PRICE OF MICROAIR TRANSPONDER

The Jabiru Engine which is used in many other aircraft.

Moderator: Moderators

singleton
Radio Call
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PRICE OF MICROAIR TRANSPONDER

Unread post by singleton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Guys

I need to know the price of a new Microair Transponder. Have checked Google , cant get an actual price , just that they are out of stock. Even an aproximation will do . (without the harness). Will contact Jab if this post comes up empty.
Thanks Guys
Sue 082 5677489
LIGHT SPORT JABIRU INSTRUCTOR
Induna
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASD
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: PRICE OF MICROAIR TRANSPONDER

Unread post by Induna » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 pm

sue,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ckkey=4906

you can give the item number to Infinity and they will give you a price, landed in RSA

jacques
Jacques van der Westhuizen
ZU-xxx | VANS RV-8 in the making...
ZS-WSW | Sonerai 2L
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by rainier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Sue, Microair went out of business perhaps 10 years ago ?
The website is still up but everything shows "out of stock".

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
bluboyz
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: YMAY
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by bluboyz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:27 am

G'day Sue,

Microair Avionics, of Bundaberg Qld Australia, has not gone out of business. I spoke with Sue (Microair) just now wrt on +61 7 4160 8200, Sue said that they are out of stock and plan another production run later this year, and are awaiting on confirmation from their parts suppliers, and CASA etc.. Microair have emailed a response to this back order enquiry ~

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your call earlier.

Management have had discussions with our Operations/Engineering Teams regarding the M760Q Transceivers or T2000SFL’s and we have been advised as follows;

· Parts suppliers are currently being reviewed, and our Engineering team are identifying/replacing obsolete parts,
· When suitable suppliers have been identified, amendments will be submitted to CASA for approval,
When approvals are obtained, we will be able to determine new retail prices and projected production schedule.

As you can appreciate this is long and detailed process and I would expect that this will not completed before the end of November 2017.

Thank-you for your patience and apologies for this inconvenience.
I have noted to contact you once more units become available.

Kind Regards
Jodie Horton
T: 07 4160 8200
E: sales@microair.com.au
rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by rainier » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks, very interesting.

There is a problem though - both the radio as well as the transponder are seriously outdated and it is not just a matter of finding replacements for obsolete parts. The radio is a dual superhet receiver - in a very old fashioned way using ceramic filters for the second IF and traditional L/C manually tuned filters for the first IF and tuner. These parts have not been manufactured for a long time now (a very big problem for almost every manufacturer of airband radios).
The second problem is that the radio is unable to do 8.33Khz channel spacing. You cannot "modify" an existing design for this. You have to start over.
The radio requires a complete redesign. There is absolutely nothing in the existing design that is reusable in my opinion except for the housing.

The transponder is a mode-a/c. It is a good transponder, a little on the low power side but OK for smaller aircraft. Reviving this has issues as well - you would unfortunately have to redesign the transmitter due to obsolete parts. The trouble is - who will still buy this ? Even here in South Africa selling a mode-a/c is difficult (we just sent about a dozen of them back to the U.S. from our stock as obsolete after our dear CAA made some statements on mode-s mandates for the future).

If somebody in Oz got the wild idea of buying what was left of Microair and simply replacing a few parts and restarting the production - I think they have not done their homework. It would be easier to throw everything away, just use the brand name and start over.

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.

Return to “Jabiru Engines”