Where to fly - Gauteng

Unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), commonly known as a drone and also referred to as an unpiloted aerial vehicle and a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), is an aircraft without a human pilot aboard.

Moderator: Moderators

RuanS
Heli and Fixed Wing Pilot now best mates
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Where to fly - Gauteng

Unread post by RuanS » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am

Morning everyone,

I know drones are frowned apron on avcom but, I would like to start a new topic to check where drones can be flown legally and safely in Gauteng. Where do you fly your drones? Any get together and safe areas?

Please do not turn this into a drone hating and bashing topic like the last one :wink: . I just want info on where people get to fly their toys without upsetting someone.
Bumpy
Preflighting

Re: Where to fly - Gauteng

Unread post by Bumpy » Tue May 15, 2018 9:01 am

I found this useful tool that you can draw a radius onto a Google Map to check the spot you intend to fly from and make sure that there are no airfields within 10km.

http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/ ... &u=km&r=10

Just place the cursor on the spot you want to fly from and then zoom out to see the 10km radius.
RuanS

Unread post by RuanS » Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am

Bumpy wrote:I found this useful tool that you can draw a radius onto a Google Map to check the spot you intend to fly from and make sure that there are no airfields within 10km.

http://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/ ... &u=km&r=10

Just place the cursor on the spot you want to fly from and then zoom out to see the 10km radius.
Thank you. I have an app called UAV Forecast that I check for the same info. Essentially I would like to know if there are a group of people that fly and where they fly. Location recommendations so to speak.
garymac
Reaching GFA
Closest Airfield: tzaneen

Unread post by garymac » Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Yes I agree about drones being frowned upon and that because when some one does something stupid ones in a blue moon it make good news for humans but every day drones are doing more and more good but it never heard off because the positive drone do makes for boring new and reading .

Just do what I do and follow the drone rules and don't fly close the poeple, building, no fly zones and respect the neighbours privacy and go fly in an open field and have a blast and if someone complains apologies with a smile and move on to the next spot.

I have come to relise there are really very little poeple that has an isue with drone and are more interested in the drone and what you doing than giving you a problem .
IcarusZulu
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Magalies Gliding Club

Unread post by IcarusZulu » Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 pm

There are plenty of places to fly Quads - Not Drones. Quads don't have GPS telemetry and can be flown under Park Flyer Rules according to SAMAA rules. Even drones as long as they are flown line of sight fall into this category as long as they are under 1Kg these rules are a outdated and should be updated as the only rule you'd be breaking is the Max RPM rule of 15000RPM most drones and quads operate 16000-27000 RPM.
Here are the rules...
Also check out some of the FPV Facebook pages and clubs as they have locations they use with permission from the land owners or have registered the field with SAMAA
https://www.samaa.org.za/docs/info_u2n5888ZW167ATf.pdf
Engines who needs em anyhow?

ZS-GPD, ZS-GXA
RuanS

Unread post by RuanS » Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am

Thank you all for the info
itzik levi
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Irene

Unread post by itzik levi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 am

Are there any drone clubs in Johannesburg that travel and fly drones in different areas and that also do aerial photography? If not, will there be enough people to start something like that?

Thanks
Itzik
Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude
edwoodza
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAAA

Unread post by edwoodza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 am

check out the maps here
https://www.purpleturtle.co.za/articles ... uth-africa
has the 10km exclusion zone around
airfields
airports
helipads (registered and unregistered)

(please note it does not have wonderboom airspace in it at top of may)

So to answer the question where you can fly in GP, anywhere as long as its well out of JHB lol

ALSO NOTE:
drone aps like DJI and forecast show USA drone laws (5km exclusion zones) and also do not show update and complete map of airfields, airports and helipads. Trusting them only will get one in hot water. And ignorance is not a legal plea for this.

Also some of the advice given above i would caution as its not strictly correct. CAA Part 101 is pretty clear on things. and does not have weight restriction on drones, nor does it make any differentiation between quads or octo etc. Drone is a drone is a drone, GPS or no GPS CAA view it the same way...cause well...ITS A DRONE

Caution re drone photography, its legal if you taking selfies (assuming you flying in legal area that is) BUT post it to social media or to Youtube and its viewed commercial as you can benefit financially from it. Be aware

I realize what i am saying above may not sit well but sadly its reality and reality in most cases BITES

Return to “Drones, UAVs”