SAA in Business rescue

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Bell 407
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:38 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 205 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Bell 407 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 am

Image
These users liked the author Bell 407 for the post:
Dan the Man
trees
FREDA checks
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm
Closest Airfield: eggw
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by trees » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 am

Bell 407 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 am
Image
A350’s SDC & SDD are there too. 3 of the Transaero 747’s stored there in Teruel are also ex-SAA.
African Flyer
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by African Flyer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Bell 407 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:51 am
Image
Sad sight 💔
Positive rate! :D
ZX357
Mags On
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 am
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by ZX357 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:37 pm

User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 17673
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 1320 times
Been liked: 434 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Ray W » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:49 pm

R10.5 billion for SAA
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
117
Helicopter getting close
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:49 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by 117 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Ray W wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:49 pm
R10.5 billion for SAA
R17 billion, actually.

10.5 is new, 6.5 is still from a promise in February
User avatar
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 17673
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Location: Atlasville.
Has liked: 1320 times
Been liked: 434 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Ray W » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:10 pm

117 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:06 pm
Ray W wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:49 pm
R10.5 billion for SAA
R17 billion, actually.

10.5 is new, 6.5 is still from a promise in February
In total yes but the 6.5 wasn't in this budget speech
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10345
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 412 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Absolutely bonkers.
We can't afford it as a nation.
Instead of letting it die, rather cut budgets that affect people, and increase the tax burden on overburdened businesses and the taxpayer.
For what? To fund a lame duck that will never get out of the corrupt, mismanaged hole it is in, so it can provide a service we don't need, that other airlines can easily fill.

Would love to know the LSD-fuelled, alternate reality where this makes sense.
These users liked the author cage for the post:
Mouser
User avatar
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6979
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 292 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Mboweni:
This allocation is in addition to the R16.4 billion allocated over the 2020 MTEF in the February Budget for settling guaranteed debt and interest.
So R26.9 billion!
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Jfairwell
Lining Up
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 25 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Jfairwell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:43 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:36 pm
Absolutely bonkers.
We can't afford it as a nation.
Instead of letting it die, rather cut budgets that affect people, and increase the tax burden on overburdened businesses and the taxpayer.
For what? To fund a lame duck that will never get out of the corrupt, mismanaged hole it is in, so it can provide a service we don't need, that other airlines can easily fill.

Would love to know the LSD-fuelled, alternate reality where this makes sense.
The LSD-fuelled alternate reality is the ANC reality of this not being about saving the airline, but about aircraft procurement post-rescue as a means to fund the party.

OEMs were invited to DPE in the week after the business plan became "unconditional" in July.
These users liked the author Jfairwell for the post:
Mouser
fly...fisher
Pre-take off checks
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17 am
Closest Airfield: FABB
Location: Boksburg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by fly...fisher » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:01 pm

I want to start one of those competion bets like alot of the sports matches have. R50 entry and closest person to guess the date to the day they run out of cash again and need a bailout wins the pot. I'll post my banking details shortly :lol: :wink:
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10345
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 412 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:12 pm

fly...fisher wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:01 pm
I want to start one of those competion bets like alot of the sports matches have. R50 entry and closest person to guess the date to the day they run out of cash again and need a bailout wins the pot. I'll post my banking details shortly :lol: :wink:
Depends how much PPE they need to buy, put me down for July 2021 :smt093
Confused Pilot
Taxiing
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 am
Closest Airfield: JHB Int
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by Confused Pilot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:33 pm

I didn't see the speech. Was anything mentioned about the 1b for Mango? Or will that be hush hush and SAA will pay it across to Mango?
User avatar
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Posts: 10345
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Location: ..for the grass 35
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 412 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by cage » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 pm

So 20+ % of the funds have been siphoned from the policing and higher education budgets.
Who needs safety and education anyway.
Money well spent.
At least when you can't get employed because of a lack of education, you can resort to crime and not worry about being caught.
These users liked the author cage for the post (total 2):
IO520CBMouser
User avatar
V5 - LEO
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7278
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 319 times

Re: SAA in Business rescue

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:24 pm

cage wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 pm
So 20+ % of the funds have been siphoned from the policing and higher education budgets.
Who needs safety and education anyway.
Money well spent.
At least when you can't get employed because of a lack of education, you can resort to crime and not worry about being caught.
.....yeah and the C-19 billions that is "lost"?
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie

Return to “Airline Chatter”