
AviatorChuck
southside
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 401 times

Unread post by southside » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am

Piperdriver wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm
Right now, we as flight deck crew here in a South Africa, will be in for a hard slog. Airline management will continue to squeeze concessions in terms of pay, rostering rules etc

The average crew member will be flying more for less, for the foreseeable future at least. Given the carnage that has befallen the industry, those with jobs right now are fortunate and are just holding on for better days.
Completely agree. To the original poster, this is no time for picking and choosing. If you have an airline job, or any job for that matter, hold onto it with every finger that you have. If you get employed elsewhere, don’t worry about how many nights you can sleep at home, at least for now. Be great full that you can pay for the home itself to live in.

To answer your original question, when I was in the airlines I really enjoyed the roster. Typically flying 3 days on with 2 or 3 days off and most nights at home. But it was not for me. Sitting at FL360 with an autopilot got pretty boring. The monotonous JHB-CPT-JHB-DBN-JHB really got, well…monotonous. A summer highveld thunderstorm into JHB or a warm front with low cloud and rain on the coast offered some entertainment here and there. Perhaps a South Westerly buster too make things interesting. But alas, I’d rather fly into sabi sands and see the look on a tourists face when they see a zeeeebra for the first time. I wouldn’t change the charter life for anything. 5 star lodges in the bush, beautiful sunrise game drives, flying a variety of piston and turbine aeroplanes. All this while instilling the discipline and SOP’s that I learnt from my airline days. I enjoy doing the line training for youngsters getting into the charter industry. Teaching pilots too not be cowboys on a dead leg home just because nobody is watching, but also enjoying the freedom of charter work. It’s a fine balance.

I haven’t seen my two boys in 4 days and I’m back for 1 day on Wednesday before I’m off to the Kalahari for another few days. But it’s still better than deep dark Africa contract work, gone for months at a time. Been there, done that.

If an SOE offers you a flight deck position, and you already have a job abroad or have the means too support yourself otherwise, I would advise you to tell them to stick their position where the sun don’t shine.

That said, do what you gotta do to pay the bills.

I’m paying mine now after watching a beautiful Kruger sunset.
These users liked the author southside for the post (total 5):
V5 - LEOwesleyVezasieGadgetsJSBmwa
wesleyVezasie
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wesleyVezasie » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:08 am

southside wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am
Piperdriver wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Completely agree. To the original poster, this is no time for picking and choosing. If you have an airline job, or any job for that matter, hold onto it with every finger that you have. If you get employed elsewhere, don’t worry about how many nights you can sleep at home, at least for now. Be great full that you can pay for the home itself to live in.

To answer your original question, when I was in the airlines I really enjoyed the roster. Typically flying 3 days on with 2 or 3 days off and most nights at home. But it was not for me. Sitting at FL360 with an autopilot got pretty boring. The monotonous JHB-CPT-JHB-DBN-JHB really got, well…monotonous. A summer highveld thunderstorm into JHB or a warm front with low cloud and rain on the coast offered some entertainment here and there. Perhaps a South Westerly buster too make things interesting. But alas, I’d rather fly into sabi sands and see the look on a tourists face when they see a zeeeebra for the first time. I wouldn’t change the charter life for anything. 5 star lodges in the bush, beautiful sunrise game drives, flying a variety of piston and turbine aeroplanes. All this while instilling the discipline and SOP’s that I learnt from my airline days. I enjoy doing the line training for youngsters getting into the charter industry. Teaching pilots too not be cowboys on a dead leg home just because nobody is watching, but also enjoying the freedom of charter work. It’s a fine balance.

I haven’t seen my two boys in 4 days and I’m back for 1 day on Wednesday before I’m off to the Kalahari for another few days. But it’s still better than deep dark Africa contract work, gone for months at a time. Been there, done that.

If an SOE offers you a flight deck position, and you already have a job abroad or have the means too support yourself otherwise, I would advise you to tell them to stick their position where the sun don’t shine.

That said, do what you gotta do to pay the bills.

I’m paying mine now after watching a beautiful Kruger sunset.
This sums up exactly why I love the charter flying I’m currently doing! =D>
30foursouth
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FASH
Been liked: 0

Unread post by 30foursouth » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm

FlySafair does not night stop and runs a fixed pattern roster.
34south
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: George
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by 34south » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:38 am

We once had an airline that gave you the option to fly long or short range. You could bid and ask for regional (MRU/NBO/DAR) to log productivity, or 4 x around the same storm, nights stops or sleep in your own bed. The long range folk could go for lengthy flights with on-route slips or short 3 day flights and even options for regional and RSD flights too.

Wouldn’t it have been great if that airline could have been well run, so that it could have expanded and given many more pilots access to the above rosters, with even more options?

Wouldn’t it also be great (Covid notwithstanding) if that was the roster benchmark in this country? With the mess this industry is in, the benchmark is simply to have a job & that’s not to be sneezed at. Sad that you’d now need a British or American passport to make that roster a reality. Locally, I’d place my bets on Safair (or Roger F) being the first to introduce wide bodies. That will be great!
These users liked the author 34south for the post:
IKTAV
@jb
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Petit
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by @jb » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:50 pm

IF you want to sleep in your own bed dont become a pilot.
southside
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: around
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 401 times

Unread post by southside » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 pm

@jb wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:50 pm
:lol:
Caravan Driver
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by Caravan Driver » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 pm

@jb wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:50 pm
Ja the hosties cannot afford great beds on their salaries! :lol:
"Pilots are a rare kind of human being... They take to the skies to purify their souls and only return to earth once they have received the communion of the infinite!"

Return to “Airline Chatter”