Rebuild after Continental disease

Since 1905 has been a recognized world leader in the development of aviation products.

Moderator: Moderators

boneman
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 0

Rebuild after Continental disease

Unread post by boneman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:24 pm

The IO-520 BB in the Bonnie started to suffer severe signs of worn rings, cylinders and valve guides. This after 860 hours since factory reman. The cam also showed signs of wear, but the crank was still good. The itch for an upgrade to a IO-550 disappeared with the value of the Rand at the moment.
The rebuild was then undertaken with new Millenium cylinders, Ram cam, new mags, recondition fuel system and a new alternator.
The engine was installed today and very excited to see what the difference will be with a new engine :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gert Swartz
Leon B
Mags Dead Cut
Has liked: 0

Re: Rebuild after Continental disease

Unread post by Leon B » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 am

Hi Boneman
That engine looks really good! It is a shame to cover it with a cowling.
I recognize the engine shop in your picture. They have done a few engines for me and I have never been disappointed.
Enjoy the “new” Bonnie.
LB
boneman
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 7 times

Re: Rebuild after Continental disease

Unread post by boneman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Leon B wrote:Hi Boneman
That engine looks really good! It is a shame to cover it with a cowling.
I recognize the engine shop in your picture. They have done a few engines for me and I have never been disappointed.
Enjoy the “new” Bonnie.
LB
Leon, yes it is a shame to cover it with cowls. Had a few remarks of how neat the installation was done.
Up to today we have done almost 6 hours, two trips, one up north and one south.
First experience for me, this break in of an engine. CHTs getting stable and not so nervous when we close the cowls. Looks like 5-8 kts faster on the IAS. This with a hawk eye from Lex. :D
Thanks
Gert
Gert Swartz

Return to “Continental Motors”